Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Facebook buys Oculus Rift --- AKA the end of gaming as we know it.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Facebook buys Oculus Rift --- AKA the end of gaming as we know it.
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

All my friends just yelled NOOOOOOOOOOOOO a thousand times over.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/facebook-buys-virtual-reality-oculus-2b-23057463

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

I wonder if they did it because SONY announced their competitor and they figured they needed an industry giant to back them to beat them to the punch.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

If I had pre-ordered the thing and found out about this, I would be cancelling said pre-order. >:(

I have no faith in Facebook as a company and do not want to support them or anything they do at any step of the way. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Call me old style but I think VR headsets will be a fad, just like 3D TV's were. I think a normal screen is still the most comfortable way for using a computer or TV. So, I'm not worried at all, really.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Cue the FB-hating bandwagon and the hate on the acquisition that follows.

Excited to see the direction the Rift goes with such high caliber support.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Isn't Valve also making something similar? They can take my money any day.

{"name":"608422","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/d\/fd93f1256d169ce6f0f7c87e35379a3a.png","w":299,"h":373,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/d\/fd93f1256d169ce6f0f7c87e35379a3a"}608422

In capitalist America bank robs you.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Cue the FB-hating bandwagon and the hate on the acquisition that follows.

Excited to see the direction the Rift goes with such high caliber support.

Well, the Oculus SHOULD be benefitting from a solid support...but Facebook? I simply fail to see this as something "right", at least from the gamer point of view.

beoran said:

Call me old style but I think VR headsets will be a fad, just like 3D TV's were.

I know I am oldschool, and I concur fully.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

Pop up adverts that you can't click-away or even turn-away from. Great...

www.justanotherturn.com

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Video ads that cover your vision, that auto play, and you can't stop.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Notch made a good point about Facebook not having a clear business strategy. You can't be sure what they're going to do, or what they're about, so it's not smart to trust them flat out.

For example, everyone knows Microsoft. They make office products, operating systems, focusing on productivity (minus the last bombshell of Metro). They also make a game system. They're not gonna change their mind one day and start selling canned tuna and messing with your tuna business. They're not FOSS friendly. We know that.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

This news made me go out and pre-order three of them. :o

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

This news made me go out and pre-order three of them. :o

You should have just gone to eBay. :P

-----sig:

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

I wonder if my mom would be interested in playing a virtual reality version of Farmville?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You should have just gone to eBay. :P

The only ones for sale right now are the demo units that only do 720p, and make you sick :P The newer 1080p units are much better. And they are only pre-orderable atm afaik.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

and make you sick

I believe that's only if you physically move around--as opposed to turning your head. That's why they added head position tracking in the future models. But if you sit there like a normal human being it shouldn't freak out.

Except maybe the refresh rate. I don't know if they had to up that between gens.

-----sig:

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Didn't you guys know that Onewing is responsible for all this? Let's wait for him to explain his actions....

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

The Rift is a controller/monitor. Do you people believe they're going to add networking to deliver adds?

People complaining about the acquisition are spouting a bunch of nonsense. All it does is give Oculus VR an effectively unlimited bankroll. The only thing this may effect is the games and applications Oculus VR make which use the Rift. The Rift is to remain an open controller/monitor thing.

The low-persistance of the DK2 eliminates the blur when you turn your head. This blur made many sick in the DK1. Moving around is still effectively the same, except DK2 can do it better using a camera and IR leds instead of relying solely on sensor values. Of course, that means DK2 can't track your position once you turn around.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

The Rift is a controller/monitor. Do you people believe they're going to add networking to deliver adds?

Don't straw man me. I never said anything about networking or ads.

Quote:

The low-persistance of the DK2 eliminates the blur when you turn your head. This blur made many sick in the DK1. Moving around is still effectively the same, except DK2 can do it better using a camera and IR leds instead of relying solely on sensor values. Of course, that means DK2 can't track your position once you turn around.

It doesn't have... both?

-----sig:

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I just ordered another one. :o

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

Sorry, I wasn't referring to your comments specifically. More all comments in the thread as well as general consensus. I can see how placement of my post could lead to misinterpretation.

The DK2 has low persistence on the video component, as well as IR leds with a camera to track your position. It still has the sensors (accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer) but those are near useless for positional tracking. The leds, however, are only on the front of the device, meaning if you aren't pointed toward the camera, positional tracking will not work (orientation will still be reported correctly).

Low persistence is a key feature to eliminate motion blur, which will aid in a number of motion sickness cases. Positional tracking also likely helps some, but I haven't personally collected any data on that yet, so I can't give an educated opinion. Mostly, positional tracking is just useful as an immersion factor.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

I wouldn't have lost my hope for the device if I hadn't seen Palmer Luckey's reddit post. If he is willing to whore out his personal account to PR flacks, there goes any hope of retaining integrity in the face (no pun intended) of Facebook. :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I'm just waiting for the project to get canned. I give it a few months before facebook gets bored with it and starts expecting real progress reports and some kind of income from it.

Tis what happens with these big buyouts.

--

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I wonder how things will go when Facebook starts putting on the pressure. Because that's what seems like always happens. Every big company says "We won't mess with you." and then year by year, they don't line up with the expectations of old businessmen and the screws get tightened.

Remember Winamp? Remember it was king of the hill by time AOL bought it? And then splat.

On a somewhat related note, I never realized John Carmack left id specifically because their new corporate owner, Zenimax refused to back VR technology when he asked them to. He left for CTO of Oculus Rift.

That's a pretty big deal. Leaving a software company he founded 23 years ago that held the credits of revolutionizing the computer industry.

So I really wonder what John Carmack thinks of the matter (obviously he's under an NDA right now.)

Also, this reddit comment is pure gold.

Quote:

You were the Chosen One! You were supposed to destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness...

-----sig:

1   2   3 

Go to: