Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What a scam!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
What a scam!
Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Bob Keane said:

Massachusetts just had its tax holiday weekend. People were out in droves spending money just because they did not have to give the government an additional 6.25% of their money.

It would probably motivate me to buy a few things I otherwise wouldn't have (or would have bought later) for a 17% discount :X

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Speaking of this, there's a new humble bundle. Buy 5 great games you wouldn't otherwise buy and SAVE BIG!

One major difference for the Humble Bundle is that you can pay $0.01 if you want (AFAIK, this is still possible). I'm sure most of us throw away more than that on a daily basis on stupid junk that we don't need or really want (Hell, it's easy for that to even fall out of your pockets).

I do agree though that I have personally wasted a lot of money on Humble Bundles because as a Linux user I try to show support for Linux gaming. I have only played a handful of the games that I've gotten from Humble Bundle. Many of them are great, but some of them just suck, and I've spent way more than I should have on them...

At the same time, I ended up missing the bundle with Introversion's games in it, and later decided that I wanted them after all. I ended up spending $50 to get the entire bundle in a tin. I have only played Uplink yet, but I've heard the others are supposed to be good too..

I digress. Wimmins r dumm.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

{"name":"20120815.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/a\/3a0e6cb12befde64589cb7507c1cfd4f.gif","w":612,"h":723,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/a\/3a0e6cb12befde64589cb7507c1cfd4f"}20120815.gif

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Temia: you learn to ignore bambams pretty quickly around here.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Did posts get deleted here or something?

EDIT: maybe do like other forums and put a "Post deleted" message, at least.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Yeah, they got deleted. Bad, bad pictures of food products! I'm sorry, Abbott!

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

If hosted on crappy servers, the last people who bid get a nice big lag; they think they are going to get the product for well under the value, but actually thousands of people think the same.
I can't imagine any other system in which people would bid over the retail price (of a gift card). Pretty good scam. I personally wouldn't trust like an auction I had to buy my way in, though.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

There are occasions where those penny auctions sites will get you a really killer deal.

One I looked at in the past actually did let you take say a $1000+ big screen TV for well under retail value. But they more than made up for it because they bought bulk, and they offer the other top bidders a chance to buy the tv for just under or at retail after the auction ends. When enough people do that, they make a killing. The only problem is getting addicted to the auction process. The site forced you to buy like $60 worth of bids at a time, and you can blow through them really fast. And if you're stupid about bidding, you may never win anything. Or if you do, you pay too much.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

weapon_S said:

I can't imagine any other system in which people would bid over the retail price (of a gift card).

They're thinking "I might get it on the very next bid! Why stop now?"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Auctions are like gambling, they provide a shot of addictive endorphins and/or hormones. They can be quite addictive.

--

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Auctions are like gambling

These auctions are not LIKE gambling, they ARE gambling. Every bid increases the time to auction end by a set amount, meaning an auction won't likely end until a lot of bids has come in, ensuring thousands of dollars worth of bids for an item worth far less.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

...and the SEC shut them down. Well, at least the Ponzi scheme affiliate program is dead.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

...and the SEC shut them down. Well, at least the Ponzi scheme affiliate program is dead.

Aw, crap! My roomies gonna be extra mean now!

[EDIT]

In the spirit of "I told you so", I asked him about it. He's not worried at all, he says (slightly paraphrased) "The Atlanta office is still open. The owner shut it down himself because they kept bugging him. North Carolina can't stand to see anybody get a good deal"

1   2 

Go to: