December 2004

I never knew of Robin Williams.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Robin Williams was rather talented, but I feel like the fame and praise may have been excessive, and I can imagine how that would limit you. Imagine trying to live up to a legend... Whose ego is that resilient to criticism? I don't think that's really good for anyone. No surprise really. The whole celebrity thing is incredibly unhealthy.

On a similar note, I haven't seen much from Jim Carrey lately. Of course, he may just be enjoying the fruits of his humor, but the last times I've seen him I've been surprised how much he appears to have aged... I hope it's at least natural aging and not drug or health related... That said, he has already made his mark. No harm done if he never graces our screens again. I certainly hope he will though. (Sure, he hasn't stopped making movies entirely, ...)

Of course, it's entirely feasible that mental "disorders" and/or just weird development may have been the cause of the brilliance in actors/comedians/artists/etc. such as these and the depression or destructive behavior may be linked to it as well. In some ways, it may even be sick of us to exploit their conditions for our own amusement, but alas it's never so black and white.

I have never really been hostile towards suicide because it always kind of made sense to me. Perhaps because I've been on the verge of suicidal before and the people that called me selfish were really only concerned with themselves.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Sadly, genius, and especially comedy genius too often come with a bit of insanity. It's a fine line.

I can't imagine that any truly good comedian is perfectly sane. I don't think it works that way. You have to ask where they get their insight from, especially the comedians with darker material.

I personally am hostile towards suicide, and I've been depressed enough to do it. Luckily I have one magic coping mechanism that seems to keep me from taking that one final step. It seems no matter what, I get shocked out of the deepest parts of the depression (and apathy) by the thought (or hallucination) of suicide itself.

Yes, I do think a person who commits suicide is horribly selfish. And yes, "people like me" are also being horribly selfish when they say things like this. But fuck it. If you think you are so fucking precious that you are all that matters, yes, you're being a fucking little dink who needs his (or her) diapers changed.

I've been there, I know exactly what it's like. I don't think the "woe is me" attitude is excuse enough to take the easy way out and leave everyone else to mop up after you. Basically, its a massive "FUCK YOU" to everyone that ever cared for you. So those that buy what that internet comic strip above has to say? Fuck you.

...[1]

References

1. I just watched a bunch of Robin Williams material. I may have leached some of his on stage personality (especially the vocabulary), but so fuckin what!

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Derezo said:

In what way is suicide not a selfish solution to that problem?

Wow, you're one cold hearted prick aren't you?! I have been there, and it is a very dark place, very sad, very lonely and at the time, there only seems like one way out, going on seems intolerable. You can't know what it is like unless you have been there and it saddens me that he was at that place and couldn't be helped through it.

People like you, I would plant your face into the pavement if I ever met you in person and you said shit to me about someone that committed suicide. Guaranteed! >:(

My feelings for the man have nothing to do with his celebrity status either, I see it as a human being was so saddened and depressed he seen death as the only way out, and that bothers me, it is very sad, if you have any compassion you will feel the same, otherwise you're just a cold hearted prick. Period.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Thing is, you're not alone. You know that, but you choose to ignore it.

Depression sucks. I know it[1]. You know it. It's up to you how you deal with it.

References

1. very intimately

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Thing is, you're not alone. You know that, but you choose to ignore it.

Depression sucks. I know it[1]. You know it. It's up to you how you de

You don't know what in fuck you are talking about idiot! Holy fuck, you make it look like some sort of logical decision making process. It is NOT! You are intensely sad, you are at the deepest, most depressing, saddened state a person can be in, and you don't want to be there any more. I don't believe for one second you have EVER been there, your responses prove you have not. >:(

---

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Bullshit. See, its more of this "wa wa wa, you don't know me, I'm in pain, im all that matters" emo bullshit. Been there, done that. Got the prescriptions to prove it.

I have been there. I thought the same things. I've had to fight through it most of my life. Severe chronic depression since I was a child. I'm only now starting to peek my head above mild depression.

Its amusing though that anyone who disagrees with you even a little can't possibly have been there or know what it's like. Just another way to perpetuate your delusions. A depressed brain likes to do such things. Find every possible way to perpetuate the depression. Anyone that disagrees, is wrong. Anyone that tries to help, doesn't understand you, and doesn't care, and really, fuck them! Why? Because its easier. Its easier not to fight it. Not to struggle against the pain, anguish and torment. Easier if you just ended it all. You're already locked away much of your feelings already, why not go a step further? It's not like anyone cares anyway (another lie you tell yourself).

--

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Like I said, you're a cold hearted bastard if you can't feel compassion for someone who has done that to themselves.

As for me, I was there, but I am there no longer, I am quite happy with my life. It has had it's ups and downs, but nothing near that, but I have a wife who is there by my side. It helps to have someone that cares about you.

You seem to have replaced depression with hatred and contempt, looks to me like you absolutely destroyed any compassion you may have ever had! Unreal... absolutely unreal. I shouldn't respond to you like this, I know, but I have a difficult time not feeling absolute rage towards people like you.

---

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I feel compassion to the depressed. And some for those that have committed suicide. It depends. did you even bother to try to get help? If not, then I really don't give a shit.

Robin Williams Did try his damnedest I'm sure. He's been fighting not only the depression, but drug and alcohol problems as well. It can't have been easy for him. And whether you believe it or not, I do feel sympathy (and empathy) for him.

Remember, I've been through it. And I may never ever truly be out "of it". What matters is how you deal with it. Do you give in and tell everyone to fuck off? Or you you get help, and at least try?

NiteHackr said:

You seem to have replaced depression with hatred and contempt, looks to me like you absolutely destroyed any compassion you may have ever had! Unreal... absolutely unreal. I shouldn't respond to you like this, I know, but I have a difficult time not feeling absolute rage towards people like you.

You can assume whatever you wish. Whatever helps you cope.

Oh, I also had temper issues. Dealt with that for the most part as well. You might want to seek help.

The only thing that bothers me is people that claim they are somehow special because they are depressed, and that their suffering is somehow more important that everyone else's. It's not even really hate, its more pity than anything.

--

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

NiteHackr said:

Wow, you're one cold hearted prick aren't you?!

No, clearly that's you, I was just expressing "anger". I cloaked it pretty well in linguistic logic.. at least, I think so, anyway.

SO ANYWAY

I finally had a chance to sit down in person with someone and talk about Robin Williams tonight (not that you folk aren't intelligent and insightful, but we aren't in person, which apparently reduces intelligence by approximately 900 points according to the NiteKneeler).

I'm happier because Robin Williams was here. He has inspired me several times throughout my life, and I was so in love with his 'Weapons of Self Destruction' standup. Initially I was very angry about this (which was selfish of me to have my own feelings, as it is human nature to do so). I love Robin Williams. There are not a lot of celebrities I admire, or get much conscious inspiration from, but he was definitely one of them. That's why it makes me so damn sad... and angry >:(

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

It is my wish that we can be friendly around here without judging/attacking each others views and experiences and how we each deal with depression.

No one really ever knows for sure how someone else feels and what they have been through so please do not judge and try to be kind and respectful. What may not be a big deal for person a can mean the end of the world to person b (e.g. someone get sad when someone crushes a mosquito while most people probably do not stop to think about it.).

There is no absolute truth and no absolute right and wrong and even that is just my own Zen-Buddhism inspired point of view.

I am dealing with F32.2 myself (and F34.1 was diagnosed a few years ago and so far treatment failed, same for F40.1 due to me not being motivated enough or too depressed to do exercises). Had been in therapy for several months last year, felt a bit better, tried to get up again but nope... not there yet, I literally spent the past few months doing absolutely nothing except eating and sleeping and a minimum of physical exercises and long walks to keep the body functional in hope that the mind would eventually recover. I am currently not suicidal. I feel it is important to be open about depression and to seek help, especially when it feels like it is all utterly hopeless and when thinking that it won't ever get better again. The biggest obstacle is that therapy is hard work and not a simple matter of popping some magic pills or a can of spinach and then moving on whistling a happy tune.

Anyway, I have made an appointment yesterday and will pick up therapy again in a few weeks.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

That's good Dennis :) keep at it. It's a long hard road. just let people know if you're having too hard a time, there are usually people available to help (I don't know the specifics of your countries mental health system), if you don't have anyone in your close circle that can or will help you get through your troubles.

IMO there is absolutely nothing wrong with "taking a break". Just try not to slip too far back into the desolate hell hole that is the bottom.

You are right about the hard work and pills. Though don't be afraid of pills. They can help. Sure, they aren't a cure, but they aren't meant to be. I've found they make it easier to make an effort to get better.

That said, "getting better" is not a straight linear ramp up. that is a mistake some people make. they think that since they have gotten a little better that ANY set back is super bad and that treatment has failed. This is incorrect. Thinking like that leads to the very outcome you are afraid of. Ups and downs are a natural part of healing. Two steps forward, one step back. Sometimes even one step forward, three steps back. What matters is that you are making the effort, and that some gradual improvement is being made over time.

--

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I went through a really rough patch when I got tinitus in March after a concert. I'm slowly learning to deal with it without symptoms of major depression and thoughts of ... darkness. I never felt anything like that in my life and now I can really relate. "Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved." That's how it feels.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Thank you Tomasu.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Dennis said:

The biggest obstacle is that therapy is hard work and not a simple matter of popping some magic pills or a can of spinach and then moving on whistling a happy tune.

Indeed. Although such magic pills (=people) do exist (it's how I got cured), you can't unfortunately rely on it and just have to try and slowly improve the hard way.

On another note, I just read that Robin Williams named his daughter Zelda because he liked the Zelda games - so now I have no doubts that he was a great person :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Thomas, I'll apologize now if I misjudged you. I have heard some negative things about this lately and it annoys me the lack of compassion some folks have.

I was discussing this with my wife, he had problems with alcohol and drugs as well, which lead me to believe he probably had problems with them in the first place due to other issues, perhaps depression. If he used them to cope with it in the past, and suddenly he is trying to get off the drugs and booze, than that probably left him without his traditional way of coping with these issues, which would have made things worse for him, perhaps not really knowing any other way out, and it can't be easy as a celebrity, who do you turn to that won't run to the press with it and honestly try and help you?

Definitely an age old problem that isn't going away anytime soon. I'm just glad those problems are in my distant past.

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I think the worst part about Robin Williams being dead (for me, granted) is that every news site has to write their own op-ed and spam Google News with it. So every time I check the news I get to be reminded one of my childhood idols is dead. :-[ It's all news companies can talk about. Suicide. Drugs. Robin Williams best movies. His worst movies. Let's analyse everything he ever said or did now. All for the glorious ad revenue.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

NiteHackr said:

If he used them to cope with it in the past, and suddenly he is trying to get off the drugs and booze, than that probably left him without his traditional way of coping with these issues

I believe he had been sober for years and years. But being an addict doesn't just go away. It's a long hard fight just like depression is. I think the two go hand in hand. Most people wouldn't dream of becoming an addict. Most of the time it's people self medicating.

Quote:

I have heard some negative things about this lately and it annoys me the lack of compassion some folks have.

Me too. There are still people here (one of the best places in canada for mental health care) that think mental health isn't "a thing". That depression, anxiety, and all sorts of mental illness are "in your head". That tends to rile me up a bit.

I really wish I could know what was going through Mr Williams' head that day. Hes been through it all, and had to have known what was coming. I can only assume that something new came to light, or some existing issue was made worse that made him fall back into a deep enough depression to even consider suicide. But the last thing his family needs is people prying into it. Unfortunately people will pry. >:(

--

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I also heard on the news today that he was also close to bankruptcy after two costly divorces. I was thinking, all these things, all piling up at once may have been the perfect storm for this.

---

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

That might help explain why he has FOUR new movies coming out in close succession, and had more planned. Between a long term struggle with depression and addiction, burn out on work, and family issues... Damn.

Just saw this on twitter:

TheAcademy said:

{"name":"10521879_10152327862341406_8555321681755205096_n.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/d\/6d24e7ad31e269c0052ee05635e9d2c4.jpg","w":677,"h":399,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/d\/6d24e7ad31e269c0052ee05635e9d2c4"}10521879_10152327862341406_8555321681755205096_n.jpg

"Genie, you're free." - Aladdin (1992).

That hit me right in the feels. Especially since I just re watched Aladdin last night. oi.

--

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I went to Taco Bell a moment ago and all the staff there were talking about Robin Williams and they were all calling him selfish. :-/

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

"Genie, you're free." - Aladdin (1992)

:'(

{"name":"223.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/a\/bab2912d2ffc3cdabe52002eea479b4c.gif","w":500,"h":281,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/a\/bab2912d2ffc3cdabe52002eea479b4c"}223.gif

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I went to Taco Bell a moment ago and all the staff there were talking about Robin Williams and they were all calling him selfish. :-/

These days it's almost better to hire someone to kill you so that people are more understanding :-/

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I like the idea of Robin William's wife reaching heaven one day and choosing to fight through hell to save his soul and bring him to heaven. (Role reversed story of What Dreams May Come?)

And I mean that in the most respectful and hopeful of ways. It's just such a beautiful, and uplifting story of humanity overcoming death.

I don't know. It just comforts me to pretend a little. He shouldn't have died. People say "suicide is selfish" but I say: our culture that's so distant and calloused that it can let good people get to the point of suicide is selfish.

How many people die every year that would still be here if someone had bothered to pick up the phone and tell him or her how much they meant to them?

I've struggled with severe depression for the last three years of my recovery from back surgery. Crippling debt. Nobody understands. Doctors think you're an addict. Neighbors steal your medicine. Police think you're making the story up to get more pills. People think you're "lazy" for being unable to get out of bed or work a job. I've wished death upon myself dozens of times. But I'm not going to do it. If I did, in my mind, then all of the "bad" wins. And I'm not going to let it win. But that being said, I can still, very much, feel empathy for Robin Williams situation and anyone who really thinks suicide is the only way out. I know that feeling. I know it all too well.

-----sig:

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Pain killer addiction is a tough one to break out of. I've lost a few friends, in the social sense, to pills. My mom has been on prescription painkillers for more than 10 years now. They're such a terrible healthcare product. :(

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

1   2   3 

Go to: