Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Fork in the road

Credits go to Chris Katko, Edgar Reynaldo, Kris Asick, Matthew Leverton, pkrcel, and Slartibartfast for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Fork in the road
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Hello, allegro! Long time, no see. ;)

I've got an interesting life development that needs my immediate response. For the past two years, I've been working as a Technical Strategy Architect. Basically, I write up documentation, specifications, form the estimate, collaborate with IT departments, oversee the developers, act as Scrum Master, test implementations, research, investigate, report to the wider team and stay in the hotseat for seeing a product launch.

It's been a pretty awesome role. I don't code, so I've gotten really rusty in that area, but I know enough about code to work with the people who do to make everything come together efficiently.

The big problem for the past few years is my work has 0 to do with games. That's a hard pill to swallow. My six months at a game studio still trumps my 4 years at this agency. So I've been seeking an industry jump to get back to my passion. I see my role being close to something like a Producer, so I've been seeking the "Associate Producer" role to get my feet wet.

Yesterday, I was informed the Technical Strategy Architect role is going away and that I need to choose between Senior Developer (they'll give me time to get back up to speed) or Technical Project Manager. They want me to decide today. :D

I've been weighing options and struggling to figure out what has the better long term gain. I've flip-flopped at least 5 times in the past 24 hours.

Thoughts?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Technical Project Manager sounds more like what you're doing now, but then I'm assuming there is little coding involved. Senior Developer would be almost all coding and oversight I would think, but I don't know. What do you want to do? Manage? Or Code?

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

During the 6 months I worked at the game studio, "producer" was the most enticing role. That's more akin to "manage". I don't really want to code what someone else tells me, I want to contribute to the idea of what it is that is going to be built (kind of like the designer track).

But "managing vs coding" is trumped by "work on games vs work on eCommerce products". If "coding" is my "in" for "working on games", then "coding" it is. Then hopefully I can restructure my career path once I'm back to my passion.

------------

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Coding sucks. Go the other way.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

I think you should start by defining your goals and then trying to assess which role better promotes those goals.
I'm not quite sure I understand the available options, is Senior Developer actually "coding games" and Technical Project Manager actually "managing eCommerce projects"?
And what is the goal? Becoming a "game producer"?
If I got all that right then it sounds to me like

Onewing said:

If "coding" is my "in" for "working on games", then "coding" it is.

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

If there's still time to make the choice, a quick little thing I can mention from my own personal experience which may influence your decision: When I was coding for someone else, I rarely had the desire to code for myself.

*shrugs* Dunno how much that helps you, but it's just something I thought I'd mention.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Coding sucks. Go the other way.

Word of God is legit.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Onewing said:

The big problem for the past few years is my work has 0 to do with games. That's a hard pill to swallow. My six months at a game studio still trumps my 4 years at this agency.

Game programmers are overworked and underpaid. Keep games a hobby and they'll never be tarnished by politics.

Go somewhere you enjoy and can grow. But for many people that doesn't have to be programming games. It could be programming software, drivers, anything. Or it could be games, but marketing or something else. I can't really tell you what to do. But I can tell you to examine closely whether the things you like are as important as you think they are, or if you can be happy with a different subset and you're just missing the "game programming" solely because you're just not doing it right now--that is, if you got it back you'd remember all the things you hated.

I've got a degree in Mechanical Engineering but I love programming. But Mechanical Engineers get a good $20,000 average pay increase over programmers and get treated better by most companies as an asset instead of a code monkey to be thrown away during a "restructuring."

I'm in IT right now, but primarily because they have flex hours and that works great for me while I'm healing from back surgery. But I only make $30 KUSD / year starting out. That's barely enough to make the bills. I can get ~$80 KUSD / year starting for a Mechanical Engineering job. And honestly? I'd rather have the money and peace at mind that comes with the bills being paid.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I bought myself a little more time (the weekend). Thanks for the feedback all!

@Matthew: It definitely can. The thing I like about coding is it's a puzzle that can be solved (most of the time). Resolution brings a lot of gratification. With management, people are the problem and as the great Dr. House once said, "people don't change."

@Slartibartfast: Absolutely. My pipe dream has always been to start my own game dev shop in my mid-40's (got a good 10-15 years to prep for that). The immediate goal has been "get back into the games industry", regardless of what title I hold (QA, programmer, scripter, designer, producer, etc.). So I'm torn between what's good for solving the immediate goal and the endgame goal.

@Kris: Yes, after work and then entertaining my son and then spending time with the wife, I can choose to work on programming or sleep. I've found ways to keep going, but the time is very limited.

@Chris Kato: I do fear that life of bad work-life balance. But still, the 6 months in the game studio was more fulfilling than the 4 years at this agency. When I pass, I want my legacy to be about the games I've made, not the apps I made for large retailers. Who knows, I might return to the game industry and hate it, but I need to see for myself.

I am definitely not planning on burning any bridges. The company I work for now has good people, job security and they've invested a lot in me.

------------

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Onewing said:

@Chris Kato: I do fear that life of bad work-life balance. But still, the 6 months in the game studio was more fulfilling than the 4 years at this agency. When I pass, I want my legacy to be about the games I've made, not the apps I made for large retailers. Who knows, I might return to the game industry and hate it, but I need to see for myself.

That reminds me, let me clarify. Examine what motivates you, and what is truly important to you. Because while a "game job" may pay less and work you harder, if it leads to a fulfilling life, it's still worth it. But that's on a per-person basis and not something easily debatable. The means to an answer can be discussed, but the answer is personal.

For example, I feel a need to start a business. It pines at me. I've got ideas for how to run and organize a business that I think will put me far above the competition, and I'll never know the answer to "what if?" unless I follow them. But right now it's more important that I have a steady income, heal physically and mentally, pay my bills off, and learn new potentially useful skill sets and I've made peace with that.

So if you truly feel like there is this burning desire inside you to make videogames, then by all means, make videogames! Just don't hurt yourself by over-dedicating yourself to videogames and feel like later in life you missed out on other important things.

Also, if we assume you must make video games: you can make video games a variety of ways. Full time at a big company. Full time at a small company. Part-time. Full/part-time in a "indie/self-starter" and so on. So you gotta look at the whole picture of what's important in your life to make sure you satisfy the most important aspects and let the small "wouldn't it be cool if?" distractions fall away if needed.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Thanks for the input, everybody!

I ultimately went with technical project manager. The deciding factor to me is I can manage at work, code at home, but not vice versa.

Last year, I started three game projects. They didn't amount to much, but I learned from each and got a little further on each subsequent try (last one coming out of the prototype stage). I've been designing a new idea for the past two months and will soon be developing a coding schedule to try and get this one to take off.

Game industry might not open its doors to me for a while, so finding a way to work on my passion makes life more fulfilling, even if at times it feels like work on top of work.

------------

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The secret is to try and not have it feel like work ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Go to: