Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » super computer

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
super computer
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I run my router at G because N never worked right for me on Linux.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Yeah, this is Quad Core i7 2600k / 16gb RAM / SSD on a fresh XUbuntu install.

Sounds similar to mine (well, I don't have XUbuntu and I have a regular HDD for /home in addition to an SDD for almost everything else; I'm considering moving /var over to the normal HDD as well).
Yes, it's pleasantly fast and quiet. The bad thing is you grow used to that sort of thing very quickly. I was shocked when I booted up my old box to get old files from it. It sounded like a jet engine.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Evert said:

well, I don't have XUbuntu and I have a regular HDD for /home in addition t

I put /home on a 500 GB drive.

And today I noticed my 1TB Windows drive is dead, and my left speaker port doesn't work. >:(

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I put /home on a 500 GB drive.

Ok, that's similar to mine.

Quote:

And today I noticed my 1TB Windows drive is dead, and my left speaker port doesn't work.

Then again, I don't have a Windows drive. I actually have no idea whether the speakers work or not. I realised a couple of weeks ago that I never bothered to setup the audio. Since I don't use the system for anything that requires it I'm not actually in a hurry to change that.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

One of my 500GB drives was dead too. I think my old computer was eating them. >:(

I assumed it was bad, since I was having lots of problems when I tried to run RAID5.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

The cost difference was $40 between 8 and 16.

Just that single line turns off all my envy ;D
I'm guessing it's 1600Mhz.

Append:
What's the SSD?

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

My new GPU turned out to be so big for my outdated motherboard that it blocks a SATA port, and I'm only left with one now. :(

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

type568 said:

I'm guessing it's 1600Mhz.

I meant to, but now I see I accidentally selected 10600. ::)

I could return it, but whatever...

Quote:

What's the SSD?

80 GB Intel drive.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Did you get the i7 seperately or as part of a bundle ?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I bought all the components individually.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Those intel SSDs are some of the slowest out there. I've seen benchmarks and reviews not getting much more speed out of them than a WD Raptor drive.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Quote:

You mean 1067Mhz? o.0
Such a CPU deserves double of that.

What model SSD? (Heh $$$....)

Append:

I've seen benchmarks and reviews not getting much more speed out of them than a WD Raptor drive.

Random Access. My Raid0 beats some SSD performance-wise as well.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I got room for 4 * 8GB on the motherboard I bought. Perhaps it time I got the other 2 sticks.

Is that partly why it boots so fast ?

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

It boots so fast mainly because of the SSD.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

type568 said:

You mean 1067Mhz? o.0

10600 = 1333

Those intel SSDs are some of the slowest out there.

The one I got ($150 retail, but $60 after rebates) has excellent reliability rankings. I already put one of them in my laptop, and speeds are incredible compared to any traditional hard drive I've ever used. Yes, they are slower than many of the OCZ drives, but reviews are flooded with people complaining about those crashing after six or twelve months.

The Intel SSD did have a bad bug with an older firmware that nuked drives, but that's since been resolved.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

type568 said:

You mean 1067Mhz? o.0

No, would be 1,333, and for what I have read they're measured in transfers per second (MT/s). I'm not so sure, though.

Quote:

Such a CPU deserves double of that.

Depends on the mother board too. Mine can run a 1,600Mt/s if it's overclocked, for that reason I bought my cards with that speed.

Is that partly why it boots so fast ?

If you already have 8Gb of ram you won't have any speed increase when booting your PC.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The one I got ($150 retail, but $60 after rebates) has excellent reliability rankings. I already put one of them in my laptop, and speeds are incredible compared to any traditional hard drive I've ever used. Yes, they are slower than many of the OCZ drives, but reviews are flooded with people complaining about those crashing after six or twelve months.

The reviews I saw, said that many of the Intell SSDs are only getting 60MB/s and the latency is rather high for an SSD, close to that of a WD Raptor. My Seagate 7200.12's get 110MB/s.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

My read benchmarks on XUbuntu are 280MB/s with 0.1 ms access time.

Edit: For comparison, on the same computer, a 500GB "Green" WD drive gets 80MB/s at 18.1ms.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

type568 said:

My Raid0 beats some SSD performance-wise as well.

I have a RAID 0 SSD at work. Only really slow with that box IO wise is network because the domain controllers are being slow.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

80, 200, 250 GB ssds are just not big enough for me. I have a 750GB WD black in my laptop. The only way I could put an ssd in is to remove the optical drive and buy a ssd bracket for it, but I kind of want to keep my optical drive. When ssds hit 1TB for about $100-200 I'll buy one. See you in 10 years!

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Before using SSD I already had a difference partition for the O.S. So now I have a 32GB SSD only for the O.S, the rest I have it in a normal HHD. You should try, the difference is incredible. What I need to fix now is that I can listen my normal HHD turning on when I need some programs that are stored in there. I think Windows is turning on and off the HHD when needed but this will definitely reduce its life.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I have an 80GB SSD in my laptop, and it's sufficient. But I only have the OS, applications, and a minimal amount of user documents.

With my workstation having a dedicated drive for /home, I'm only using 7.5GB of the SSD.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I started running out of space on my laptop with a 160G drive. Ended up upgrading to a 500GB Hybrid Seagate drive. Its quite nice. Booting, and starting commonly used apps tends to be SSD fast because of the 4GB flash cache on the drive.

I really can't do less than probably 200-250GB on my laptop. I'm basically waiting till SSDs hit $1/GB or less before I can reasonably thing about buying a SSD for my laptop.

--

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Quote:

10600 = 1333

How did this happen?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

type568 said:

How did this happen?

DDR memory runs at a lower actual Hz than the high numbers claim, instead to reach an effective Hz of the higher number, it sends down data multiple times per clock.

--

1   2   3 

Go to: