Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Wow, go allegro:)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Wow, go allegro:)
Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I misspelled the name of the company on my cover letter/resume (I thought my buddy said Convergence; it was actually Convergys). Still hired.

That's nice. Fact remains, a letter stuffed with spelling mistakes (and no, one doesn't count as such) leaves a poorer impression than a letter without, especially if it makes the letter harder to read. Avoid spelling mistakes when you can (it doesn't hurt to avoid them) but don't lose too much sleep over them either (they probably don't hurt that much.

The biggest offense of these whole debacles is that good people with good ideas are harassed based on hardline values of a less-relevant metric. Good grammar is a nice attribute, but good ideas are much more important.

Good ideas are worthless if you are unable to communicate them in a way that other people can understand though. It is in your own interest to communicate with people in a way that makes it easier for them to understand what you're saying. Obviously you change how you express yourself depending on your target audience.

I do wish people wouldn't use leet, chat, irc, lolspeak when talking to me.

Well, quite.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Evert said:

Good ideas are worthless if you are unable to communicate them in a way that other people can understand though.

That should really be a thread finisher, but it won't be. I, for one, have made that so.

Can everyone just stop spelling wrong and making grammar mistakes for the love of Yu Yevon.

Balls.

8-)

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Evert said:

Good ideas are worthless if you are unable to communicate them in a way that other people can understand though.

Why do people need to understand "though" ???

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Dizzy Egg said:

That should really be a thread finisher, but it won't be. I, for one, have made that so.

But there's been next to no discussion about the original topic. :P

In other news, I just converted to the Win 7 crowd. :o (with my first non-pirate copy as well!)

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Dario ff said:

In other news, I just converted to the Win 7 crowd. :o

Wait. For real? Why?

I've been thinking about switching to Ubuntu. The only thing keeping me back are all the Adobe products. :(

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Wait. For real? Why?

New GPU has DX11 support. Also been wanting to do the switch to 64 bit for a while, since I might upgrade reeaally soon to 8 GB DDR3 to be stocked for a good time. 2 GB just won't cut it for Firefox + MVSC + Photoshop + the occassional game/software test. And besides, DDR3 ram is dirty cheap :P. The windows user index experience thingy even marks RAM as my lowest subscore(I was expecting Hard drive to show up there instead).

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I like 7, but am nervous of 8. And seeing as 7 ate 9, I think I'll wait. For 10. Ahem.

Edit:

Err, I put 9 instead of 10, but then again, this thread is based on...no it isn't is it...err...the new Dizzy game is out soon! ;D :D :) :-/

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I'd pick whichever was submitted by a girl :-*

Smart move. You're less likely to get sued for sexism. ;D

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Bernardo Lopes
Member #510
July 2000

Proper written American English is easy to pickup, including for western non-natives... No harm done to the community IMHO.

Try some agglutinative language or even Brazilian Portuguese... That would be OK to be lenient.

I believe that post content should be in balance with proper grammar spelling in any native English language forum.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Proper written American English is easy to pick up

FTFY :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

No harm done to the community IMHO

You deliberately offend us. >:(

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

"Proper written American English" is different from "properly written American English."

In this world where people make up their own rules, how can one know what was meant? :-/

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Evert said:

You can make spelling and grammar mistakes and (usually) still be understood. There's "I don't understand what you're saying", and then there's "you missed a comma and triggered my ponce subroutine."

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Let's repeat the arguments again. I forgot what was on page 2.

Bernardo Lopes
Member #510
July 2000

Didn't know I had to use "pick up" and "properly" on those sentences.

I feel glad to be corrected so I can refine my written English. That was the point.

Edit:

Sorry Mark, but I didn't understand your meaning.

I'm not trying to be offensive in any way. Specially (or especially ???) to you, whose efforts on indie and commercial music I admire.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

In this world where people make up their own rules

No need to resort to hyperbole.

The missing element is patience and tolerance. If you want a group of people to behave a particular way (use the right grammar), the quick snap of a billy club is very effective. But over time, that style of leadership erodes and the community becomes exacerbated as that negative sentiment permeates. People talk about it outside the forums. The general mood sours as people feel less welcome, less wiling to contribute.

Using correct grammar as a mechanism to divert, deflect, and derail is not good. When it's used in that way, it's an odd sort of domination tactic - veiled behind the argument "I'm helping you out."

Sorry Mark, but I didn't understand your meaning.

No harm taken at all ;D. I was actually just being sarcastic. :)

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Didn't know I had to use "pick up" and "properly" on those sentences.

It was proper to use proper. Depends on what you meant. Using a comma between adjectives helps.

Properly written English = English that was written properly
Proper, written English = proper English that has been written

Quote:

or especially

Especially is better. Usually only children use specially in that case.

Bernardo Lopes
Member #510
July 2000

Ah! Got it now. It should have been "properly" then.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

To elaborate on especially and specially, since this is so much fun in light of Otesses's objections:

Especially is used when the emphasis is on the person. Specially is used when the emphasis is on the object or action.

• I did something specially for you. = I did something in a special way for you.

• I did something especially for you. = I did something just for you.

At least, that's the traditional difference between the two. Children tend to always use specially, and there probably are many people who use them interchangeably.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I wonder how this thread would've been if gnolam hadn't gotten the first reply. Anyone willing to imagine the alternate version? :o

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Dario ff said:

I wonder how this thread would've been if gnolam hadn't gotten the first reply. Anyone willing to imagine the alternate version? :o

Probably something like the "Fruit Clear" one.

--

Bernardo Lopes
Member #510
July 2000

He would probably have gotten the second reply. :P

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Dario ff said:

the alternate version

As opposed to the alternative version? I'm not sure what you mean.

Alternate => every other (i.e., alternating)
Alternative => a different possibility

I'm confused. ???

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Matthew, what you describe is definitely true for British English, but I thought "alternate" meaning "a different possibility" was valid in American English. In fact, Anne Robinson of The Weakest Link would always say "I'll ask alternate questions", until she did an American version, in which it was "alternating questions".

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

You are not mistaken. The word has lost its meaning in America. >:(

Go to: