Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Diablo III

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Diablo III
SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Evert said:

Don't know why I had such a big problem defeating Duriel on my previous playthrough... he fell pretty quickly this time.

If your previous playthrough was long ago enough, then it's probably because of the patches. Many new patches made the game a lot easier in quite a few places (a good thing in my opinion, as some things were frustratingly hard before). I know for sure Duriel was affected by some of the patches.

Forget Diablo 3, I'm waiting for Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

That sounds pretty exciting :D.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

So somebody has finished it on hard mode
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18532670

And I hear in the same link they're releasing a patch to make it easier.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

But did he do it only with gear he found himself?

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

And I hear in the same link they're releasing a patch to make it easier.

Yeah. I'm kind of disappointed by the patch 1.0.3 changes, mainly because I hadn't had a chance to complete the Inferno difficulty before the monsters got weaker.

They've also jacked the price of repairing your gear up. It used to cost me ~3k gold to repair when my gear was totally trashed (0% durability). After the patch it costs me about ~8k and I'm only level 58 with so-so gear to begin with (I haven't bought anything from AH yet). I've seen screenshots of people with good gear at level 60 paying upwards of 30k gold for repairs. Unless the gold drops drastically increase for Inferno I think I'm going to go broke due to repair bills... Hmmm maybe Blizzard is trying to force players into buying gold off the RMAH ;D

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Well, they do need to have huge gold sinks; otherwise there will be massive inflation as more and more gold enters the economy.

-----------

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

I've just decided to get indestructible equipment from the AH. I'm kind of disappointed because I like to use mostly dropped equipment, but with the insane repair costs it's unsustainable :-/.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Hey! This could be a great economics experiment! Forced payment for health care comes to mind!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

What does it have to do with health care? :-X I could see the relationship if instead of paying a repair cost, you have to pay a monthly fee so your repairs can be free.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

"Indestructible equipment"? Sounds like a noob's dream come true. :) I imagine that's pricey though ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Forced payment for health care comes to mind!

We have that in the UK, it's called National Insurance. Works well if you are chronicaly ill, old or poor.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Works well if you are chronicaly ill, old or poor.

It would work the same way in a game if you're an incompetent boob, but the other players would suffer. OTOH, you'd have to have some sort of inefficient overhead to make it more like the real thing. Kind of like those gambling games that throw a lot of the weight on luck instead of skill, such as craps vs. poker, but the house gets its cut anyway.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

It would work the same way in a game if you're an incompetent boob, but the other players would suffer.

Yeah, that's the typical American thinking that is inculcated since you're a child: if you're a competent person you'll succeed, and all those who don't succeed are incompetent. The American dream. But that's so false in so many ways. But people that succeed of course like to think that they've done so because they're competent and the rest are incompetent, it enlarges your ego.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

But people that succeed of course like to think that they've done so because they're competent and the rest are incompetent, it enlarges your ego.

But by most measures of success, I'm a miserable failure, so why should I believe that? And my father was a democrat who wanted to suck on the government tit, and resented successful neighbors who'd started with nothing. I was so embarrassed then...

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

if you're a competent person you'll succeed, and all those who don't succeed are incompetent. The American dream. But that's so false in so many ways.

It's false in real life. It's generally true in video games if the designers are doing their jobs, though ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Exactly how do you define success? Owning a bunch of overpriced status symbols, or being proud of your life?

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Yeah, that's the typical American thinking that is inculcated since you're a child: if you're a competent person you'll succeed, and all those who don't succeed are incompetent. The American dream. But that's so false in so many ways. But people that succeed of course like to think that they've done so because they're competent and the rest are incompetent, it enlarges your ego.

Yes because Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Albert Einstein, Michelangelo, Thomas Alva Edison etc... Were all common people... The were just lucky...

Probably not all who don't succeed are incompetent but they probably are just conformists...

Edit: I see it this way. I know what to do to don't succeed, but I also know what I have to do to succeed.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I've seen screenshots of people with good gear at level 60 paying upwards of 30k gold for repairs

Yeah, I've already had a 42k repair bill. However, the patch has made inferno vastly easier (mobs literally do half their previous damage), so I'm able to farm act 3/4 solo with hardly any deaths. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the game is a little too easy now, but then I do have exceptionally good gear.

My DH friend is having a horrible time since the patch - he was built as a glasscannon, so even with the mob damage nerf, he gets one-shotted. Also, attackspeed and a nerf to his primary attack means he has half the mobility, and half the damage. He is quite upset.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Yay, the last patch made the game so sluggish and unresponsive it's ridiculous. That's on a pretty good computer (AMD Phenom II X6 3,2GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 560 Ti 1024MB VRAM). So yay, I literally can't play the game now, and I have the latest NVidia drivers (worked fine with the same drivers before the patch).

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

The fact that they are halving the damage of this-and-that makes it sound like the game is still in beta. Those are some pretty serious balance changes. It suggests that the balance was either completely wrong when they launched the game, or that they just have no idea what they are doing. (or both)

-----------

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Just read the patch notes. Thought I'd give the game another spin but... well they seem to have a problem where the client always gets stuck while retrieving the hero-list after login so it's impossible to play atm. :P

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

The fact that they are halving the damage of this-and-that makes it sound like the game is still in beta. Those are some pretty serious balance changes. It suggests that the balance was either completely wrong when they launched the game, or that they just have no idea what they are doing.

I've concluded that they just like to mix things up. How could a game that is generally so well balanced get attack speed so wrong that it needs to be nerfed by 50%?

I was wrong about my repair bill by the way :-/

{"name":"606172","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/1\/91049b229eea7b3ffb3db747d3a66365.jpg","w":1792,"h":423,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/1\/91049b229eea7b3ffb3db747d3a66365"}606172

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

The game is so unbalanced it's not even funny :/. I'm playing with a friend, we did Act I on inferno quite easily, we could even beat most elite packs. We get to Act II and we get beaten by white mobs :/. And that after buying some equipment. So there's still a big wall between Act I and II. We then decided to just rush to Maghda, and killed her easily. So a boss is much easier than standard mobs?

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Act II inferno is where the masses tend to have problems. :P It was a bit annoying on my first time through, but in my current gear I'd need to fall asleep at my keyboard to die.

But yeah, the white bugs at the start of act II are much too hard if you're not well geared. It's a steep upward slope in difficulty from act II onwards, apart from the occasional easy boss (like Maghda).

The game's difficulty is lazily implemented - instead of new mechanics, they've just made things hit harder and have more health, although I do think that the elites difficulty is well balanced at endgame - at the moment it's quite fun for me because I can take out any elite packs in act3/4, but many will kill me if I'm not paying attention.

Earlier in the game, there were times where the difficulty felt completely broken simply because of my gear. Up until level 40, I didn't use the AH, and so my weapon was 20 levels behind, making bosses virtually impossible.

Anyway, I had good loot this evening: a legendary ring that I've already sold for 12 million, and another rare ring that should go for 30+ million! :O

On a separate note (as this is now becoming my D3 dump): I can't wait for PvP. My gear is currently off the scale - even with infinite money, it would not be possible to buy gear as good as mine without also spending a solid week scanning the AH and waiting for good pieces to appear. What's more, I've also experimented and tailored my set for what I believe will be perfect for PvP based upon my Arena / L.o.L. experience. So I'm expecting to have a load of fun facerolling over other players when PvP begins. I love unfair advantages. ;D

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I've just decided to get indestructible equipment from the AH. I'm kind of disappointed because I like to use mostly dropped equipment, but with the insane repair costs it's unsustainable .

Well, perhaps don't die.

It's a bit sad that all above posts don't mention the HC, it's all the fun of the game basically, well most of it. You die once, and it's permanent. All your items and experience is gone. Yes sad. But the adrenalin of surviving with 6.7% hp is worth it.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

If you have an unstable internet connection (or Blizzard's servers get unstable) you can't play HC though, since any disconnect means you have to start over...

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

1   2   3 

Go to: