Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » monitor doesn't switch off when computer is shut down

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
monitor doesn't switch off when computer is shut down
Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

hi!

recently, i got a new benq monitor which is connected to my pc via HDMI.
the problem is that the monitor doesn't switch off automatically when the pc is shut down and instead the monitor shows a blue screen (not the blue screen of death :-p) until the power-button is pressed....

any ideas?

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

... turn it off manually? :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

gnolam said:

turn it off manually

That's just backward. What he needs is a voltage sensing switch connected to a solenoid which presses the off button when it detects the machine losing power.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

My monitors (almost) shut themselves off when they're not getting a signal, but it doesn't matter much because both the computer and monitor are on a power strip that's connected in turn to an uninterruptable power supply. Which I unplug from the wall if there's any chance of thunderstorms.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

So your monitor only turns off when it's raining outside?

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

When I leave the house for an hour or more and there's any chance of tstorms, or if it's lightning right now!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

any ideas?

Have you waited for it to turn off? Sometimes they just take a while.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

I second turning it off manually. If that doesn't work, unplug it from the wall. If still no luck, place it inside a Faraday cage.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

after ~ 10 minutes it still didn't switch off :-p

yeah i know that i can turn it off manually but that's annoying for example if you have a timer set to shut down your computer at a given time and nobody is there to do this :-p

so i guess it's a hardware-related problem that can't be "fixed" :-(

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

My monitors (almost) shut themselves off when they're not getting a signal

I meant the StarLogic ??? crt I bought in 2005 is perfectly capable of shutting off the electron guns, et. al. when it doesn't get a video signal (gets cool and takes awhile to "warm up" on restart, just the led flashes faintly), and the ViewSonic flat screen I got from a junk dealer for free will shut off the fluorescent tube thingees when it doesn't get a video signal no matter what OS have been engineered by people with a clue. They're not quite powered down all the way, as they'll "turn on" when they get a signal again. What's the exact model of this "benq" monitor again?

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

yeah every monitor i had before this one did switch off or at least went into a kind of standby-mode and the screen went black - but not this one :-p

it a Benq G2400W...

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

My LG wife's screen does the same thing. She has to manually switch it off all the time.

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

When I'm not at my computer, I turn the monitor off. Simple and it saves the most electricity, short of completely unplugging it from power.

Frank Drebin
Member #2,987
December 2002

when i use the standard RGB adapter/cable (or whatever this is called) the monitor does switch off when it gets no signal - unfortunately i'm using HDMI :-p

ok so it seems i have to turn it of manually then :-p
thanks anyway for your comments!

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

This is a known issue. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1237718&page=20 Dig deep in the thread. It's like leaving the tv on when you pop a dvd out of the player. At least with my dvdr.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

unfortunately i'm using HDMI

I'm using a flat screen monitor that was given to me, and it didn't come with a cable. Since the HDMI cables at the local electronics stores cost ~$30USD and VGA cables cost ~$5, I went with VGA in case this monitor didn't work at all. However, it had no way to tell the video card what the resolution was, so I had to google for three minutes to configure a modeline for X, and three hours of hair pulling while googling to get the Nvidia app in Windows to use the native resolution.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

DVI wasn't an option?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

DVI wasn't an option?

I don't think I knew about that, but I'd bet a Pepsi(TM) that one of those cables would have been outrageously expensive too.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I think it's somewhere between the two price wise. $30 is a bit high for HDMI anyway.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Consumer Electronics stores love to rape your wallet for cables. If you're in need of a cable, and don't care if it takes a few days, order from Monoprice. $5 hdmi/dvi/vga cables. And dirt cheap USB and Ethernet cables. It's pretty good if you want to order a bunch of cables, then the $8 shipping is worth it (though $5+8 is still less than FutureShop or BestBuy want for cables).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Go to: