Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » 3D forum: talk, don't write.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
3D forum: talk, don't write.
AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Hey! In this lesson we're going to pronounce names. media player ;D;D

Try to understand what I say when speacking English in real time. :o

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Tomasu Hellstorm! 8-)

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I understood what you said just fine :)

But I still prefer typing ;)

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

Your pronunciation is sometimes a bit strange.
But I could understand you perfectly.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

As others have said, you are certainly understandable. Some of your vowel sounds are a bit off, but not so much that you can't be understood.

The surname's that you have trouble with - Kalliokoski and Fjellstrom are not of English origin, which why you may be having trouble with them. I'm sure Thomas and Arthur have a better sense of their origin, but I'm pretty certain that Fjellstrom is a Swedish name and to me Kalliokoski sounds either eastern European or perhaps Finnish.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Your English is perfectly understandable. Yes, the vowels are slightly off, but even native English speaking people use very different vowel sounds. For example, in my rural Midwestern accent, the following words have the same vowel sound: bag, egg. I would say "progress" like "prah-gress", where others would say "proh-gress" (long sound). And so on.

But you messed up my last name, and that is not forgivable. >:(

media player

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

media player

:o

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Nice to meet you James Bond & MS Marry.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

LennyLen said:

I'm pretty certain that Fjellstrom is a Swedish name

Yup. In sweedish I'm told the j makes it sound like "Fee-yell" at least sorta. And the o really should have an umlaut on it, and the r should probably be rolled a bit. But we do none of that! Three generations of canadians really couldn't care less about the proper pronunciation. We just say Fell-strom. Silent j, no rolled r, and no umlaut.

Besides it's not even the families original name. Apparently my great (great?) grandfather (the one that immigrated over) changed his name at the border to Fjellstrom from Larsson.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

My talking skills aren't great and the slang that I've picked up from rap and shit don't work for me so well. :-[ You'll probably find it hard to make out a few words here and there... I know I do. :P I meant to say that a native English speaker probably wouldn't be bothered having a conversation with AMCerasoli because he speaks English quite well (though it does seem like a bit of a workout for him at times). In any case, on the recording I think it sounded more like I said it would bother people. :-/

I made some other embarrassing mistakes, I think, but I don't remember what they were. :-/ I can't edit the audio and if I'm talking then I'll probably make a bunch of mistakes or sound muffled anyway no matter how many takes I do... Part of the problem is that I speak too fast at times and fail to enunciate. :o Enjoy! :-[

I attempted to rap at the end of the recording. :o It's a song that I'm not overly familiar with and basically read the lyrics as I spoke them so there are some obvious pauses and mistakes where my rapping outran my ability to read. :-[ I imagine if I practice some more I'll memorize the lyrics and should be able to do better...

media player

(I think the Ogg Vorbis version is too large to be uploaded :()

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Perfect opportunity to play with the microphone on my macbook.

Here's how I pronounce Thomas Fjellstrom.
media player

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

media player

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Not clicking on any of those. Don't want to ruin the fantasy of these ridiculous voices you all have in my head :P.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Doesnt work so well on my Android tablet browser. Have to keep clearing the memory after listening to a single recording otherwise the browser "locks up" and I cannot browse further or click any links >:(

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I can't seem to get the audio thingee to show up. :-[

Disclaimer: I've had a cold for a month.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

media player

And here's for SiegeLord:
media player

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

media player

Woo.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Very strange hearing everyone's voice -- they are not what I expected.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

media player

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

New one for you. I know it doesn't really sound like him.. but what can you do. I still like making this voice.

media player

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

SiegeLord said:

Not clicking on any of those. Don't want to ruin the fantasy of these ridiculous voices you all have in my head .

Very strange hearing everyone's voice -- they are not what I expected.

You make up voices in your head? Sounds crazy. :-/

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

AMCerasoli: I can understand you just fine. You speak English very well. :)
bamccaig: I had to turn my speakers all the way up to hear your recording. Then of course I forgot to turn them back down for the audio clip, and now my ears are bleeding. So, thanks for that... >:(

Oh, and I'd share my voice, but I was born without head so I can't speak. Sorrry.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

You make up voices in your head? Sounds crazy.

AFAIK, many people think by having a 'monologue' inside their heads.
I believe it's called 'internal monologue'.
Many also read this way.

But it seems like an unnecessary step that only makes your thought process slower.

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

taron  said:

AFAIK, many people think by having a 'monologue' inside their heads.
I believe it's called 'internal monologue'.
Many also read this way.

I do that, but there's a difference between thinking with an internal voice, and thinking with a different internal voice depending on the source of the words you are thinking.

However, I'd think that subvocalization is a more fitting concept to apply here, as it's specifically the act of reading using an internal voice. And using a different voice depending on who's words you are reading is definitely something that I do, although I usually only bother to do that when I'm reading novels.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Wow, well I can't answer to everyone using my voice, it was a little bit difficult to say all what I said whitout too many errors, it's not something that comes out naturally, maybe with more practice, but speacking in real time is a little bit hard right now. Besides now there are some people here and I'll sound like a crazy ;D.

So I have just answered to Matthew and Bamcaing.

@Matt media player

@Bam media player

I want to answer Miquel but I'll do it tomorrow. Nice to hear you guys :)

1   2   3   4 

Go to: