Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Been A While ... Wait, Wrong Song ... Vocal Practice

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Been A While ... Wait, Wrong Song ... Vocal Practice
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It really has been a while since I've practiced singing, and despite this probably not being a very good night to stay awake late (for j0rb reasons), here I am. Usual disclaimer: taking a razor blade to your ears first will probably improve your listening experience. >:(

media player

media player

media player

(Annoying popping in the chorus, which actually begins to temporarily fuck up the mic towards the end... Evidently my technique there is way wrong)

media player

(More annoying popping... I probably need to back the fuck up away from the mic, but I'm so quiet that I'm trying to be as close to capture as much as possible, and it doesn't help that it's late in my apartment building so I'm already probably being too loud...)

media player

And now it has become clear that I've already gone too far and I am way too tired to move my vocal chords or whatever you sing with fast enough to make it not bland. Meh. I had fun tonight.

Append:

ML, I assume I am exceeding a size limit on the uploads or something because they just disappear after 3 (there are 5). I don't see any errors or failures though. The attachments just appear broken. I haven't looked into it, but I'm guessing they are "empty" stubs. If somebody posts I'll post again and update the OP with the additional links (unless ML tells me to GTFO with my heavy off-topic files).

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

bump. I'll have to listen to these after I get home 8-)

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

This shit sounded so much better when I was drunk. :-/ Anyway, here are the remaining two recordings.

https://www.allegro.cc/files/attachments/608608

(More annoying popping... I probably need to back the fuck up away from the mic, but I'm so quiet that I'm trying to be as close to capture as much as possible, and it doesn't help that it's late in my apartment building so I'm already probably being too loud...)

https://www.allegro.cc/files/attachments/608607

And now it has become clear that I've already gone too far and I am way too tired to move my vocal chords or whatever you sing with fast enough to make it not bland. Meh. I had fun tonight.

I don't know why the video player doesn't load. Maybe the same sort of thing: too much for one thread. Whatever, they can be downloaded manually... >:(

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Man, what have you done... :o

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Say sorry bamccaig!!! >:( Say it!

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Stop being scared of the microphone, let the sound bellow from deep in the lung, fill the throat and fill the entire room with rich deeps and sparkly highs! You obviously have talent and passion, but you sound scared of the mic, or of something. Really let go, if the foundation of your voice is deep and solid like rock, then voice will be rich like oil man from states.....wow....went all Native then! Anyhoo, despite the feedback to come, you're doing it, and that shows enough potential in my diary. 8-)

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Dizzy Egg said:

Stop being scared of the microphone, let the sound bellow from deep in the lung, fill the throat and fill the entire room with rich deeps and sparkly highs! You obviously have talent and passion, but you sound scared of the mic, or of something.

Today I starting singing from a few feet away from the mic and even across the room while watching the levels in Audacity. It seems that being further away from the mic helps me to push a little harder and get more volume from it. Unfortunately, a lot of the times that I get around to singing are late in my apartment building when I can't be making that kind of racket... It's currently 9 PM and I can't do this for much longer.

Append:

I'm also playing the music on my stereo instead of through headphones so that might help me to be louder too. I'm actually trying to fill the room and overpower the stereo instead of just carrying 4 inches into a microphone.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I've always wanted to be able to scream like a rockstar and not be hoarse the next morning. If anyone figures that out, please let me know the secret.

As for clipping, you could probably turn the mic level down. The overall sound quality would improve, too, as motherboard preamps tend to be the worst preamps that money can buy. Setting them to the lowest possible level, though, can result in a decent sound--and you can really hug the mic, too.

bamccaig said:

... I'm so quiet that I'm trying to be as close to capture as much as possible, and it doesn't help that it's late in my apartment building so I'm already probably being too loud...

I hate, hate, hate being concerned with my surroundings when I make noise. It took years, but I finally got a point where I no longer care. I concur with Dizzy: You would sound so much better, if you didn't have to hold back.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I've always wanted to be able to scream like a rockstar and not be hoarse the next morning. If anyone figures that out, please let me know the secret.

QFT. I don't even need to be screaming. If I sing all night I'll eventually lose my voice and continue to be hoarse for hours.

The lead singer of Seether, Shawn Morgan, has said that he believes that smoking cigarettes helps. Well he imagines that the abrasive environment of cigarette smoke forces the throat to become defensive and he posits that this makes it more resilient... This is based on the fact that after quitting smoking he started to have that problem where his throat would really kill after a show. Of course, that is a correlation and causality dilemma.

In any case, it's food for thought. In my experience, smoking has the opposite effect on me. If I smoke then my throat will generally hurt by the end of the night. I'm not actually sure if I've ever smoked and sang in the same night. Of course, it would probably require your body to be used to smoking so you'd have to be a regular smoker to even test the theory...

Go to: