Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Devc++ and allegro installation

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Devc++ and allegro installation
master1398
Member #15,667
June 2014

Hello. I have devcpp, and currently no access to mingw nor visual express of any form. I need a version of allegro that will be compatible with devcpp as well as a tutorial on how to include the allegro files I need in my code. If anyone could help that would be insanely helpful. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Are you sure you have Dev-C++ but you don't have mingw? Isn't mingw usually included? Or do you have cygwin? Sure you must have something. No version of Allegro works without a compiler. Dev-C++ is just the interface between you and the compiler. Kind of.

Since you're asking for some Allegro version, I take it you do have some net access. So fetch MinGW, then Allegro5. Or skip Dev-C++ and download Code::Blocks instead.

Follow this thread: https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/614383/1002193#target

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

master1398
Member #15,667
June 2014

Currently I don't have internet access. I have been attempting to move thing via flash drive from a library computer to my home computer so coming home and realizing I still didn't get the right things is very frustrating. And yes I just found out that devcpp includes mingw. Does that mean I would get the mingw version of allegro?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

master1398
Member #15,667
June 2014

How would I figure that out? And then how would I include it in my code after I get the right allegro?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to a command line and navigate to MinGW's bin directory. Type 'gcc --version' without quotes to see which version of MinGW is installed. Then download the version of allegro 5 that matches your compiler version.

Allegro 5 binaries are here :
http://targonski.nazwa.pl/thedmd/allegro/

The latest version of MinGW (4.8) doesn't have binaries yet so you would have to compile it yourself if that is the case.

How do you use allegro 5 in your code?
#include <allegro5/allegro.h> (or whatever other header you need)

Then with Dev-CPP you need to figure out how to link libraries and link allegro to your project when you compile it.

master1398
Member #15,667
June 2014

Would the include statement alone connect the libraries to the compiled program automatically or is there an extra step involved?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Learn to use your compiler and what header files, object files and libraries are before you start trying to do graphical stuff on top of all of that. Otherwise, it's like trying to teach a baby that hasn't learned to walk to try to dance.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

What version of Dev-C++ do you have, the older Bloodshed version, or one of the newer forks? If it's the Bloodshed version you may as well just uninstall it and start afresh as development of it was abandoned a long time ago, so the many bugs it has will never be fixed, nor will newer features that other IDEs have ever be added. The version of MinGW that ships with it is also very outdated now (you won't be able to find A5 binaries for it).

The newer versions of Dev-C++ are apparently better and are at least still being developed, but as has already been said, you'd be better off switching to Code::Blocks (or MSVC).

master1398
Member #15,667
June 2014

Ok thank you. I guess I am stuck giving that a try. I already have code blocks I just need the other two things.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Ok, then you can follow my link in my first post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

master1398
Member #15,667
June 2014

Ok thank you

Go to: