Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » My son's spring break sucked!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
My son's spring break sucked!
Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

This past Monday (3/11) was the start of my son's spring break. We woke up to find that his trach collar had slid around off his trach causing him to dry out (first time this had ever happened). We didn't think he had a mucus plug (later turned out we were wrong, but that is getting ahead of myself), though he was acting odd when he tried to sleep. Tuesday morning he kept trying to fall asleep due to not sleeping right the night before (he kept kind of gasping for air when he fell asleep Monday night and kept waking up). I had set up with him the whole night because of being concerned.

Tuesday he kept dozing off and still breathing odd so we took him to his primary doctor where they did a breathing treatment and it seemingly helped the problem as he started acting like himself again. About 5pm Tuesday he started acting odd again then started asking for the ventilator we no longer had (just did a sleep study a month and a half ago to get him off of it), which made us realize something wasn't right so we ran to the local ER. First they lost his papers after admitting him, then came back saying he absolutely had pneumonia in his right lung on top of having two spots of tracheomalacia in his left lung. So they sent us all the way to Riley's Children Hospital ER where we found they had put the ID bracelet of some 37 year old guy on my son (which later revealed he had no pneumonia in his lung...wrong x-rays).

They admitted him with breathing distress and sent him to the 8th floor where they coded him three times (stopped breathing and turned blue) and had to do chest compressions once. To add to the stress, I had to block out the emotions I was feeling in order for me and my father-in-law to do an emergency trach change after the second code. They got his stats back up after the third time and put him on a vent again then sent him to the intensive care unit from Wednesday morning to Friday evening. Friday evening they moved him back up to the 8th floor for overnight observation and just released us this morning. Thank God he is acting himself again and we are making sure his heated trach collar is still over his trach as we don't want to go through this again.

We had wanted his trach removed as we thought he didn't need it, but after him coding three times, we have come to realize that without it we could have been planning a funeral right now instead of counting our blessings.

On a brighter note, he did have me draw a lot yesterday and today since he was feeling better and I figured I'd share it with everyone. In spoilers as it really has nothing to do with the point of this thread, an update about what has been going on with me and my family as to why I suddenly had disappeared from the forums this week.

{"name":"607293","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/7\/9743e0768907f1970c9b1e944b2a575d.jpg","w":2549,"h":3506,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/7\/9743e0768907f1970c9b1e944b2a575d"}607293

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

That first part is eligible for fmylife. Damn, man. Good to hear it turned out well.

an emergency trach change

I'm not sure what this means. I only know an emergency trach involves "slitting" someones throat.

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

weapon_S said:

I'm not sure what this means. I only know an emergency trach involves "slitting" someones throat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracheotomy

At least, I'm assuming this is what he went through. Still, that's pretty crazy going through all that ridiculousness with the missing papers and wrong ID bracelet and everything. I'm glad your son's doing better now, Specter! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

That is indeed fucked up. :-/ While in the scheme of things kind of an aside, I think that mistakes like that should not be possible at hospitals. Clearly there's a process design problem. It also sounds like no explanation was ever given for why this all happened in the first place, which is kind of scary, though perhaps it is obviously a side effect of his condition and the malfunctioning equipment, but that isn't obvious to me... At least things turned out "OK". :) And the doodles are pretty good. :)

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

Glad to hear the potentially horrible situation turned out okay. Wrong IDs can lead to wrong operations and wrong drugs. My sister felt feint after taking a prescription a couple times. Looking at the label, she realized she had been taking some probably older man's heart medication. I think the notoriously bad hand writing of doctors is to blame for many of these errors, when computer print isn't used.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I'm greatful that he is okay. I don't know what I would have done if I had lost him. I seriously think my wife would have dropped into a deep depression if we had lost him. They both are my world and can't bare the idea of losing either of them.

I assure you, we got hold of the ER supervisor and ripped them a new one for the screw up. We think they wouldn't have even sent us to Riley because we think they looked at the wrong x-ray as they swore my son had pneumonia while Riley x-ray showed nothing wrong. We kept the information in case they messed up with his x-rays too so they could get hold of him and have him taken care of in case he did have pneumonia.

weapon_s, what you are thinking of is an emergency tracheotomy. An emergency trach change is where you have to take out the old tracheostomy tube that in our case had mucus dried on it causing it to be harder to breath through and put in a new one. My son has a Bivona Pediatrics 5.0 TTS (tight to shaft) trach like here .

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Having to keep constantly in touch with hospitals is REALLY sucky...I had my share for my father's last years.

You don't think those kind of mistakes should ever happen....indeed they DO happen a whole shucking lot.

Glad this turned out to a (somewhat) bright ending Specter, hug him an extra today for me.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a few posts in other sites regarding the IBM computer that can diagnose human illness with 90% accuracy, as opposed to the human doctor average of 50%. The Obamacare fanbois on Reddit really hate it (read:downvote my post to invisibility) when I point that out.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

I don't know what I would have done if I had lost him.

Don't. Even. Think. About. It.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a few posts in other sites regarding the IBM computer that can diagnose human illness with 90% accuracy, as opposed to the human doctor average of 50%.

That wasn't a normal computer IIRC. F'ing supercomputer. I've heard you can also pretty accurately predict some lab results. Stochastics freak me out.

Go to: