Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » IE Sucks.... (more than usual)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
IE Sucks.... (more than usual)
jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Had not seen it on a.cc, thought I would post it:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/2963983.aspx

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yay, a use after free bug. Fun times.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

{"name":"608538","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/b\/9b41dec4c06b2a128d301c13c4605188.gif","w":500,"h":181,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/b\/9b41dec4c06b2a128d301c13c4605188"}608538

This is like the fourth time that I can recall similar bugs occurring. Handle your shit, Microsoft. >:(

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Internet Explorer is free for a reason. Why do people use it when there are many alternatives out there? Are they too lazy to download something else?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Even the U.S. government issued a statement regarding this. Hahaha.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

No need to exaggerate. IE is just sucking the normal amount... :-/

Append: Point and laugh at all of the fools that use it. :D And the companies that define it is their official (or only supported) browser platform. Where is your god now?!

I guess Microsoft isn't planning to push updates to XP. This should be fun. >:(

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

How interesting that shortly after XP is no longer supported, MS announces a horrible bug that it is fixing (not fixed yet?), but probably not going to fix on XP... Do you really need 8.1 sales that bad?

And to think I still have clients that refer to .NET and Windows Server as "more secure".

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

I use to ¿unsupport? IE on purpose. If there is something I can do to make my website works badly on IE I'll do it. Even on commercial projects. All my clients hate me, but they still coming back. 8-)

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

All my clients hate me, but they still coming back.

If the websites are for their customers, then your clients are idiots, as you're essentially giving them a broken product.

While I never use IE myself, I always ensure that any site designed for a restaurant I manage works correctly using IE, as that's what most people viewing the site will be using, and if the site looks bad, it reflects on us.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

A restaurant site?... :-/ WTF. Man... Chefs, restaurants, food... What's your problem? There is a lot of time since I don't do that kind of webpages. I use to make intranets, customized POS and things like that.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I use to make intranets, customized POS and things like that.

Then note that I'd said if it was for their customers. If it's for internal use, wanting IE support is pretty silly.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Even my mother was talking about this. "Did you hear? Make sure you don't use Internet Explorer! It's unsecure!"

"Yeah, it's always been that way, mom."

"They're just talking about it on the news!"

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Traditionally, we told our clients that we support "all the latest browsers" and by that we mean IE 11, Chrome, Firefox, Safari. If it breaks in any other IE, that is extra. We said the "latest". Tends to make my customers aware that they're behind the times without pissing them off, and prevents you from having to worry about IE 8.

If it takes you 5 extra hours to fix for IE 8, at least you get paid for that time. That said... I also purposefully use bleeding edge stuff. :D There's wonderful stuff coming down the pipelines!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The bleeding edge stuff is probably the reason why I can't have 10 fucking tabs open without the browser using 3 GB of memory. >:( Fuck the bleeding edge stuff unless it is important for the Web site's function.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I want to see a chart of IE usage over the last month before and after the news.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

@Bams: bleeding edge doesn't really hog all that much resources, especially when only one tab is being rendered at a time. I noticed that some sites like to load craptons of comment widgets, videos with auto play (*cough* Facebook), revolving feeds (which do XHTTPRequests)... I can't read a news story without my computer getting content from the four corners of the earth!

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Well, the boys in Redmond did the right thing this time: WinXP Patched "Out of Band."

I want to see a chart of IE usage over the last month before and after the news.

Me, too. I doubt it changed much, though.

I've been hopping between Iceweasel and uzbl for my browsers... Uzbl is pretty awesome. I'll be making the switch soon. If you're in need of a graphical web browser that adheres to the UNIX philosophy, look no further.

Go to: