Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Best way of manipulating pixels

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Best way of manipulating pixels
Jose Rubio
Member #1,159
April 2001

Hi everybody,

I have a project right know where I may have the need to manipulate pixels in a BITMAP and I wonder which is the most efficient way of doing so. I know there are getpixel and putpixel funcions, but I wonder if accessing directly to the BITMAP struct would be a better approach, and also if there are any hints on how doing so as best as possible.

Also, making distinction between A4 and A5 would be great, since I will soon be switching to A5 and would be great to be able to port everything to it.

I suppose that the type of BITMAP (memory, video) will also have an impact...

Any advice on this will be great.

Thanks!

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

As described in this thread amongst others: https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/614217/0, the fastest way to directly access pixels in Allegro5 is to use al_lock_bitmap(). However, nowadays almost all common platforms have a GPU, pixel per pixel access is not the best way to do graphics. In stead, use al_draw_bitmap() or the primitives extension, this will be translated under the hood into much faster OpenGL or Direct3D calls.

Jose Rubio
Member #1,159
April 2001

I'm aware that nowadays this is kind of retro and not very recommendable, but among other things, I want to impart some lessons about game programming starting by pixel pushing in a framebuffer, as in old DOS days.

Simulating it by writing pixels to a texture would do... it's just that I need to find a nice and clean way to do it, I don't want to choose the worst way.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I've often used glDrawPixels to draw a memory buffer to the screen, it works fairly fast in my experience.

[EDIT]

I last mentioned it here.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Jose Rubio
Member #1,159
April 2001

I'll have to test glDrawPixels(). This may be exactly what I am looking for, since you still have to wortk your way around a framebuffer, and then GL will take care of it and render it on screen.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

The way I like most is to simply use a memory buffer. Something like

char screen[320 * 240 * 3];

void putpixel(void) {
    cursor.screen[cursor.y * 320 * 3 + cursor.x * 3 + 0] = cursor.red;
    cursor.screen[cursor.y * 320 * 3 + cursor.x * 3 + 1] = cursor.green;
    cursor.screen[cursor.y * 320 * 3 + cursor.x * 3 + 2] = cursor.blue;
}

The only time I need Allegro is my call to al_lock/unlock_bitmap which copies it to a bitmap, once per frame - so it's plenty fast.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Jose Rubio
Member #1,159
April 2001

If I am not mistaken, this is the approach taken by some modern ports of Doom, though they almost all use SDL.

By the way, how do you perform a copy to the BITMAP?

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

lock = al_lock_bitmap(bitmap, ALLEGRO_PIXEL_FORMAT_BGR_888, ALLEGRO_LOCK_WRITEONLY);
for (int y = 0; y < 240; y++) {
    char *p = lock->data;
    p += y * lock->pitch;
    memcpy(p, screen + y * 320 * 3, 320 * 3);
}
al_unlock_bitmap(bitmap);

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Go to: