Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Wow, go allegro:)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Wow, go allegro:)
Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Neil, you could also have said that my English has improved during the time I spent here

Your English sucks, try 'during the time I have been here' :P

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

{"name":"20111231.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/d\/ed2fbd7d122c7dd22bd4005c035857f5.gif","w":576,"h":2668,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/d\/ed2fbd7d122c7dd22bd4005c035857f5"}20111231.gif
(From SMBC)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Dizzy Egg said:

People at work keep asking about certain 'programmes' that I'm working on.

Do they also use Internet shorthand such as "btw" and "thx" but write it in capitals?

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Now I think about it, not so much. Actually there's not a lot of acronyms going on, my main gripe is programme!

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Only yesterday I wrote IIRC on a.cc. Shame on me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

FACK

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

It's highly recommended to skip those practice games. Those maps are different that the real ones (they have barriers to prevent rushes) and are played slowly, which leads to bad playing habits you later will need to "unlearn".

Hm, good point but I think I'll use every chance I can get to win before I will keep getting my arse handed to myself against the pros.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

IIRC? I didn't see you in IRC. Although lately a few people from here came to #allegro who aren't usually there.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly. != Internet Relay Chat.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

IIRC...Internet Relay Chat only takes care of IRC. The leading I must be Intelligent Internet Relay Chat then ;) :P .

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

/reads thread

Wow, go Allegro.CC. ::)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Isänmaallinen Internet Relay Chat

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

/reads thread

Wow, go Allegro.CC.

Yeah, we are great. If you look at the first post it comes across at points as insincere. At points he seemed like he was goading us into a fight with him.

YawnGG said:

i left the community speaking of the speed of opengl, on these forums under some other username.

Yet he couldn't remember his old account or password to log in under it?

Quote:

To the people who put "allegro 5 makes u angry" on the recent vote your crazy or lazy!

That is self explanatory. He is insulting those who didn't like A5 just for their opinion which will make almost anyone start fighting.

YawnGG said:

tbh i have no intentions of staying, i find clanlib way better, i just wanted to give a kudos.. but you guys are apparently all anal... gluck.

Can't think of any time where I gave kudos and insulted the users in the same post. Sad that we were hung up on grammar, but I can't believe that was just a "pat on the back" thread. I mean if he was part of this thread before then he would have known that grammar was a big thing and proper grammar was expected. Yet he posted a 'kudos' thread using poor grammar and then proceeded to argue about it. Almost every forum I ever posted to required proper grammar and don't know if clanlib does, but all those things add up to trolling to me. Apparently, if it was just some idiot trolling and looking for a rise, then I would have to say we all fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

For every Grammar Nazi, there are two dozen Red Grammar Guards.

I think it's great allecro.cc'rs are "hung up" on grammar. If someone told you they were going to go play "basketbell", you would probably say something, right? And yet, it's just fine to say "id rather go to the store than ill go to work" online. Bell ball then than, what's the difference, right?

All we want is for people to live up to a grade school standard. If you can't do that effortlessly, you need to improve your grammar, spelling, or typing skills.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

All we want is for people to live up to a grade school standard. If you can't do that effortlessly, you need to improve your grammar, spelling, or typing skills.

You hit the nail! Now let's close this thread.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

If you can't do that effortlessly, you need to improve your grammar, spelling, or typing skills.

::)

My mom has a doctorate and teaches English.

She sends me emails and messages all the time with typos, misspelled things, missing punctuation, and the occasional cutesy abbreviation. If she wanted, she could do all these things with great precision, but she doesn't have a stick up her ass.

Also, when I was in English class in the thrid grade, I was the kid who constantly raised their hand to answer every question, to the point where I began to ask deeper questions, pulling words like "gerund" and "adjective clause" out of the teacher.

At one point I became aware of the people around me and my teacher, and realized I was just annoying the crap out of everybody.

Some time back, I was producing an album for a singer who, as his day job, was a literature teacher. His position was that the excessively pedantic nature that most instructors take - the absolutist nature of what they teach - hinders the express-ability of the individual, forcing them to express themselves in a mode which only allows for certain types of expression. And I agree.

When you say "If you can't do that effortlessly, you need to improve your grammar, spelling, or typing skills." I disagree wholeheartedly.

It's about the message, the expression, and the content - not the method.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

And if you're deliberately making it hard for people to read your message, you're a dick.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

It's about the message, the expression, and the content - not the method.

Sounds like you're thinking about art, not communicating on a programming forum. ;)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

gnolam said:

And if you're deliberately making it hard for people to read your message, you're .

If you dismiss people's message because they choose to express themselves in a particular way, or because you think they're "sloppy" or "lazy," then you've caused a bigger problem.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

{"name":"ssc20060314_indie.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/5\/752f73b0903db6dddd49cea8981a4eef.gif","w":900,"h":300,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/5\/752f73b0903db6dddd49cea8981a4eef"}ssc20060314_indie.gif

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

If you dismiss people's message because they choose to express themselves in a particular way

I dismiss your message because you are crazy. :-/

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

If you dismiss people's message because they choose to express themselves in a particular way, or because you think they're "sloppy" or "lazy," then you've caused a bigger problem.

So you're saying if I'm too lazy to make sure my résumé has no spelling or grammatical errors I should still be considered for the job?

It's the same reason that when speaking publicly, there is a certain etiquette expected that differs from a cat with your friends.

You wouldn't speak in public and say:

Quote:

So like, the fourth quarter was total ****. We like need to try n address the debt in a way that's cool with all the investors n stuff.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

jmasterx said:

So you're saying if I'm too lazy to make sure my résumé has no spelling or grammatical errors I should still be considered for the job?

Fun fact: the tech support job I had previous to my current job, I misspelled the name of the company on my cover letter/resume (I thought my buddy said Convergence; it was actually Convergys). Still hired. So, yeah.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Fun fact: the tech support job I had previous to my current job, I misspelled the name of the company on my cover letter/resume (I thought my buddy said Convergence; it was actually Convergys). Still hired. So, yeah.

Every presentation I have ever sat in about IT careers where there was advice on getting a job, the presenter made it clear that one of the criteria for tossing a CV was a misspelling.

Go to: