Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » April Fools 2012

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
April Fools 2012
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Richard Branson and Virgin Holidays launch new currency.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Reddit has too much time to figure out what xkcd has.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red | +Me
If it doesn't resolve the issue, we'll evaluate whether the latest round of anti-speculative-execution patches we've had to apply could somehow be responsible. (The performance impact of this fix is estimated to be just a couple of percent, but a banana on a football field isn't even that much and yet woe unto the quarterback who steps on it.) Gonna have to start looking at AMD CPUs. ~Owner of Nearly Free Speech.net

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I was just egosurfing a bit and came across this gem.

"Join Now & View the Full Arthur Kalliokoski Profile
Arthur E Kalliokoski was born in 1957. Arthur currently lives in Jacksonville, North Carolina. Before that, Arthur lived in Jacksonville, NC from 2009 to 2009. Before that, Arthur lived in Jacksonville, NC from 2001 to 2001."

http://www.mylife.com/c-1319238021

Somehow I don't think it's related to the date.

“Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty. This is known as "bad luck.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

XKCD display different comics based on your browser, OS?, and location. Firefox Windows 7 Michigan, I get a comic about some girl from California saying the Michigan guy is not that tough because of a simple earthquake, but come winter, the girl is whining like a baby.

Heh, I get a comic that mentions Hockey, the CBC, the northern lights, and clouds.

Interesting. :) I seem to get the same ones as Thomas (I'm running Fedora ATM so I only checked Firefox and Chrome though). I thought it was somewhat odd that one was Canadian themed, but assumed it was just a coincidence. Hopefully somebody goes to the trouble to centralize them all so we can easily enjoy all of the worlds. :D

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I was just egosurfing a bit and came across this gem.

Has anyone else out of complete boredom googled your own name? Apparently Clayton Weaver is more common that I thought. It's freaky really (don't know if it is an April Fool's day thing though).

"Can't a man even talk to himself without being interrupted?" -Krull(1983)
"Through vengence I was born. Through war I was trained. Through love I was found. Through death I was released. Through release I was given a purpose." -- Specter Phoenix
"Programming == AWESOME the rest is just tools to accomplish it."
END OF LINE

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

Hopefully somebody goes to the trouble to centralize them all so we can easily enjoy all of the worlds.

reddit to the rescue

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Reddit is ugly. :-X I hate trying to follow threads there. In any case, somebody should inline all the images so you don't have to click 20 times. >:(

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

bamccaig said:

In any case, somebody should inline all the images so you don't have to click 20 times.

Somebody has done pretty much exactly that. Only the other way around.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You don't have to follow that thread. Its all in the first bloody post :P

--

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

bamccaig said:

In any case, somebody should inline all the images so you don't have to click 20 times.

There is something called the Reddit Enhancement Suite that does just that. I've never used it before but saw it mentioned in that same reddit thread.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It just adds to the overload the entire site suffers every couple days if not more. You'd think a major publisher could afford a decent server farm.

“Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty. This is known as "bad luck.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It just adds to the overload the entire site suffers every couple days if not more. You'd think a major publisher could afford a decent server farm.

They are hosted on Amazon's Cloud afaik.

--

1   2 

Go to: