Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Opinion on Windows 8 on the PC/Laptop

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Opinion on Windows 8 on the PC/Laptop
Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

I've purchased a new laptop for work purposes and it has Windows 8 Professional preinstalled on it. I'm pondering on dual-booting Linux and Windows 7 or 8 on it; Linux for the networking and file tools, and Windows for work software. I would much like to format the hard drive and get rid of the extra partitions and third-party software on the system.

Firstly, is it possible to reinstall Windows with the OEM product key that come with the prebuilt computers? This laptop has Pro (the adequate-for-my-purposes-edition). Are the installation ISOs being offered for this purpose?

Secondly, is Windows 8 any improvement over Windows 7 (usability, performance, stability, features, etc.)? 7 is still in retail. I hear of a wide divide with the opinions on Windows 8.

I've come to learn that there are some features in Windows that are missing in older versions that you really wish were available, like being unable to mount VHD files in Vista as logical, local drives.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

You can't dual boot with windows 8. It has special technology that stops it from happening.

I hate windows 8 on my pc. Well, not hate, more don't see the point in it as it adds nothing other than a stupid front end.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

You can't dual boot with windows 8

Uh? ???

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

I disabled secure boot on my friends, and installed Mint. She claims that Win8 won't boot... maybe I should look into this seriously. This is not good from a usability standpoint. :o

EDIT:

She's not overly concerned about me killing the Win8 boot... because Win8 is confusing for her. Its only a loss because she wanted to install iTunes and sync her music.

I could try giving her a warez version of 7, but its retarded that I'd have to do that when she has a perfectly legal install of 8.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Archon said:

Secondly, is Windows 8 any improvement over Windows 7 (usability, performance, stability, features, etc.)?

None whatsoever.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

^This. ;D

The only 'improvements' I saw was the tiled interface, which kinda gets in the way. Its really confusing, and you can definitely live without.

On top of that you'll probably be spending a lot of time in an IDE, which has to run in the desktop mode (which is an afterthought in 8). Imagine having to switch the way your computer works just to run your IDE and compiler... ick... :-/

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Comparing Windows 8 to Windows 7 is like comparing iOS to OSX. (Only in terms of new features, though in some cases, some old features of 7 is missing in 8 because of the changes)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Actually, windows 8 does have some performance and stability improvements.

The problem is they haven't been compelling enough (to overcome the horrible "modern" ui) to get most people to willingly switch. Pretty much every single review I've read to date says that same thing.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You can't dual boot with windows 8. It has special technology that stops it from happening.

Couldn't you switch boot drive in the BIOS? I realize it would be a pain.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

That sounds odd. I dual boot with Windows 8. GRUB menu pops up and I choose either Linux or Windows 8...

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I think the special technology is a BIOS feature, it has nothing to do with Windows 8 itself, aside from it being the reason the technology being brought to the forefront. (Actually, it disables you from installing "unsafe" OSes, which in MS' eyes, includes Linux)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

That makes more sense. This computer is a few years old.

Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

If you get Windows 8, you'll spend a lot of time getting it to behave like Windows 7, unless you're one of the seven people in the world who like the tiles. Fortunately, there are programs out there that make it relatively easy.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Hm, I don't get that. Windows 8 has a desktop that's exactly the same as Windows 7's. So it's only true if clicking "desktop" takes you a lot of time. :P

Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

The problem is that some apps live exclusively in the tiles, while others live exclusively in the desktop. I find constantly switching between the two settings to be really annoying.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I never use any of the tiled apps myself, I'm always at the desktop. Except on a rare occassion.. like when I was just trying the camera app. It doesn't really bother me because I never do it.

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

I've got my laptop set up for booting Win 7, Win 8, and Fedora. Getting it set up that way on an EFI system is a royal pain though, and I still don't have everything working (such as hibernation). I hardly ever use Windows 8; it just seems very unintuitive to me. I'm sure for a smartphone it would be fine, but for desktops I vastly prefer 7.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Windows 8 is better optimized (ie. faster) than 7, but other than tweaks and minor speed improvements there's nothing really groundbreaking in there. The system loads faster too, not that I would notice with my SSD.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

I've discovered that only from Windows 8 is the VHDX format supported. The regular VHD doesn't support anything beyond 2TB. I was thinking about backing up a system to a VHD on a remote machine (Windows Server Backup doesn't support incremental backups to remote locations, including remote locations mapped to a drive letter).

Can the keys that come with the prebuilt systems be used for reinstallations?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

And oem box should just reinstall just fine. Especially if you use the restore partition. It shouldn't ever ask for a key that way.

If you bought your own OEM copy, then it can be reinstalled, but it may or may not lock you out till you call ms to reset your install count.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

I just turn off all that UI stuff and use it like Win7.

The new task manager and copy dialog box are nice.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I absolutely do not support Windows 8. If you plan to program using open source, you should avoid it as well. Just run your Allegro game compiled using a GNU compiler to see why...

{"name":"607367","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/4\/d47f199e46ccfb5bf2d34a4a609ea013.jpg","w":1024,"h":832,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/4\/d47f199e46ccfb5bf2d34a4a609ea013"}607367

That is what I seen when I went to install my game on it. When I looked into how to get my game approved for the Microsoft store and remove this warning, some of the rules involved only using APIs approved my Microsoft and available from their store (IE: Microsoft only, no open source).

Plus a bunch of other strict requirements involving supporting that horrible interface.

If I can find a way to detect Windows 8 in my games, I will program my games so they refuse to run on it.

As for boot up times, I use Windows 7 and I don't shut my computer down, I put it into SLEEP mode, so this way when I get up, I press ENTER and it is on instantly. I have a sticky power button (need a new case) so I hate to shut it down, now that I am used to this SLEEP mode, I may never go back.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

NiteHackr said:

That is what I seen when I went to install my game on it.

Can't these security features be disabled?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

But how many people will know how to or bother? Meaning a bunch of people won't even be able to run your stuff.

--

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

A friend of mine runs them and he's satisfied. I asked him about the new UI (which pops up after a win key stroke) and he answered that it works just fine, that it's just me not being able to adapt.

Another friend of mine was annoyed by the new UI and the fact that after several failed attempts to connect to the Eduroam wifi the network manager somehow blocked itself and he had to restart the whole system.

As far as I am concerned, I don't see a reason why to install Win 8 on my new computer I'm planning to build. There will be Linux Mint and Win 7 for gaming purposes. Aparat from going back to sharp corners instead of round ones I don't see a difference. Well, except for the fact that now they want to push user interface designed for tablets to desktop PCs :-X

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

1   2   3   4 

Go to: