Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Crazy Android Dev

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Crazy Android Dev
Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Why is Android harder than ios? Android ADT is simple to install, simple to use, simple to internationalise and you get a full set of gui designers, debuggers, emulator, etc.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I found Android development to be very straightforward. I haven't tried writing games though, just GUI apps.

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

I have just released my third game on Android and I can vouch for libgdx as well. It's the best thing since sliced bread! I even ported an older game to libgdx to make use of hardware acceleration. And no, I'm not paid to say that. ;)

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

What are the rules for Android (or for that matter XNA/IOS) with regard indie distribution? Are you allowed to create your game for these and charge for it on the app stores but also release it on other platforms (e.g. html5, PC, Linux) for free?

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

relay01
Member #6,988
March 2006

Are you allowed to create your game for these and charge for it on the app stores but also release it on other platforms (e.g. html5, PC, Linux) for free?

That can be a very complicated question for the indie game front.
XNA, if its on the indie channel then it doesn't matter. If it becomes approved for XBLA then yeah, there are timed "exclusives".
Android allows you to maintain whatever sale rights.
I believe Apple App Store lets you but... ios is pretty locked down to the apple app store.

It varies by platform.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Thanks for mentioning libgdx; looks interesting. I'll check it out tonight. :)

EDIT: As long as this thread is here I'm trying to install libgdx but I keep getting this error when I try to install the Google Web Toolkit in Eclipse:

Quote:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: Google Web Toolkit SDK 2.4.0 2.4.0.v201206290132-rel-r37 (com.google.gwt.eclipse.sdkbundle.e37.feature.feature.group 2.4.0.v201206290132-rel-r37)
Missing requirement: Google Plugin for Eclipse 3.7 3.0.1.v201206290132-rel-r37 (com.google.gdt.eclipse.suite.e37.feature.feature.group 3.0.1.v201206290132-rel-r37) requires 'org.mortbay.jetty.server 0.0.0' but it could not be found
Cannot satisfy dependency:
From: Google Web Toolkit SDK 2.4.0 2.4.0.v201206290132-rel-r37 (com.google.gwt.eclipse.sdkbundle.e37.feature.feature.group 2.4.0.v201206290132-rel-r37)
To: com.google.gdt.eclipse.suite.e37.feature.feature.group 3.0.1

Can't find much help online, besides bug reports. Thoughts?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

And this is the sort of thing that makes me avoid Eclipse.

<Eclipse> Hah! You wanted to work? Screw that, fight with me for a couple hours!

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I don't think I've ever had a programming environment "just work". Though to its credit, Allegro probably came closest. :)

Anyway, I might have been downloading the version before the most up to date version. Gonna let that install overnight and see what it looks like tomorrow.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Temia Eszteri
Member #14,459
July 2012

I seem to have a lot less trouble with Eclipse than everyone else I know... Probably because I just use PyDev and nothing else.

“Nothing is withheld from us what we have conceived to do.” —Russell Kirsch

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I tried eclipse a few times. Every time I get started with it something doesn't work. For the last android project I was working on I wanted to use eclipse because of the integrated debugger and android ui designer. Sadly it wasn't to be. So I just went back to what I know works. The 'android create project' command, along with ant and make. Ended up writing a snazzy helper script to handle one step building and installation.

I dunno, if I have to spend a couple hours or more trying to get an ide to work, I find a new 'ide'.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I'm like Temia. I've installed Eclipse (for Android) on two machines now, and haven't encountered a single problem.

1   2 

Go to: