Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » super computer

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
super computer
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I just put together a new computer and it boots up faster than my monitor can set the screen mode. >:(

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I just put together a new computer and it boots up faster than my monitor can set the screen mode. >:(

Heh. My desktop comes close. But it spends way too much time in its own bios for that to happen >:(

I have a hunch if my laptop had a fast SSD it would boot up in a few seconds. Not long enough to catch the LCD off guard.. but probably the big old 21" CRT I have if it was plugged in.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Yeah, this is Quad Core i7 2600k / 16gb RAM / SSD on a fresh XUbuntu install.

After the BIOS junk is done the LCD monitor flashes, and by the time it sets the screen mode, the login prompt is waiting. If I had it auto-login, it'd probably already be at the desktop.

I put a huge CPU fan/heatsink on it. Doesn't even make a sound with the case closed. I will miss the hum of my old box. :'(

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

That sounds like a beast. My computer has been running really slow lately. Until I realized that both my OS X and Windows partitions had about 1GB of free disk space left, and deleted all the stuff I had on here temporarily while I backed up an external drive.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

My QX6600 doesn't even have a fan on it \o/

It does however have a MASSIVE tower heatsink with some slow and quiet 120mm fans behind/above it (rear system fan and psu fan).

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I got one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103100

It's bigger than it looks in the pictures.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

This is more or less mine: http://www.silenx.com/cpu.coolers.asp?sku=efz-120ha4

Also bigger than it looks. (thats what she said?)

append: It's actually the SilenX IXC-120HA2, but I can't find their product page or accurate measurements of just the heatsink, but they look close.

--

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Super computer with no graphic card?... Don't think so... :P

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I'm using the on-board video since I don't play games on my computer.

It actually comes with VGA, DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort ports. As long as I can use two of them at a time (not tested yet), I won't need a dedicated graphics card.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I'd bet two at a minimum will work. It looks like the z68 can do 2 outputs for sure.

--

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I imagine you've got some kind of Intel H67 or P67 or z67 chipset? that supports multi-monitors so if your motherboard has got the connections it should be ok.

I've got an asus p8h67 and it's lovely, but it won't work in linux as you can't get realtek drivers for the onboard sound (I think).

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I have something like Thomas on my CPU. I think it's this one.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

16gBs of ram wow its time for me to get a new computer.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I imagine you've got some kind of Intel H67 or P67 or z67 chipset?

z68. The extent of my research was to sort by most popular motherboard within the price range I wanted.

HDMI and DVI worked together. Had to use xrandr to set them up since XUbuntu's display config is lacking.

It builds the full set of Allegro 5.1 libs in eight seconds. :'(

It was nice to finally build a computer that has no external drives. I have no use for CD/DVDs. Even my TV can directly stream movies off my Linux file server via WiFi.

REVISION: And I got a modular power supply. It's nice only having one power cable (three SATAs connectors). No cable clutter.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It builds the full set of Allegro 5.1 libs in eight seconds.

I remember being so proud of my 100Mz 486DX4 with 16Mb memory that could compile Allegro 3.12 in only 40 minutes!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

looking at getting this one ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

now it's time to compile gentoo

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

I hate obamanomics. I cant afford shit. I have to envy Matthew now.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

That integrated GPU probably has enough guts to run a large percentage of the games out there that aren't performance hogs and/or really need it, anyway.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

now it's time to compile gentoo

I would probably need an entire computer farm to do that. :-/

That integrated GPU probably has enough guts to run a large percentage of the games out there that aren't performance hogs and/or really need it, anyway.

I think it's pretty much equivalent to the 9400 (?) I was previously using. But it doesn't really matter.

The only card I have in it is a PCI express wifi card, which surprisingly works great on Linux with no extra drivers needed.

Only thing I have left to do is put in one of my 500gb drives from my old computer and mount it up as /home. Then I will toss the old guy in the trash. :'(

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

16GB RAM? :o who really needs that much memory? ... render farms, that's the only thing I can think of.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

It's future proof for a while now. I have 6GB in my laptop and sometimes use almost all of it with 5 vms loaded at once.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Yeah, I like to run VMs. But I use VMs on the macmini more, since I miss Linux. That's what prompted me to finally upgrade my aging PC. XUbuntu was faster on the macmini via a VM than it was on my workstation.

I also use RAM for /tmp, including downloading files from the net. (Otherwise they tend to accumulate over time...)

The cost difference was $40 between 8 and 16. I wasn't sure how my giant heatsink would sit. I thought I might have to orient it over top of the RAM sockets, which would have meant the only way to add more RAM in the future would be to take out the motherboard from the case, remove the heatsink, blah blah, and put it back together.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I bought a usb wifi dongle recently and it also just works in Linux. The problem is, and it's not specific to Linux, I only get 1-2MB/s off it and it's an n adapter. When I had the computer connected with a cable I was getting 7-8MB/s from my laptop over wifi. So the laptop and router are capable of it, so I can only assume either the USB port is gimped (I noticed I got half speed whe using the adapter and writing to a USB disk), or the adapter is just slow.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I recently bought a usb2 802.11n adapter, and it seems to be slower than my laptop's integrated 802.11g adapter. It doesn't want to connect at n speeds at all, but even then its still slower than the built in adapter.

--

1   2   3 

Go to: