Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » super computer

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
super computer
type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Yeah, I know. It literally doesn't explain how does 10600 become 1333 Though :-/

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

DDR3 has a 4x multiplier, and transfers data at the leading and falling edge of the clock. Base clock is 1333, (ideal) effective clock is 10664 (1333*8). Though memory rarely runs at exactly the spec (often times it can't, they just pick a close enough number for marketing purposes).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Thanks.

wiki said:

Thus with a memory clock frequency of 100 MHz, DDR3 SDRAM gives a maximum transfer rate of 6400 MB/s. In addition, the DDR3 standard permits chip capacities of up to 8 gigabytes.

Wot? So theoretical limit of ML's ram data transfer speed is 13.33 x 6.4GB/s? That's nonsense. What did I miss? :)

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

My primary drive crashed recently, but your computer sounds interesting. That bit about the computer booting before the screen is drawn reminds me of something I read in Mad magazine. Mad was spoofing Star Wars, and in a battle scene, one pilot commented his ship could travel twice the speed of light, while the guns fired at the speed of light. He wound up shooting himself down. Don't shoot yourself down ML.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Bob Keane said:

one pilot was commented his ship could travel twice the speed of light, while the guns fired at the speed of light.

Old joke around the time the Concord SST was coming out:
Two women boarding the Concord see the pilot and tell him "Please don't go faster than the speed of sound, we want to talk".

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Bob Keane said:

Don't shoot yourself down ML.

I'm safe. Adding the regular 7200 RPM drive as /home slowed down the boot enough that I can briefly see a loading screen.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Heh, yeah, my desktop has a 30G Vertex SSD as / and a 640G as /home (iirc? could be 320G, tbh I can't rememeber now :O)

It boots pretty quick but having /home as a hdd really slows down the desktop loading as KDE does a lot of IO reading config files and whatnot.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

My desktop has a 64 GB SSD and a 500 GB HDD. The HDD isn't big enough though, with all of the Steam games that I inevitably want to install, so I run out of space. Also, Windows wastes a ton of space, even just with the core system. I think this time I'm going to install a GNU+Linux distro entirely onto the SSD and put Windows on a 100 GB partition at the end of the HDD. Then I'll just try to emphasize using Windows only for gaming and booting back into GNU+Linux when I'm not. I'll try to get as many games running in Wine as possible. :-/

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I told you not to dual boot on an SSD. >:(

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

I have a raid 1 with 2 disks, I get about 60 megabytes/second..

Other than that, last month I went cheap and got myself a quad core amd processor with 8 gigs of ram, does the trick, running two VMs at once.

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I have a raid 1 with 2 disks, I get about 60 megabytes/second..

Are these 40GB drives? I have a raid1 with 2 disks in my home server. It's pretty darn speedy, and its only linux software raid1. I'd guess it's somewhere around 100MB/s.

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I told you not to dual boot on an SSD. >:(

I told him 64GB wasn't big enough. >:(

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Are these 40GB drives? I have a raid1 with 2 disks in my home server. It's pretty darn speedy, and its only linux software raid1. I'd guess it's somewhere around 100MB/s.

1 TB. Old fashion mechanical SATA drives 7200 RPM, Windows 7.

For some reason Linux just didnt work out, on Ubuntu my ethernet card would drop 50% of packets and on Fedora KDE would crash at start, I'll look into it later but for now i'm doing my dev work under a linux VM.

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

1 TB. Old fashion mechanical SATA drives 7200 RPM, Windows 7.

All of the 1TB Seagates I have get me 110-120MB/s. You're clearly doing something wrong ;)

My server's raid1 is a pair of single platter 500G drives. Which means theres no way for the drive to speed things up by interleaving access between platters. So they are slower than larger drives. And still they get 90-100MB/s.

Quote:

For some reason Linux just didnt work out, on Ubuntu my ethernet card would drop 50% of packets and on Fedora KDE would crash at start, I'll look into it later but for now i'm doing my dev work under a linux VM.

I can only assume something is wrong with your computer.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

root@fractal:~ 10:26 AM # ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
          inet addr:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  Bcast:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: xxxx::xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx/xx Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:1656528 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2270064 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1469828079 (1.3 GiB)  TX bytes:2143319008 (1.9 GiB)
          Interrupt:43 Base address:0x4000

I don't know how fast the hard disks are, but the only time it's aggravating is when cron fires up slocate at 4 a.m.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

{"name":"605585","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/7\/a7f8316039c2d82b84dc10961d990a32.png","w":1770,"h":197,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/7\/a7f8316039c2d82b84dc10961d990a32"}605585

Running a virtual machine under Windows 7 with eight monitors. :-/

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Do your lines ever wrap?

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Not even line 7 wraps. :'(

Actually it wasn't as epic as the picture looks as you can see that it was duplicating some of the display among screens as XRandR was freaking out after seven monitors.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Heh, it looks like they are all overlapping quite a lot.

--

1   2   3 

Go to: