Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Speeding up drawing from a tile atlas.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Speeding up drawing from a tile atlas.
SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Y'all really should stop replying to Raidho36.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

A5 is still a 2D library. Why do we need Allegro to be a 3D library? Isn't that what Ogre is for?

A5 works just fine.

video

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Theres no reason we should put artificial limitations in place. If its easy to allow people to make 3D stuff with allegro, we should do it.

Of course allegro will never have its own full 3D engine api, but it shouldn't get in your way when you're trying to make one.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Raidho36
Member #14,628
October 2012

Vanneto said:

Just like you could stop talking so much and actually get to coding some of the features you think are lacking. :P

That ain't my style, I'll just complain that those are missing rather than make them cease missing. ;D

A5 is still a 2D library. Why do we need Allegro to be a 3D library?

True. Yet doesn't mean you shouldn't employ 3d-originated technques, provided modern video card have little to no support for 2d acceleration (nowdays the whole thing is done via 3d). Also, Allegro's sound doesn't have 3d-originated features such as doppler effect (despite using OpenAL), which is obviously a lacking of features. ---- Though it does have "speed" modifier that's kinda makes up for doppler stuff, if you can calculate it right. Also panning have to be done manually. But, I mean, OpenAL have those built-in, why make users implement it on their own on top of Allegro's wrappers.

Quote:

Isn't that what Ogre is for?

IIRC Ogre is written in C++, which I don't stand as a library writing language. For any language but assembly it should be written in C unless it targets that particular language of choosing.

Quote:

I don't see what the complaints are all about.

The library isn't optimal enough and doesn't provides certain features it could've had provided easily, that's what. Just because it's "good enough" as is doesn't mean you shouldn't put further effort to make it better, particularry by coming up with reasons why not. Come to think of it, as opposed to vaguely (mostly zero) productive discussions, that would be even counter-productive. I perfectly realize that fixing bugs is higher priority though, just conduct some discussion. Like, never said you should go do it, it's not my fault you turned it that way.

Of course allegro will never have its own full 3D engine api, but it shouldn't get in your way when you're trying to make one

What about OpenAL part? I haven't looked at it that closely.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

OpenAL isn't related to 3D video at all.

Raidho36 said:

Just because it's "good enough" as is doesn't mean you shouldn't put further effort to make it better, particularry by coming up with reasons why not.

People do what they are interested in, in their own free time. If someone wants something specific, they should just do it, instead of winging about it not having been done for them.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Raidho36
Member #14,628
October 2012

OpenAL isn't related to 3D video at all.

Because it's related to 3d audio? Seriously though, I see zero reasons for Allegro's sound to limit users' interaction with OpenAL to very basic features. Not like it's deliberately blocked by it, but unlike OpenGL part, it makes it either Audio addon or bare OpenAL, as far as I see.

Quote:

People do what they are interested in, in their own free time

Yeah, I know, see above. I sincerely would go patch something up if it wasn't for need to install shitloads of libraries and programs and have to spend hours trying to get it to work if I happen to be unlucky with system setup just to build liballeg from sources (because, you know, things aren't done easy with Windows), and then spend days to figure right way to integrate new sources into library, so right now I'm just doing my own stuff, like mirror interreflections for 3d laser game, (for some reason perspective gets screwed up for certain models after a bunch of iterations although matrices seems to be OK).

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

There was going to be a much fancier audio api, but it never got finished.

I'm not really sure how the OpenAL api works, so I don't know if it limits you from using it if you also use Allegro.

--

Raidho36
Member #14,628
October 2012

As I said, unlike OpenGL part, it doesn't supply you with functions that let you use Allegro's internal sound-related structures with bare OpenAL.Like, OpenGL part could return you a valid OpenGL texture from Allegro bitmap, but Audio addon doesn't have any of such.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

It's not needed with audio, you can just completely bypass Allegro's audio. (With OpenGL some connection was required because OpenGL can't create the window.)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

1   2 

Go to: