Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Diablo III

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Diablo III
Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Just 3h and 25m left until the Installer unlocks. Then another 7h until the servers start in Europe and after that, I think, another 8 or 9 hours until the Americas servers start and Global Play gets activated.

Oh the excitement! I can not remember the last time I was so excited about any game release.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I can't say I've ever been excited about a game release. Well that isn't entirely true. The last game that excited me (actually the only game series that excited me) was Metal Gear Solid releases. Though I'm not overly excited about MGSRising. Outside of that too many games have lost the enjoyment factor for me because of how much some games just feel like clones :(. I hope Diablo III breaks this rut for me, but don't know when I'll actually buy it.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

:( AFAIK I have to wait until tomorrow morning to pick it up. I should have just went with the digital purchase.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

well, left4dead 2 stopped working yesterday for no apparent reason. I've almost given up on steam and pc games. I think I actually prefer the xbox minecraft than the pc, the terreria/minecraft crafting/inventory is really good and the lack of mods focuses you on playing the game not pissing around with mods that make you fly and have guns.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Installation completed! Now waiting for servers to start. :D

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

well, left4dead 2 stopped working yesterday for no apparent reason. I've almost given up on steam and pc games. I think I actually prefer the xbox minecraft than the pc, the terreria/minecraft crafting/inventory is really good and the lack of mods focuses you on playing the game not pissing around with mods that make you fly and have guns.

Playing Call of Duty on Xbox is pain in the balls with all those "migrating from host" messages when you're a bout to blow somebody head off... I think we shouldn't blame the platform, but the game.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Servers were started 25 minutes ago but of course, as everyone expected, login is still impossible because they're choking under the heavy load.

It's still funny to read all the flame threads on the Blizzard forums. ;D

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Being playing the GW2 beta stress test. Now I've started playing D3. Am I blind, or there's no way to change the difficulty? Because normal was way too easy, at least in the beta :/

BTW, for now I can only play the starter edition (they seem to give it to people that have participated in the beta, and that includes the public stress test), waiting to the game to arrive to my mail :P At least I can advance a little while I wait :D

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I played GW2 today too. Got my Guardian her 5 skills in 2-handed hammers; Banish is freaking hilarious. I think this is the only game I've ever been able to literally beat the sense out of someone.

Am I blind, or there's no way to change the difficulty? Because normal was way too easy, at least in the beta :/

Blizzard said the game will be much better balanced at release, because the difficulty (or lack thereof) was a very common complaint in beta. Since release is basically "now", I'm curious how different it is ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Was watching some Asian players doing coop, the witch doctor player was dying a lot in Act 3 already at lvl 28. It doesn't seem hard but it definitely kicks your ass if you just spam and don't position strategically with a class like that.

Monk looked as if he was facerolling to me. :P

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

You have to beat the game to unlock a higher difficulty.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

I played GW2 today too. Got my Guardian her 5 skills in 2-handed hammers; Banish is freaking hilarious. I think this is the only game I've ever been able to literally beat the sense out of someone.

I created a ranger to see how it worked (specially, the pet system), but didn't play it much. I went with some friends to WvW and I spent the entire night with my Necro there. I even levelled 2 entire levels there :o. And we won again ;D:P.

Quote:

Blizzard said the game will be much better balanced at release, because the difficulty (or lack thereof) was a very common complaint in beta. Since release is basically "now", I'm curious how different it is ...

Indeed there's a noticeable increase in difficulty from the beta (basically, enemies have more hit-points, but I think there are also more of them at certain points). The difficulty is much better now.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

BTW, for now I can only play the starter edition (they seem to give it to people that have participated in the beta, and that includes the public stress test), waiting to the game to arrive to my mail At least I can advance a little while I wait

Aww, I didn't get a free starter edition and I participated in the public stress test. Oh well. I picked up my preorder already and will be installing it when I get home from work.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Aww, I didn't get a free starter edition and I participated in the public stress test. Oh well. I picked up my preorder already and will be installing it when I get home from work.

Me neither, but you're not missing much really. It's the same content limit(up to the Skeleton King in Act 1).

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

One thing I can say for certain, after downloading the whole thing, is that their downloader is a horribly designed piece of shit. :P Sure, it works, but after downloading everything it just sits there for 10-15 minutes saying "downloading", while it's actually assembling a .part file into an .mpqe in the background (which are 3-5 GBs in size, hence it takes forever, unless you're one of those lucky people with an SSD drive :P). Then, it says "finished downloading" while again not providing any kind of progress bar, while it begins to process the second .part file. Finally, it launches the installer.

Really, asking for a progress bar on an operation that can take up to 20 minutes is not too much, is it?

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Under Wine and with an SSD assembling the installation took only a few seconds 8-) However I can't login, not sure if it's because of Wine or because the login servers are still overloaded.

Seeing just the login screen, I like how they have a "Fullscreen Window" option, which does just the same as the one in Allegro 5 :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

So someone already beat the game on Normal. :) I look forward to hearing how the difficulty ramps up over the four settings; if the hardest part was getting past Error 37 and someone has Inferno beat by late next week, I will be somewhat disappointed. :)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

after downloading everything it just sits there for 10-15 minutes saying "downloading", while it's actually assembling a .part file into an .mpqe in the background

Yeah, the first time I downloaded it I just closed it thinking it had finished. Then yesterday when I tried to install it, the installer would give an error about not being able to read the DVD (WTF?, what DVD? ::)). After some googling I found I shouldn't have any file ending in ".part", and that I needed to download it from scratch again :P.

Elias said:

I like how they have a "Fullscreen Window" option, which does just the same as the one in Allegro 5

Quite a few games have that option. It's specially common in MMO's. It has the benefit of fast alt-tabing (something you so frequently in MMO's), but worse performance. I personally don't like it, though, because the game doesn't actually minimize, it remains there in the desktop running.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

12 years in development and all they can muster is 12 hours of gameplay (and I wouldn't count replaying the same game but harder as something different) ::)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

You can probably get through Diablo 2's normal mode in half of that. :P (Expansion included)

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Still, it's better than StarCraft 2 where they only give you half a game and charge full price to buy/play as the other races :P

Neil.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Quote:

Seeing just the login screen, I like how they have a "Fullscreen Window" option, which does just the same as the one in Allegro 5

Quite a few games have that option. It's specially common in MMO's. It has the benefit of fast alt-tabing (something you so frequently in MMO's), but worse performance. I personally don't like it, though, because the game doesn't actually minimize, it remains there in the desktop running.

I don't get it... :-/ I'm making my current game to be monitor independent and I'm using the ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN flag, I can minimize it, and open it again and it's pretty fast, faster than when changing the native resolution of the monitor. But I want to add a ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW so people can reduce/increase its size on windowed mode too... I don't get the part "I personally don't like it, though, because the game doesn't actually minimize, it remains there in the desktop running." what do you mean?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

How should your player appear to the other players (online) if your instance didn't keep running? Should your avatar just freeze and become invincible?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I don't get the part "I personally don't like it, though, because the game doesn't actually minimize, it remains there in the desktop running." what do you mean?

The game's still playing when it's not in focus. They actually provide you a max FPS slider for when it's on the background tho.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Arthur Kalliokoski: what? being minimized doesn't mean it's not running (but it means it's not eating GPU resources, and CPU usage is generally low).

I don't get the part "I personally don't like it, though, because the game doesn't actually minimize, it remains there in the desktop running." what do you mean?

If I set windowed fullscreen in games that have such option, pressing alt-tab doesn't minimize the game, it just brings another windows to the front, and the game remains in fullscreen in the background. I don't like that behaviour.

1   2   3   4 

Go to: