Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » L.A. police gone insane?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
L.A. police gone insane?
FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Normally I like to think that most cops do their jobs well, i really do.
I'm surely not someone who believes in ACAB, but this news (and video mostly) really made me angry:
http://reason.com/blog/2013/07/01/get-cuffed-for-filming-police-your-dog-g

I really hope the responsible officers get sued badly.

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Dog attacks police. Police kills dog. Next?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

There was a time when police risked their lives and were considered heroes for it. They still want the title, but it seems more and more aren't willing to take any risks at all. If it even remotely threatens them, or sometimes inconveniences them, they'll completely violate citizens' rights and even go so far as to use lethal force. The thing to remember is that the government is not made of a special breed of people. They're the same people you went to high school with.

That said, I think the owner was asking for trouble though, and the dog was clearly an aggressive breed and no longer under control. The owner should have closed the windows and made sure the dog was contained before turning himself over.

Still, it's sad to see it wounded and kicking. It looks like excessive force to me. The police were probably provoking the reaction from the dog there too with aggressive body language. I don't think it was the dog's intention to hurt anyone.

Still I'd say this ranks pretty low in terms of police brutality on YouTube. Do some searches and you can find worse. :-/

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Have they ever been sane?

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

To be clear, I fully support filming police in public. I think that should be our right and highly disagree with any state laws that prohibit it. The dog owner wasn't just filming though. He seemed to be too close to the scene since he was pacing right behind the police cars, and he was also yelling at them. I can certainly see how that could be considered "obstruction".

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

He could sue, but won't win. Like Matthew said, they will say the dog attacked a police officer and the officer was within his rights to put the dog down. The police are covered, any aggressive dogs, not matter the provocation, is fair game for them to put down during an arrest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I still have trouble taking Soledad O'Brien serious because of growing up watching the science show she was part of. Can't recall the name off hand, but it is the same as having trouble taking Bill Nye the Science Guy serious as you forget he is a legit scientist because of his show.

bamccaig said:

I don't know who gave the hand signal to shoot, but goddamn.

There is no hand signal. If you come at a cop with a weapon and ignore repeated commands to drop it and continue they consider you hostile and shoot. He headed towards a cop so they dropped him per their training. The number of shots was excessive though as most people will normally think "Shit a cop shot me! I give up!". Didn't require 30-46 shots.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

it is the same as having trouble taking Bill Nye the Science Guy serious as you forget he is a legit scientist because of his show.

Are you kidding? Bill Nye is freaking awesome!

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Are you kidding? Bill Nye is freaking awesome!

Never said he wasn't ???. Just was pointing out when you see him on the news it is hard to take him serious because you don't realize he is a real scientist because most think he is just some actor playing a scientist.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Heh, I think people that do that are a weee bit ignorant.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Ahh alas, sweet ignorance, ale of bliss, bathwater of pure uninvolvedeness. Hi all.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I can see why Matthew and Arthur are #1 and #2 in command. Supreme losers indeed. 8-)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

If you come at a cop with a weapon and ignore repeated commands to drop it and continue they consider you hostile and shoot. He headed towards a cop so they dropped him per their training. The number of shots was excessive though as most people will normally think "Shit a cop shot me! I give up!". Didn't require 30-46 shots.

It's hard to say from the video. The truck that passes in front seems to block our view of what happens. You may be right. It does look like he might move towards a cop... Perhaps a bad example. :-/

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I can see why Matthew and Arthur are #1 and #2 in command. Supreme losers indeed.

You are way down on the list. >:(

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

The second video is a little different to me, but probably they did the wrong thing. The reason is, they didn't need to be standing right beside him in danger of getting stabbed. They could have stepped back and handled the situation differently. But it's a tough call still. Unlike the first video where they didn't even have a reason to handcuff the guy.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Oh, I know cops will abuse their power and beat innocent people. Or they won't even do their job, like in the case of Rebecca Zahau ( http://community.drphil.com/boards/?EntryID=27138 ) police ruled it a suicide, but too many factors show it was murder. Dr Phil had two shows (yes I know he isn't the best factual person) that showed he hired people to recreate it and showed it wasn't possible for Rebecca to kill herself in the way the San Diego police claimed.

Was that third video a animal control officer? Do they even have any power? ??? ;D

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Was that third video a animal control officer? Do they even have any power? ??? ;D

You'll notice how he retreated with his tail between his legs. Presumably once he realized that he wasn't intimidating the person the only thing that he could do was run away.

I saw a video of a traffic stop where the citizen explained on camera that undercover police in that state are required to follow certain laws, and that the car that pulled him over wasn't. Once the officer surrendered to him, he said that he was going to take photographs of the undercover car. The cop said, ["I'm not just going to wait around for you to take pictures]," and seems to be noticeably running back to his car to get out of there before the citizen has a chance to.

The very best (read: most empowering) videos are when you see lawyers or legal professionals being stopped or harassed because they know the law better than the police and quickly have them apologizing and/or running away. :) It's just a shame that we all can't be so well read.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

gnolam said:

Have they ever been sane?

Back in my day.

Because of Bam's review I finally jumped on the bandboat and watched it. Those policemen seriously look like they've never had any dog training at all.
I'm not very knowledgeable about dogs, but that dog seemed to be too close to attack. I.e. it would have lunged from a distance, if it wanted.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Anybody remember the video posted X years ago on these forums where police busted into a guys house and shot his dog because he had a bit of weed (pipe and a couple grams or something like that)? It's not an isolated incident. In that case the dog was tiny and harmless too.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

If the police were like this guy, we would get along:

video

In capitalist America bank robs you.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Smells like there's an undercover operation going on to lower the dog population in order free people from unnecessary dog harassment, baby fatalities, and neighbour disturbance in order to help the peoples lives and the economy run better.

Horray!

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Yeah, U.S. police are completely fucking mental. I mean, sure, you get harassed here too, but that is maybe, MAYBE a little whack in the stomach with the baton if you're mouthing off too much.

Speaking of law and order: there was this interesting case with gypsies here. They would get a brick and stand on the other side of one of the busiest bridges. Whoever wanted to cross had to buy the brick from them. If you didn't... Well, they used the brick to make you buy the brick.

When you bought the brick they stole it from you and sold it to the next person. Its horrible I know but damn if its not ballsy.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I like when we watch a few videos on police violence that confirm our bias against them we have conclusive proof, but when Arthur lists an equal amount of personal anecdotes about some other topic, he's just a crazy old man. 8-)

Go to: