Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » latest idea

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
latest idea
William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Hi again,

With the other machine now set up, I'm looking at how to proceed.

I've still got the FX9730 to get going.

I've been wondering whether or not I can make a totally silent case by using some

sound insulating foam.

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/Acoustic_Treatment/Procoustix/Sonarflex_Acoustic_Tiles?gclid=CKL69P3Ot70CFZShtAod1jYARw#.UzasIayP8xA

I've thought about it this morning.

Presuming I can build a soundproof box with this stuff ( I've no idea if that's possible) :
The problem looks to me to be a case of how to get the hot air out of the box, while pulling in colder air because if there is space for the air to get out then
one would think there's space for the sound to get out.

I know you love problems..

Any useful ideas, observations ?

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

Carbon filters, though they would require cleaning once in a while to stop them becoming a fire hazard.

How about putting the computer somewhere else, and just a lead for the monitor (you can normally do 10m), and a wireless mouse and keyboard. Okay it doesn't stop the noise, but enables you to put the noise somewhere it woudn't matter so much. Maybe bundle a long usb 3.0 cable with the monitor cable if you require an next-to-hands storage.peripheral access?

www.justanotherturn.com

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I did try putting a computer in my kitchen cupboard. I even bought some rubber matts
because I thought they might help reduce the noise.

When I listened at night I could hear them really loud, through the matts, through the cupboard door, through the kitchen door and through my bedroom wall.

The carbon filters. Would they block the noise ?

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I'm sure the foam would help, but I would just use big fans exclusively, 120mm or more, and your noise level should be tolerable. Otherwise you might just want to go all the way and do the water cooling bit, but I am of the opinion that water cooling is overkill (as is the oil thing really, but experiments are always more fun).

3 years ago I bought a Lenovo laptop with HDMI & VGA out, and now I use it exclusively, plugged into a dual monitor system with the same keyboard and mouse I used with my old desktop. It's not silent, but it's very quiet and has been much easier to manage.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I'd experiment and find out. To be honest, though, I wouldn't get my heart set on a completely silent case. Make it adequately silent and spend the rest of your time on something more fruitful.

I used to bang on drums in a room with eggshell mattress pads all over the walls and ceiling. Your padding looks like a small version of that. The shape is what helps. It reduces echo. Mass, meanwhile, absorbs energy. Mass and shape are all you have in your toolbox when it comes to soundproofing.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I have three 200mm fans and three[1] 140mm fans in my case and it runs very quietly. My external HDD is actually louder, which is one of the reasons I hardly ever have it plugged in.

This is the case I have.

References

1. Actually there's four, as I have two mounted into one of the fan spaces in a push/pull system for my liquid CPU cooler

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

To be honest, though, I wouldn't get my heart set on a completely silent case.

I've already got one. Like you say it's a bit of a waste of time but I'm glad I did it. The PSU cost £90 and the fanless heatsink about £55.

Now that I've done one I am interested in other ways in case they are cheaper.

Quote:

Mass, meanwhile, absorbs energy.

What form is the absorbed energy changed to ? Heat ?

__________________________________________________________________________________

I was thinking about the fact that horns amplify sound vibrations... and whether
or not using one in reverse would dampen the sounds.

There must be a really clever way to do this :)

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

My case has 2x 200mm fans and 1x 120mm fan and is virtually silent. The loudest part of my system is actually the PSU fan when it revs up, seeing as how it's a model that can switch its fan off completely when PSU heat levels are low. Though in retrospect, I probably should've bought one with a more consistent fan speed than one that goes from 0% speed to 100% speed any time any heat's detected. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

Go to: