Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Diablo III

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Diablo III
Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

So, after all the initial let-downs with server/login issues, is it working fast, first time every time?

Also, is it any good? metacritic still has critics score high and user score 90% negative.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

It's a nice game to play with someone. IMHO playing alone gets boring fast, and if you're not the explorer kind of guy the game is very short (most of my friends have reached level 60 in less than 2 weeks, and that means you have to replay the game (at different difficulties) almost 3 times already).

It's worth 60€? Big no. I'd say it's a 30€ game. The game is short, the amount of scenarios is not very big, and they reuse a lot the graphics. For example, you see the Cathedral graphics all around the game (a watch tower that uses the cathedral tile set? WTF?). Even on the same map style, you see a lot of repeated "map pieces" generated on the same map.

Other than that, the game works flawlessly, this week seems to be much more stable (but there's still a several hours maintenance each week. I don't understand why a game like this needs that). It's fun and it can get very addictive (again, if playing with friends).

Graphics are very disappointing too. Even A F2P game like Path of Exile has much better graphics :/.

There's still no PvP, but from what I've read and seen on videos, it's going to be crap. Even Blizzard says it will be unbalanced and that they don't want to touch skills to balance PvP. I guess it'll be fun for some casual play when you're bored, and that's all.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Even Blizzard says it will be unbalanced and that they don't want to touch skills to balance PvP.

... seriously? Wow.

My interest in this game started at 0 and has been working its way down ever since. Perhaps this will work in Torchlight II's favour. :)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

I'll say what we're all thinking: there's nothing good out until Borderlands 2. ;)

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Haven't tried Borderlands yet; I got it on a Steam sale but FPS's aren't really my thing. Been really enjoying Guild Wars 2 this last weekend, though. Its retail release is really all I'm looking forward to right now.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I beat Borderlands and somehow my data got deleted and not touched it since. Lost interest in Diablo 3 pretty fast after YT videos.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

After approximately 200h of in-game time it is starting to feel a little boring. I have a level 60 wizard on Inferno Act II (keeps dying way too often due to crappy gear) and a level 55 barbarian in Hell and a few low level chars.

The only way to get better from level 60 forward is to acquire better gear which is hard to find or really expensive (on the auction house) which means it's all about farming, farming and more farming from then on.

My wizard deals about 20k damage per second and has almost 30k hitpoints. Both numbers sound impressive (if you've played Diablo 2) but in D3 on Inferno... even twice as much on each would probably not make the game much easier.

The frightening thing is... I still somehow enjoy the grinding and the farming and the challenge and I will continue playing until I beat Inferno at least once with any character.

It's currently more fun to continue playing my other low level characters(Monk and Witch Doctor).

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

The Real money auction house is out. People seem to be making money off it already. Welcome to the age of overly-complicated slot machines! :P

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Dario ff said:

The Real money auction house is out. People seem to be making money off it already.

This is the only bit I was curious about. Will be interesting to see what kind of real-world profits people manage to pull down ... and what other games might start doing it.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

My guess is it will take a while until it stabilizes like the WoW's auction house. Prices didn't fluctuate much, and you sort of had a conversion between assets and gold prices. My guess is that the real-money prices will kind of match the same value in gold(unless it's an extremely rare item). There IS some sort of way to convert gold into real money officially I think, don't quote me on that tho.

and what other games might start doing it.

Well it takes a (relatively succesful) juggernaut to set the standards. I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing this kind of server-side gameplay and more stuff like the RMAH quite soon. :P

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Real money trading and online-only are the two reasons why I'm not interested in this game. I find those two things very off-putting. I was a great fan of D2, but I'm intending to skip D3 unless it becomes super cheap or something.

-----------

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I've just read real-cash trading is now live. It's this reason (the ability to transfer non-real items into cash) that people hack xboxes and trade Fifa Football goodies. It'll just be a magnet for hackers finding ways to break into your account.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

As far as I'm correctly informed, access to the RMAH is only allowed for players using a Blizzard authenticator (similar to an RSA token).

That makes account theft harder for the hackers for they would need not only your username and password but they would also have to get hold of your physical authenticator or find a way to replicate the numbers it generates.

For the latter they'd need your authenticator's serial number and the algorithm to generate the numbers.

In addition to that, I think real money transactions also require you to sign up for the SMS verification service, so for each transaction you'll receive an additional security code which you have to enter somewhere before it is finally committed.

Summary: hacker needs to steal your username+password, your authenticator and your mobile phone to do any harm

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

After having watched it being played, my interest in the game is now zero.
It's just WoW light, with every aspect of the game designed to keep you grinding mindlessly.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Well, to be honest, you can get to level 60 and finish the game on the first 3 difficulties without any grinding (and without using the AH). It's after that, to be able to beat Inferno, that you need to grind (either to get equipment yourself, or to get money to buy at the AH). The 1.0.3 patch is supposed to lower the Inferno difficulty (specially Act II, which has a big difficulty increase compared to Act I).

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

gnolam said:

It's just WoW light, with every aspect of the game designed to keep you grinding mindlessly.

WoW, but without the graphics (Diablo III looks basically identical to Diablo II) and without the MMO aspect. Also without the fighting (in D3 you just smash the mouse button(s)). And without the content (D3 is just one tiny linear quest, WoW looks like a huge free-roaming world). Maybe "WoW extremely light" would fit better :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

gnolam said:

After having watched it being played, my interest in the game is now zero.

Yeah, thank God for YouTube! Saved me $60 which I spent on getting 3 $20 PS3 games I had wanted instead.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Diablo is best described as a rogue-like with fancy graphics and simplified game mechanics. It's all about hacking, slashing and looting. The story is just some fluff which no one really cares about anyway. Ideally it would have no story at all, just random generated dungeons, monsters and loot.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I've now played the game right through: I've killed Diablo on Inferno, and I have such good gear that there are no significant upgrades left for me on the AH. I also have 80 million gold (to give you an idea of how much this is, gold is selling at around 9 euros per million - so that's about 700 euros worth of gold).

Elias said:

WoW, but without the graphics (Diablo III looks basically identical to Diablo II) and without the MMO aspect. Also without the fighting (in D3 you just smash the mouse button(s)). And without the content (D3 is just one tiny linear quest, WoW looks like a huge free-roaming world). Maybe "WoW extremely light" would fit better

I totally agree.

• Worse graphics than WoW

• Worse item system than WoW (it is completely AH-based)

• No end-game

• A fraction of the skill required

• Almost zero customization compared to WoW

• Zero community feel

• No PvP

• Vastly less fun

What makes it that much more disappointing is that, technically, the engine is extremely impressive. They've just made the balance/design decisions to make it a zero-skill face-rolling click-fest.

[edit]

I suppose the one consolation is that I can sell my gold and gear and treat myself to a new monitor. ;D

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

How have you done 80 million? :o

My guess is playing the market, I'm not good at that, and bores me to hell :/

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

My guess is playing the market, I'm not good at that, and bores me to hell :/

Well, the AH is currently the only PvP in the game, so I actually find it to be the most enjoyable bit by far. But yes, I made all my gold on the AH.

It's one of the major floors in the game: apart from during levelling, you'll almost never find an upgrade from a drop.

The game went like this for me: I got to level 57, then started playing the AH. Since then I have never had an upgrade from an in-game drop. In fact, I have never had anything that comes vaguely close to being an upgrade. The most valuable item I have ever had drop in the game has been worth about 100k, so I may as well not even bother looting stuff. On the AH, I'll pass up guaranteed resells of 50k because I consider the time it takes to put up 1 item to not be worth 50k.

I'm not going to share my technique for making gold on the AH just yet, as it would only take 2-3 more people using it for it to stop being worthwhile, but it essentially involves scanning for bargains and snatching them insanely fast (obviously everyone is doing this already, but I have a few tricks that make it vastly more efficient). However, I suspect it will become less effective as people being a bit more savvy about the worth of items.

I suppose playing through inferno was reasonably fun the first time because, even with my gear, it was quite hard. But there's no way I would ever bother farming act 4 inferno when I can make gold 10-20 times faster on the AH, and now that I've killed Diablo it feels completely pointless.

Other than that, there's PvP to prepare for, but I've already tailored my gear to what I think will be best for PvP.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I also have 80 million gold (to give you an idea of how much this is, gold is selling at around 9 euros per million - so that's about 700 euros worth of gold).

Awesome, you just earned my yearly scholarship out of playing Diablo 3 in a month. :P

Other than that, there's PvP to prepare for, but I've already tailored my gear to what I think will be best for PvP.

Blizz said they won't bother balancing PVP, as it's only meant to be for fun. My last bit of interest just faded away. :-/

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Dario ff said:

you just earned my yearly scholarship out of playing Diablo 3 in a month

I've just hired a 200 cluster Chinese Diablo III bot and I'm currently at 8 billion gold.

Neil.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Apparently they've addressed performance issues on OS X and the current Wine can install and play the game out of the box. I might pick it up once the prices drop and when I have the time.

At the moment I'm having fun with Diablo II (and I just installed I as well). Don't know why I had such a big problem defeating Duriel on my previous playthrough... he fell pretty quickly this time.

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Forget Diablo 3, I'm waiting for Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition... :D

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

1   2   3 

Go to: