Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Layer order of sprite rendering

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Layer order of sprite rendering
alexius wronka
Member #15,571
April 2014

Good Morning everyone,

I'm currently having a great time creating a 2D overhead Zelda esq game using C++ and Allegro 5.

However my game is more of a Beyond Oasis perspective then a Zelda Perspective and objects need to appear behind other objects when they have a higher y position and above when they have a lower y position. I have gotten it to work with one object on the other. I created and if/else depending on the y coordinate of the one object.

How would I go about creating this function using every moving object in the game. How can I define the two y variables within the class to create a correct draw order?

Right now I have all characters except the user character inherit all x,y coordinates from a base class. What do I need to do so that I can have two characters who inherit the same x,y to interact?

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Presumably you are going over all characters in order to draw them - why don't you sort them in ascending y order before drawing?

If you are using an STL container then you can use std::sort from #include <algorithm> to quickly sort your array of characters.

Also, the correct forum for programming questions is the Programming Questions forum, the Allegro Development forum is for the development of Allegro itself.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Yes, first filter (by visibility) and then sort your sprite data. In plain C you'd probably use qsort() to do this. My game engine does exactly that, since I'm also planing to make a top-down RPG. If you're interested check it out here:

https://github.com/beoran/eruta

Go to: