Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Wow, go allegro:)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Wow, go allegro:)
Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

This is an English forum, not English slang forum.

If you want to make a thread in a foreign language, please indicate it in the thread title. "[English slang] Wow, go allegro:)"
For most languages it's enough to just have the title written in that language though.

It's mostly small deviations from English that people try to correct though. If a member constantly writes crazy on a massive level, nobody tries to correct you, you'll just be made fun of instead.

Being made fun of is a big part of the culture here.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Haven't any of you read the text with lower half chopped off or letters missing or rearranged? You can still read it. Reading some text with a few spelling and grammar errors IS NOT AS HARD AS YOU'RE MAKING IT OUT TO BE.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Irrelevant statement and exaggerated example. Thanks.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Being anal as some here is at least as bad as what they are complaining about (if not worse).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Similar to coding conventions, it's not about one set of rules being better than another; it's about using the same ones. It's must more pleasant to read through a forum post when everybody is speaking the same language with the same basic grammar and spelling.

And it's annoying to communicate with somebody so immature that he refuses to adhere to simple spelling and grammar rules of which he is well aware.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

For me, it irritates me because it shows laziness and a lack of care. You would not write to your boss like that would you?

Quote:

hey boss

i filed the reports like u wanted

so when can i expect ur banking statemints???

anyways send em to me when ur done w/ em

thx

I bet you would be fired for writing something like that.

Would you bother to read a book if it was written like that? I'm sure it would cause you to question the quality of the ideas wouldn't it?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It was perfectly relevant, and a perfect example of what his kind of abuse of English leads to.

Yes because a light abuse always leads to a severe one.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

nvm

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

jmasterx said:

Would you bother to read a book if it was written like that? I'm sure it would cause you to question the quality of the ideas wouldn't it?

Which is why I always trust politicians; they always wear a nice suit.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

It was perfectly relevant, and a perfect example of what his kind of abuse of English leads to.

Yes, we shall call you Mr. Perfect from now on.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Admit it: it's just plain fun nagging about spelling and grammar[1]. :P No one is going to die, and -in this case- no one will be misunderstood.
I'll have to admit English isn't my native language. I have similar feelings for my mother tongue. In my language "als" and "dan" are confused (bit like "then" and "than"), and people are using "geinspireerd op" ("inspired on" !!!!%^&!*). The worst part: both[2] these cases are slowly getting tolerated.

References

1. And arguing it is fun too.
  2. There's plenty more. tl;dw
SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

weapon_S said:

The worst part: both these cases are slowly getting tolerated.

They wouldn't be if there was a zero-tolerance policy just like here.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Do I really need to bring up the Nazis [1] to get you people (Well some of you, some others have been reasonable) to realize how absurd you're being?

I don't push my beliefs on you, why are you so keen on doing the same to others?

References

1. Because if I were to believe and behave the same way as you people, I could only come to the conclusion that your behaviour here will lead to you committing mass murder in order to cleanse the earth of people with bad spelling and grammar

--

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

weapon_S said:

Admit it: it's just plain fun nagging about spelling and grammar[1]. :P No one is going to die, and in this case no one will be misunderstood.

It pushes people away and inbreeds the idea pool. A persons ability to use good grammar is not a direct reflection of the value of his ideas.

Case and point, Evert uses only one return carriage between paragraphs and that drives me crazy. >:( It makes his posts harder to read than others. I have to expend extra effort in figuring out where the word-wrap was and where a new idea began. But he's still one of the smartest bastards here.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

A persons ability to use good grammar is not a direct reflection of the value of his ideas.

Person's. As your poor grammar would suggest, you are completely wrong. :-/

Typing "u" for "you" is not about ability. It's about giving a damn. It's about respecting the house rules. There is a very high correlation between a person refusing to use grown-up grammar and a person refusing to listen to grown-up programming advice.

Quote:

It pushes people away

If that's what you call getting banned... :-X

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Typing "u" for "you" is not about ability. It's about giving a damn. It's about respecting the house rules.

It's about not being a fucking dick.

Had people been less asinine about the whole issue, he may have just corrected his mistakes. Instead you ass-hats flamed him, and now he'll likely just spread the news that Allegro users are complete ass-hats and no-one should use Allegro (even the ones that can and do write properly).

That's it. From this point on, I'm demanding that everyone joining #allegro use proper punctuation, spelling and grammar at all times. Anyone caught not following the rules after a couple warnings will be permanently banned. No exceptions (except me, because well damn it, I can).

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

except me, because well damn it, I can

Now that I can respect. 8-)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Now that I can respect.

Thank you. Now I humbly request that you fully enforce your rules. No more leniency. Ban anyone making spelling and grammar mistakes as soon as you catch them.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It pushes people away and inbreeds the idea pool. A person's ability to use good grammar is not a direct reflection of the value of his ideas.

Case and point, Evert uses only one carriage return between paragraphs and that drives me crazy. >:( It makes his posts harder to read than others. I have to expend extra effort in figuring out where the word-wrap was and where a new idea began. But he's still one of the most intelligent bastards here.

FYFY. Nobody has trouble saying "you" instead of "u". It's blatant laziness. They expect you to take the time to help them with their problems, or listen to their ideas, but they're too lazy to even type a word completely. Fuck that. I agree with gnolam. There is no need to save characters or key-presses here (e.g., dire shortage of time, storage, or bandwidth). Everyone should take the time to write to the best of their ability.

Wikipedia said:

Internet slang shortcuts save time for the writer but take two times as long for the reader to understand, according to a study by psychologist Nenagh Kemp at the University of Tasmania.[1]

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

It's about respecting the house rules.

This is probably the more compelling argument. However, the problem I have is this general effect:

OP: "Hey guys! :) Wow, allegro has come a long way! You guys are great! yay!"
response: "RRRAAAGGEEE!!! >:(>:(>:("

All of this is because the guy didn't know to wear the right color tie. We need to throw softer errors.

Quote:

Person's.

You didn't catch the other 2 typos I fixed. :-/

[quote]

bamccaig said:

FYFY.

Oh look at that! ;D Bam found the errors you missed, Matthew! :o:o

--

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

You didn't catch the other 2 typos I fixed.

You can't escape the post revisions, you criminal scum! >:(

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

{"name":"605362","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/8\/e89d4adcc0ebb8412095ff9ce6efe313.png","w":678,"h":353,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/8\/e89d4adcc0ebb8412095ff9ce6efe313"}605362
But 'cha didn't catch that one there didjah!? :o;D:o

--

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

You know, I completely forgot swear words are censored here.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Go to: