Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » :)

Credits go to Aikei_c, Elias, Izual, Kris Asick, LennyLen, Paul whoknows, Striker, and Thomas Fjellstrom for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
:)
Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I am giving up on trying to establish a "real life".

I am currently installing World Of Warcraft.

I have never played it before, I hope it is fun (still downloading...seems huge).

Anything in particular I need to watch out for as a newbie?

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Is that the game 23yearold started playing 10 years ago to then disappear forever? Then I'd say nooo, don't start playing it!

On the other hand, the graphics must be rather outdated by now, and people seem to have stopped playing the game around 2011 (according to the chart google found below). Which means it might be rather boring at this point :P

{"name":"Subs-1.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/7\/370ea63d73175434e9fd24d85a675ece.png","w":1086,"h":699,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/7\/370ea63d73175434e9fd24d85a675ece"}Subs-1.png

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I am not doing anything productive with my time anyway, so I figured I might just as well waste some of it on exploring that game people kept talking about over the years.

I will buy 30 days of game time for a start (for about 13 Euro) and then see how far I can get and if I am not having fun, I will just stop there.

That chart seems odd. There is WoW Global and WoW East and WoW West. Those last two seem to stop shortly after 2011. Maybe they just changed something about the regions back then. WoW global still has over 7 million subscribers... sounds like there will be plenty of other people still running around to play with (I wonder how I am going to cope with that, considering I am a solo player type).

Izual
Member #2,756
September 2002

World Of Warcraft died somewhere around the summer of 2010 when the pre-Cataclysm patch was released.

Stay away from that game timewaster as fas as you can.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Come play Minecraft with us :D

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

Some like WoW and they pay money for it each month. I don`t like it at all. I have played this one recently: http://www.gametop.com/download-free-games/10-talismans/
Its only a three-in-a-row but it has wonderful asian sounds.

Or this one: http://www.myplaycity.com/de/oddly_enough/

These two sites have so many good free games, i don`t know why to pay money for WoW. 8-) (but on the other hand i don`t know all of it)

Aikei_c
Member #14,871
January 2013

I wouldn't be so bold to say that wow has already died. It is still fun to play as far as I know, and very easy to get into, at least compared to many other mmo. I'd say it's worth a try, anyway, there is a lot of content and a lot players.

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

The strange thing is i don't like fantasy while i love fairy tales and myths. There is a difference. Maybe because one seems like a construction of people while the others maybe happened... somewhere in another world.

Minecraft looks like a lego world to me and that never was really my world.

People are different and everybody has his favorite games. 8-)

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

A great game, play it, you won't regret it.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

A great game, play it, you won't regret it.

I know of many people who did play it, and regret it to this day.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

If one counts all the time he spent playing maybe one day he will regret it. :o

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Actually, I regret all the time of my life I spent not playing :-/

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

Games are different. Some are like brain jogging. The above "10 Talismans" is a kind of training for special sense and brain functions. The "hidden object" and the "breakout" types too. 8-)

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

You know, you could always just load up Steam and take advantage of any Steam sales which happen and get yourself lots of different games to play. ;)

Especially with the indie push going on with Steam right now, there's been lots of interesting stuff coming out on the thing that doesn't cost ridiculous amounts to get, and you can always try the demo versions first if you're unsure about a particular game.

Or you could go retro and just buy tons of stuff from gog.com. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

We have flew markets here in Berlin with tons of software for 1-2 euro. Some time ago i bought "Crysis" there, was a hit not long ago. I think some elder games are still worth to play like Half-Life. And i enjoyed the "conflict"-series of shooters. After a few years you can play it once more, like a good book that you read again. ;)

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

So far, I really like the simplicity of the game. It plays like a polished rogue-like. My night-elf druid is level 10 already! :D

Oh and I have been solo-ing it all the time and it seems everyone else is doing the same. No one ever seems to write anything in the game, except for the occasional complaints about how there are not enough critters spawning for everyone to finish the same quests simultaneously. ;D

append 04/16/2014:
Level 33 already... also, thread seems dead so cookie time!

Go to: