1   2 
Here I live
Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Stalkers..meet Casper.

Casper ! Eat stalkers

;D

{"name":"608026","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/6\/76f7ca4458f2e820a355f6fdf2c21769.jpg","w":800,"h":532,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/6\/76f7ca4458f2e820a355f6fdf2c21769"}608026

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Bob Keane said:

Wow, no one here is worried about stalkers?

Not only are we not hot chicks or rich guys, stalkers aren't geeky enough to read allegro.cc.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Is that an aureola above Casper or is he just trying to look innocent?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

;D;D;D

He CAN look innocent, especially when he took something he wasn't supposed to ;D

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Now I understand WHAT casper actually learnt form Wolf... ;D ;D ;D

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Meet Wolf...

{"name":"608027","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/2\/e27329219d77cc170933ddf2c7b056a2.jpg","w":800,"h":533,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/2\/e27329219d77cc170933ddf2c7b056a2"}608027

If your intentions are good It's the friendliest cat I know

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Not only are we not hot chicks or rich guys, stalkers aren't geeky enough to read allegro.cc.

I thought about it. And then I realized we have five large dogs that try to kill the UPS man every time he merely comes to the doorstep to drop off a package. Imagine some poor tool trying to break in?

{"name":"CA9hM.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/d\/8dd752695e48d07b421dc2bfdfe7a708.jpg","w":1378,"h":2450,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/d\/8dd752695e48d07b421dc2bfdfe7a708"}CA9hM.jpg

"Show me your papers." [in German accent]

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

A stalker will fixate on anyone. It doesn't matter your sex, income or attractiveness.

And then I realized we have five large dogs that try to kill the UPS man

I found a reason to hate Chris Katko.

{"name":"608028","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/9\/89dc5a769098a656e9f3ea8c6891e762.jpg","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/9\/89dc5a769098a656e9f3ea8c6891e762"}608028

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Is that you? That's hilarious. Two of the dogs are under my control, the other three our my parents--as my wife and I had to move back in while I heal from back surgery. My dogs are quite pleasant, and more excited to see newcomers than angry. In fact, yesterday, I went to the vet yesterday and took my German Shepherd-Husky mix in and the vet was quite literally stunned with how friendly she is. The vet said, "Almost always, Huskies and German Shepherds are friendly toward their owners but very skeptical of new people. You have done a very good job of training and socializing her, and I don't mean that lightly." Which was pretty dang cool to hear from a professional.

{"name":"E8WeW5z.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/e\/bec311f3114e70edafdc8e833759a682.jpg","w":3686,"h":2765,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/e\/bec311f3114e70edafdc8e833759a682"}E8WeW5z.jpg
Here's picture when we first got her.

More recent.
{"name":"avN2OCI.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/5\/c5a7add3578560f5b1a8d95bdfe17612.jpg","w":1200,"h":1600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/5\/c5a7add3578560f5b1a8d95bdfe17612"}avN2OCI.jpg

{"name":"duU6gll.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/c\/8ca01eec1d55fe01e78c5f65a9613942.jpg","w":3421,"h":1925,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/c\/8ca01eec1d55fe01e78c5f65a9613942"}duU6gll.jpg
Some more dog training.

Quote:

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.

Inspired by EULA, were you?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, Im not sure you should train your dogs to attack people just walking normally.

Aggressively sure. but the mail man? herp.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Inspired by EULA, were you?

It's effective.

Cute puppy in the first shot.

"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Most dogs have problems with mailmen because they approach your property, don't acknowledge you or your dogs, and then leave. It's very suspicious for an animal that doesn't understand. A good way to change this is to either for the UPS/mailman to bring cheap dog treats with him and to meet the owners of the house (so they see you as an accepted "friend"), or perhaps to buy lots of cheap dog treats from Amazon over time so that the dogs associate the UPS man as a kind of "treat bringer" / doggy Santa Claus.

So it's not an issue of training them to be aggressive. It's animals not understanding property law. It's the same kind of misunderstanding that dogs think you're "leaving them forever" every time you leave the house, and greet you like you were gone for years when you come back. They don't understand where you're going and why you'd leave the pack.

Most dog are very friendly to strangers if they haven't been trained badly, and you can set up the right "environment" to help them understand. For example, bad owners don't realize that they project their anger, or fear of strangers onto their dogs. Dogs very much pick up their owners feelings and if you have anger issues at home (yelling at the TV), the dog doesn't understand who you're angry at and doesn't know to calm down when you do. If you are afraid of strangers (common with women) and you tense up the leash when strangers walk by, or move away from them as you walk down the sidewalk, dogs notice that too and become aggressive toward things that make you afraid--even if subconsciously. Dogs reveal much more about their owners than they do about themselves. Very angry dogs can become submissive with a professional trainer in a matter of days--you really have to see it to believe how night-and-day it can be in such a short time.

Dogs are a beautiful example of what intentional breeding can accomplish over thousands of years. There's a reason we use "helper dogs" and not "helper monkeys" (in general) even though monkeys might be considered "smarter." Dogs are more trainable, and with real training comes a much better harnessing of intelligence than with a smarter, less obedient animal.

Bob Keane said:

Cute puppy in the first shot.

Thanks!

[Death by a thousand edits.]

-----sig:

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

It's the same kind of misunderstanding that dogs think you're "leaving them forever" every time you leave the house, and greet you like you were gone for years when you come back. They don't understand where you're going and why you'd leave the pack.

Forget dogs. My kids do that too.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

My daughters do that too. But on the opposite of the spectrum >:(

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Most dogs have problems with mailmen because they approach your property, don't acknowledge you or your dogs, and then leave.

I've heard that the man approaches, the dog barks, the man leaves, and the dog thinks he successfully chased him off.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Evert said:

Forget dogs. My kids do that too.

You should cage train them.

-----sig:

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

My cat used to have attachment issues. He got over them.

Used to sulk if I left the house.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Most dogs have problems with mailmen because they approach your property, don't acknowledge you or your dogs, and then leave.

I agreed mostly with your post, but I'd like to make a correction. It's not the dog's fault, and it's not the mailman's fault. It's the owner's fault for not teaching the dog to tolerate it. Mailmen, delivery men, etc., can't be expected to train everybody's dogs, and can't be expected to bring treats to every household that has a dog. The dog should either be tied up or caged up outside of reach of the mailmen, or should be well enough trained to understand to leave them be. Of course, mailmen should also be trained to project the right energy when they're around dogs so that they don't provoke the wrong response. As Cesar Milan would say, "[train people, rehabilitate dogs]" (paraphrasing).

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

It's not the dog's fault, and it's not the mailman's fault. It's the owner's fault

Just to clarify, I did mention that in my writing. We're on the same page. But it's impossible for a mailman to expect everyone to actually be proper owners (read: people are stupid), so that's why I mentioned that case.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Touche. :) Append: I disagree with the mailmen using treats though. For one thing, they don't know what the owner considers acceptable for their dog, and really have no right to feed a stranger's dog. It's also not free and they shouldn't have to pay that (if anything, the dog owner should, or at least the employer). Best of all I think would be to train them to project the right energy, and if the dog isn't cooperating then just don't deliver the package! Maybe if people don't get their packages they'll handle their dogs!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

bamccaig said:

and if the dog isn't cooperating then just don't deliver the package! Maybe if people don't get their packages they'll handle their dogs!

There are houses that the mailbox is by the door (and in some cases, it's just a slot in the door) so that's not exactly something that can be done.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

There are houses that the mailbox is by the door (and in some cases, it's just a slot in the door) so that's not exactly something that can be done.

Dog is loose or within reach of the door/mailbox/whatever? Showing aggression or imbalance? Walk away. It's not your problem.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I guess the mailman would think that it's more appropriate to give the dog a treat and deliver the mail than not deliver the mail. Add to that the inconvenience of having to deal with the undelivered mail later on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

I would just throw the package to your windows directly from the van...

1   2 

Go to: