Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » new toy

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
new toy
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

{"name":"android-product-1200.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/7\/a7e4af661c8d21edae5c874d79511cd2.jpg","w":500,"h":831,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/7\/a7e4af661c8d21edae5c874d79511cd2"}android-product-1200.jpg

Google's Nexus 7.

It's so much nicer than an Apple pad. :-X

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

It's so much nicer than an Apple pad.

I agree, especially since I'm using my Nexus 7 right now to read the forums. :P

Which version did you get? I got mine early, so it's a Wi-Fi only 16gb model. 99% of the time I find 16gb to be enough, though having a lot of games on the device can quickly chew through space. If I'm away from home or work I tether it to my phone so Wi-Fi only doesn't bother me at all.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

My "new toy" is my netbook. The netbook itself is a few months old, but I've put a 256GB SSD, 2GB RAM and WIFI card with Bluetooth (previously had only WIFI) in it. This tiny 10" machine is my main development machine now and I like it a lot.

As for tablets, the only one I keep charged anymore is my original Kindle Fire. All I use if for is reading Kindle e-books.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

What I like about my iPad is the high resolution screen, which makes it pleasant to read PDF documents/newspapers/e-mail/websites on it without having to zoom. This is also the reason I got it in the first place.

Other than that... no access to the file system, no swype and having to do everything through bloody iTunes are all pretty horrible.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The new Nexus 7 just hit the canadian play store a couple days ago. Mine just shipped!

Now I'll have two Nexus 7s.

Evert said:

What I like about my iPad is the high resolution screen, which makes it pleasant to read PDF documents/newspapers/e-mail/websites on it without having to zoom. This is also the reason I got it in the first place.

The new Nexus 7 has a 1080p screen. 323dpi. Far higher than the ipad. I can't wait to see how the old and new nexus 7s compare. I imagine the new one is much nicer to read on.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

It may have a higher DPI, but the iPad is 2048×1536.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, I realized that a while ago... But meh. :D the text should be very clear, even if a bit small sometimes.

Half of the problem with lower res screens is that the text is blocky or bloby due to the low dpi/ppi.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

LennyLen said:

Which version did you get?

The 2013 32GB WiFi model.

Evert said:

What I like about my iPad is the high resolution screen

I've had an iPad 2 for a while, and by comparison the Retina iPad definitely has a very nice screen. It's immediately noticeable; we can all thank Apple for really pushing the envelope on that one.

The Nexus 7's screen is even better than that (although only marginally noticeable unless side-by-side). It's nicer for reading because it's lighter. And the smaller screen is no worse for movies since they are all mostly 16:9ish, causing the iPad to waste space with black bars.

The only advantage I give Apple in the tablet space is that people generally write higher quality apps for iDevices. And they still make the best small factor device (iPod Touch).

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I've got a retina ipad as well. It's nice, but has it been worth the $500 I spent on it? Only because I bought it for work. The only real use its gotten outside of app testing is some game for my cat to play. Friskies branded fish game or some such. It was quite amusing watching my cat scratch up a $500 screen.

In general, it's just too big and heavy for most of the things I use a tablet for. The Ipad mini could be a good option, except its screen apparently sucks.

--

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

iPads are good for games, IF you like tablet gaming. More and more I don't... I also recently started using an old (2.3.3) Android phone instead of my iPhone 4S. The 4S is by far the superior phone, but I kind of like not having to worry about shattering or getting a $600+ phone wet.

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

I bought the old Nexus 7 a few weeks ago. 32GB was on sale at a local store for $200. It can actually run 3D graphics my old laptop can't. It was fun taking it to a beach to play Dune II on.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It can actually run 3D graphics my old laptop can't.

And it seems like such a short while ago that everybody was amazed that somebody was posting from their phone.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

causing the iPad to waste space with black bars.

Can't you stretch the image to ugly distorted faces and overweight people just like normal people do, when they watch 4:3 video on a 16:9 tv set?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

stretch the image to ugly distorted faces and overweight people just like normal people do

That's because they eat too much :P

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

That's because they eat too much :P

>:( I resemble that remark >:(

--

Go to: