Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Game icon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Game icon
AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

The code is this thread!

Copy paste the code there, dont forget the objects.h to include and that is all.

www.anothergames.com

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Yeah, icons are a great thing to play with, but you have to remember (as pointed out here) that icons are Windows only. If you are making a book for C++ and Allegro then you want to keep OS Specific things to a minimal or leave them out all together. Depending on how you are aiming the book (a person that never programmed a day in their life or a person that has programmed before) you would have to decide "Am I teaching just Allegro or C++ too (or other language)?" If you are teaching a person who has never programmed you will have to teach them to install a compiler for their OS (Windows/Mac/Linux), have a primer that covers the basics of C++ (int/char/float, varables) and the main concepts used in the book (classes/vectors/maps/etc) and then get into Allegro. If you are doing it for someone that is experienced then just put a paragraph or two explaining they need to know how to install a compiler for their OS of choice and know C++ before starting the book then you can just focus on Allegro and the games.

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

Actually, i have never used any other OS except windows, so i made it for visual studio 2012 and added some links how to download express version. I dont know about other OS and the readers have to find their way through, since i don't know any other OS.

I have added a chapter about C++ so they can start with it. It will be quite long and i have not included it in the Allegro 5 chapters, normally, but as a bonus material at the beginning of the book. Experts on C++ normally can find or refresh things or can go directly to the allegro 5 chapters.

I was even thinking to make 2 books.
One for game programming and one for game design where i add the full game.
I dont know, but i want to keep it nice and simple.
A book would be awesome in 100 pages at max.

www.anothergames.com

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Here's an msvc 9 project, complete with icon. Remember to replace the .lib file with the correct one if you want to build with another version of msvc.

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

It doesn't work. Here is what i get after compiling
{"name":"606541","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/f\/1f175b0fa50e34fc927e30d9e60224da.png","w":1280,"h":688,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/f\/1f175b0fa50e34fc927e30d9e60224da"}606541

www.anothergames.com

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

That's not compiler messages, it's about the conversion of the project configuration. It's all warnings and no errors, so you could try building and see if it works.

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

This is what i get when i try to build it
{"name":"606542","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/b\/0bbe4592180f0fab8759d05668a5417d.png","w":1280,"h":985,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/b\/0bbe4592180f0fab8759d05668a5417d"}606542

www.anothergames.com

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Are you using the Allegro headers from the zip file I uploaded? Looks like there is a problem with the int64_t type. It's defined in almsvc.h. Just change it to be defined unconditionally and see if that helps.

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

What does defined unconditionally mean?

www.anothergames.com

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

That there is no "if something" in front of it. It's always defined.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Actually, i have never used any other OS except windows, so i made it for visual studio 2012 and added some links how to download express version. I dont know about other OS and the readers have to find their way through, since i don't know any other OS.I have added a chapter about C++ so they can start with it. It will be quite long and i have not included it in the Allegro 5 chapters, normally, but as a bonus material at the beginning of the book. Experts on C++ normally can find or refresh things or can go directly to the allegro 5 chapters.I was even thinking to make 2 books.
One for game programming and one for game design where i add the full game.
I dont know, but i want to keep it nice and simple.
A book would be awesome in 100 pages at max.

Game Design is covered on numerous sites (GDNet, Flipcode's Archive site, and Gamasutra for example). As for the OS, drop out any OS specific code (Win32API/DirectX) and keep focus on C++ and Allegro only otherwise you may lose a large chunk of Allegro users as most I believe are Linux or Mac now (I only use Windows to play games (Guild Wars, Steam games, etc) and do all my coding in Ubuntu.

1   2 

Go to: