Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Driving - Short Bus Asshole

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Driving - Short Bus Asshole
BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

In the UK, learning to use roundabouts properly is at least 50% of learning to drive

:o Is it really that hard to use your roundabouts? We have plenty of them around me. No mayhem, and no special training required.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

BAF said:

We have plenty of them around me. No mayhem, and no special training required.

Are they simple ones like this:

{"name":"au_Orange%20RAbout%205.JPG","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/c\/eccd84c97bfdfea6a98d7eeb44aca8d2.jpg","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/c\/eccd84c97bfdfea6a98d7eeb44aca8d2"}au_Orange%20RAbout%205.JPG

Or more complicated ones like this:

{"name":"rndabout.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/8\/78d5d025cce1d446fed125298a87070a.jpg","w":434,"h":296,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/8\/78d5d025cce1d446fed125298a87070a"}rndabout.jpg

Back in Christchurch, we had a three-lane, six entry/exit point roundabout that confused quite a few people.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

More confusing roads are definitely safer because it forces people to slow down. It doesn't mean that people are better drivers... it just means the people designing the roads never learned how to draw a straight line.

The main problem with stop/start intersections is that women putting on their make-up and texting their bff run red lights at a high rate of speed. >:(

According to Wikipedia, fatalities per billion km driven:

• United Kingdom: 5.7

• Australia: 5.8

• Canada: 8.2

• United States: 8.5

• New Zealand: 9.1

Everybody in the UK lives in London and walks or takes a bus around the roundabouts, so I'm not sure why their fatality rate is so high. :o

Here in the USA we drive drunk with loaded shotguns at high rates of speed through dangerous intersections in blinding snow storms, and we still are safer than the people down in New Zealand who mostly ride sheep to work. ???

And look at Canada. So cute trying to be just like the USA. Not quite there yet.

Edward Sheets
Member #4,734
June 2004

No wonder the fatality rate is so high in NZ. That roundabout is the work of the devil. WTF

---

Note: carving a pentagram on the top of a container of spoiled yogurt does not summon a yogurt demon. -Kikaru

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

The roundabouts here are of the simple type as they're replacing old four way intersections. Haven't drove through one where there was alot of cars. (I did drive through one that should of have a lot of cars, but there wasn't... I'm guessing people are scared of those things)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

I believe I remember reading somewhere that Kansas has the most roundabouts than any other US city.

<edit>
I want to retract my response to not sound like a dumbass. I still think I read it somewhere but now cannot find any evidence to back that up :P
</edit>

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

That roundabout is the work of the devil. WTF

The one in the picture is actually in England.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I believe I remember reading somewhere that Kansas has the most roundabouts than any other US city.

Kansas is a state. :-/

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

LennyLen said:

That's a fractal roundabout!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Learning to use roundabouts was easy for me. Someone told me "give way to the right" and the rest just fell into place. (That's for countries driving on the left. If you drive on the right, it's "give way to the left".)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I have driven on roundabouts here in the USA without experiencing this mayhem that you speak of.

Don't get modern roundabouts where you give way to traffic already on the roundabout with the old style ones that had the opposite rule which is mayhem.

I think safety is better here due to the level of enforced safety and where it's targetted. For example on pedestrian (zebra) crossings, pedestrians always have the right of way so cars/bikes have to stop, seat belts aren't secondary and usage is almost 100%, distractions such as mobile phones are illegal, etc.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

LennyLen said:

Funny you should ask. That is in fact the exact roundabout I learned to drive on. It's called the "Magic Roundabout", located in Swindon about 20 minutes drive from my parents' place.

I remember that b@stard like the back of my hand.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Well, if you look at the majority of your 'larger' roundabouts they are all now traffic light controlled. So you could argue that roundabouts are only of use for low-volume traffic and therefore intersections are just as good...

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

Kansas is a state.

I assume he means Kansas City, Kansas.

And because I haven't said Kansas enough,
Kansas Kansas. Kansas Kansas Kansas, Kansas Kansas.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

so I'm not sure why their fatality rate is so high

According to the news they reckon 80% of all major road accidents are caused on country roads (think, single lane windy roads in the cough idyllic english countryside.) This is due to farmers doing stupid things in the road with their tractors and lunatic drivers who can't drive and go too fast round bends).

So the solution they are thinking of is reducing the speed limit from 60mph to 40mph.

Neil.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The solution is to stop selling fast cars. :-X

Think of the children.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

They do (think of the children), there's a big move here to changing residential roads from 30mph to 20mph (where instead of probably killing to maybe just crippling a child), but of course nobody actually goes this speed :P

I think the best way to improve drivers is to force them to re-test every 10 years and make them under go motorbike training ;D

Neil.

1   2   3 

Go to: