Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Dating Woes

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Dating Woes
RickyLee
Member #11,573
December 2009

I really think that's a load of rubbish.

If a single mid-week text is enough to put a girl off, then the attraction must have been so ridiculously tenuous that there was little to no chance in the first place.

I'm not going to fall in the superstitious trap of believing that it all hinged on silly little things like that. That's basically the type of nonsense guys who are in denial of their own shortcomings believe.

Your text was a hint that you wanted more than she did. She just wanted to have dates. You clearly cared more than she did. That doesn't mean things couldn't have progressed with just the planned date. She probably just wants to have a good time on dates but your mid-week text hinted at you wanting more faster. Couldn't you have just waited for the planned date?

"denial of their own shortcomings"? Your post basically showed you fell head over heals on the FIRST date, and that you didn't feel up to par (hinting towards a lower self esteem). I'm guessing she probably noticed those feelings on your first date, it's hard to hide those with little things you do when you really think that way, and then the mid-week text just makes you look more desperation.

Some women like to date just to have something to do. They won't be in "love" with you for a long time after being exclusive with you. If you show signs early that you are in "love" it will make them not want to date you again. You have to keep yourself in the game and not show your hand to early if you have feelings for someone.

Seems most people on here will talk about the song and dance as being BS and "the one" will be different. That's just BS. The song and dance between men and women exist for a reason. Almost every species on this planet has their own song and dance between the opposite sex, why would we be any different? Learn it, and play by it, and you can find yourself a lovely relationship.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

{"name":"3stqn0.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/7\/675b2bdccd37750ee7a79c1b057eaf50.jpg","w":576,"h":577,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/7\/675b2bdccd37750ee7a79c1b057eaf50"}3stqn0.jpg

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

RickyLee said:

Almost every species on this planet has their own song and dance between the opposite sex, why would we be any different? Learn it, and play by it, and you can find yourself a lovely relationship.

I agree with some of what you say; however, the mid-week text was a deliberate choice, and all things considered, I highly doubt it was in any way pivotal to her decision.

Pretty high on my priories of an appropriate match is someone I can be candid with. I am fully aware of how unattractive it is to come across as a love-struck fool; however, a big part of my communication is testing whether they can maintain the type of rapport that I'm looking for.

Yes, you're absolutely right that I don't have a particularly high self-esteem, at least not for someone with such an amazing body, great job and general win-factor. :P

Quote:

Some women like to date just to have something to do. They won't be in "love" with you for a long time after being exclusive with you. If you show signs early that you are in "love" it will make them not want to date you again. You have to keep yourself in the game and not show your hand to early if you have feelings for someone.

Generally I would prefer to avoid psychological games. I don't think it's a good start to a relationship. I might lower my chances of certain girls falling for me, but I think I increase my chances of finding a lasting relationship, which is ultimately what I'm after.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, if a single text scares off a girl, she probably isn't worth the time and effort.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I am fully aware of how unattractive it is to come across as a love-struck fool

Hm. I told mine I love her. Which maybe wasn't the best idea. But then, I said a few a lot more stupid things and she still didn't drop me yet :P

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Elias said:

I am fully aware of how unattractive it is to come across as a love-struck fool

Hm. I told mine I love her. Which maybe wasn't the best idea. But then, I said a few a lot more stupid things and she still didn't drop me yet :P

Well, it depends on if you feel there is anything between the two of you. While I was rejected 200+ times, I told my wife when I first met her online that I felt a connection between us and proposed to her right there. She said yes and two years later we were officially married, been together going on 12 years now (married 10). Problem is that everyone is different!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

RickyLee said:

Almost every species on this planet has their own song and dance between the opposite sex, why would we be any different? Learn it, and play by it, and you can find yourself a lovely relationship.

The difference is that we can think about it and we can plan our lives in advance. I'd say sex is almost the only thing that we want on an instinct level, though we are very aware of it, all the rest are things that we desire more on a conscious level and very little on an instinct level. You have this girl in mind. Do you want to have sex with her? Do you want to go out with her regularly? Do you fancy to spend the rest of your life with her? Do you want to have children with her? Do you want to have sex with other girls, too, despite that you already "have" her (alpha male fantasy)? Animals are driven by instincts, humans too, but we can still answer these questions and plan our lives accordingly - while still making mistakes, of course :P.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

when I first met her online that I felt a connection between us

Yes, an internet connection :P ;)

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

jmasterx said:

Yes, an internet connection

Yep, wrap that Ethernet cable around your fist and hold it tight to your heart. :P

RickyLee said:

We are very different. No other animal is controlled by conscious thought to even vaguely the extent that we are. Animals have their song and dance (and often struggle between males) for the purpose of natural selection. Humans have their instincts (physical attraction), but over and above this, they have their conscious minds.

Trivial things like text messages are going to hold little sway compared to major factors like career, prospects, consciously chosen matching criteria etc. Sure, I'm the first to admit that physical attraction might trump all these, but there's no way I'm going to believe that it comes down to playing silly psychological games of "who can be the most aloof".

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

You have this girl in mind. Do you want to have sex with her?

I hope she waits a long time before asking for that, or not at all if we never get past just dating. (One of my problems is being close to other people after all... so would be hard...) I just like how nice she is to me. And how we can talk for hours - which in my case I'd have thought to be impossible. I've also been learning so many things the past weeks. And probably improved my self-confidence and social skills more than in the 20 years before.

--

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

We are very different. No other animal is controlled by conscious thought to even vaguely the extent that we are. Animals have their song and dance (and often struggle between males) for the purpose of natural selection. Humans have their instincts (physical attraction), but over and above this, they have their conscious minds.

Except when it comes to love and sex. It's a very primitive thing. It's been shown that when you're in love, you're essentially drunk or high.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

@James Lohr:
It may be that you are just putting more into this than needs be. Her job is financial, which depending on company (rules and size of company) and position could be very stressful and time consuming. She could have been ignoring your calls due to being stuck working and called off the date just for the reason she said, having a hectic week. I know I call off plans just because I don't feel like going, though I'm an asshole and don't care about anyone else involved in the plan. You said yourself she was amazing, and she could very well be telling the truth and been busy with her job, after all when you have a finance job (again depending) she could be stuck doing the financial job of sorting out regular people's finances or doing finances for her company or for several other companies. People do have bad weeks and call of plans or move them, have you tried setting up another date together after she called off the skating one? If not see is she wants to get together for something else later in the week. One date being canceled doesn't mean anything more than she called it off, but if she keeps saying no to another date or calls them off with odd reasons, then you will have to face it that she doesn't have any interest in you and give up and move on.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Don't press the girl next time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I still believe that pressing her was the right thing to do. Otherwise I'd probably still be obsessing over it now. I needed to be able to draw a line under it - reach some sort of conclusion. As a result, I've been able to have a productive and enjoyable weekend.

I didn't burn any bridges; she can still contact me if she changes her mind.

Arguably a better strategy would have been to be able to draw a line under it without pressing her, but it's not something I'm capable of doing just yet. Maybe I'll learn after going through this a few more times.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

James, this last post of yours is insanely sensible and self-conscious.

Arguably a better strategy would have been to be able to draw a line under it without pressing her

Well, the only other approach I see is that you could have simply waited to draw the line, but the mid-week text was no mistake on your part....pressing the answer was sort of mistake in a general sense but I think (given what you actually wrote) that it worked very well on your part.

Keep up the attitude ;D

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Elias said:

Hm. I told mine I love her. Which maybe wasn't the best idea. But then, I said a few a lot more stupid things and she still didn't drop me yes

I'd say you probably can't know this after a couple of weeks. I'd say she either thinks you're just after sex/were drunk and ignored you or thinks you meant it and will probably find an excuse to slowly walk away.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

a good job in finance

This is key information.

Quote:

a traumatic week

This is normal for her job.

You should read up on Finance jobs so you can understand what she is going through.

You can not call these girls any where near Month End or Year End or Quarter End.

those are pretty much cram period late work nights and job politics.

Edit: I see Specter Phoenix understands.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I'd say she either thinks you're just after sex/were drunk and ignored you or thinks you meant it and will probably find an excuse to slowly walk away.

I probably should stop posting everything here but after chatting with her it seems she just meant she isn't sure yet. And she wants to have sex before she decides :-X

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Maybe we saw it because Specter has experience in that subject.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I understand for one reason, when I started considering college I was told 3 jobs were guarantees; Medical, Legal, Finance. "People are always getting sick, people are always needing a lawyer for numerous reasons, and everyone needs someone that can help organize their finances" is what I was told. Unfortunately, not a people person in regards to what nurses have to do (though recently I did consider going for respiratory therapist), I hate judges, so for a while I seriously considered going into finance for a degree. Ultimately, I love programming more (granted I have issues with design) so I focused on programming.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I understand for one reason, when I started considering college I was told 3 jobs were guarantees; Medical, Legal, Finance.

Opening a funeral service is also a guaranteed stable income ;)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Elias said:

And she wants to have sex before she decides

I do love an old fashioned girl ;)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I love reading these dating threads. The ups and downs, the emotions, the uncertainty!

I'm married, so all I have to look forward to is death (which may be granted if my wife stumbles upon this post...)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

1   2   3 

Go to: