Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Random computer freezes and bsods shitstorm after clean install Win 7

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Random computer freezes and bsods shitstorm after clean install Win 7
Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

What does the bsod say, and there's an option to not reboot if it's too fast for you. You can also dump everything to a file for looking.

Perhaps also run in safe mode and see if things work.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Joachim Arting
Member #13,584
September 2011

I should stop writing those things.. Just had another bluescreen.

This is the output:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA80052CD028
BCP3: 00000000B20F2000
BCP4: 0000000000000175
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

I also attached the .dmp file if that would help. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Men despise religion. They hate it and are afraid it may be true. The cure for this is first to show that religion is not contrary to reason, but worthy of reverence and respect. Next make it attractive, make good men wish it were true, and then show that it is." - Blaise Pascal

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Joachim Arting
Member #13,584
September 2011

Just made a new clean install of windows.
Installed all windows updates first.
Then, while installing the chipset drivers, I got another bluescreen with error code 124.

From googling, the code 124 seems to be the "I don't know" of windows. It could be anything. :(

"Men despise religion. They hate it and are afraid it may be true. The cure for this is first to show that religion is not contrary to reason, but worthy of reverence and respect. Next make it attractive, make good men wish it were true, and then show that it is." - Blaise Pascal

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Glad you can listen to people that try to help you... :-/ Please go back and RE read my post. Also, might be worth a shot looking at a power supply.

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

Joachim Arting
Member #13,584
September 2011

Glad you can listen to people that try to help you... Please go back and RE read my post. Also, might be worth a shot looking at a power supply.

I didn't read your post carefully enough :'(

Still, after googling around alot more, I'm pretty sure it is NOT the OS that is faulty. It is most probably the PSU or MOBO.
Thing is, I got a new 750W PSU 10 months ago and that's way more than my system requires. If it is the cause, it must be loose or something, unless anyone can point out anything else?
I have noticed many are having problems with ASUS boards, but I don't know what to do about it really. I can't afford a new one at the moment and I'm not sure about the warranty.
Any other thought?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I've read that power supplies that are way too big may have voltage instabilities, kind of like trying to get your cruise control to drive smoothly at 25 mph, it overcompensates for any little deviation.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Mostly an overpowered PSU (if its a good one) will just not be running as efficiently as it can. Typically a good PSU will be the most efficient at 50-80% load. They shouldn't be unstable at low loads, but I suppose anything is possible.

I'd suggest making sure your ram is seated properly, and the motherboard isn't shorting out against the case (I've seen that happen) or the motherboard screw stand-offs (ie: there may be an extra one somewhere under the motherboard that doesn't match up with a screw hole in the motherboard, and may be touching some metal contact on the motherboard).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Joachim Arting
Member #13,584
September 2011

Actually, it might be the OS. Should be rather; it all started after a clean install, not any hardware changes.

Found this post where someone linked to a windows 7 hotfix that I think might be my solution.
Keeping all hopes up.

Else I will do what you suggested Thomas.
Thank you guys for your help so far :)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Hardware can be flaky. It could be coincidence that you didn't have problems until you reformatted, or the problem could have been an indirect result.

Joachim Arting
Member #13,584
September 2011

The hotfix did not work, however, I uninstalled SP1 after a freeze today and haven't got a single one after that, except for one bluescreen after 9 hours. Still not 100% sure this is a fix, but at least it's something.

The bluescreens is probably hardware related but anyhow, I'm going abroad for 12 days, so by the time I get back, I will probably have to make a new thread.

Thanks to all of you.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Just because the PSU is only 10 months old doesn't mean it's not fubar.

How long did you run memtest for?

PSU would be my primary suspects. Secondarily, I'd suspect the RAM and GPU. Failing that, mobo or CPU.

1   2 

Go to: