Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SantaHack 2011

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SantaHack 2011
BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

With Jakub MIA and no word on ChristmasHack, I've decided to create SantaHack to carry on the tradition.

The site is just something I threw together in a few hours (major shout out to Mark Oates for doing the graphics/design work), so let me know if you have any issues. There is still some tweaking and work to be done on the site, but it should be more than functional enough right now for registration.

Registration will begin tomorrow. Please be sure to get all set up and get your wishlist/preferences in before the voting phase begins.

Once registration opens, you'll be able to join and withdraw (on the participants page). You will need to log in with your Allegro.cc account to use the site (just click the login button, and a.cc will handle the rest) - no registration necessary.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions on the site or rules or anything, let me know. I'm open to change.

http://www.santahack.net/

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

:-/ I've been wanting to do a hack event but I won't get a chance.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

gamedev.net doesn't resolve for me. WTF? :o

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

Nice job on the website. Definitely entering :).

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

I haven't even read the rules yet, just wanted to say the site looks pretty :')

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

:D, considering it must be cold up there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

hahahahaha ;D;D

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I wasn't expecting for a *Hack to happen this year since Jakub is no longer able to organize ChristmasHack. And with family coming for Christmas I don't know how much time I'll have to code. But, hey! It's an all new SantaHack! Count me in!.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Hmmmm, I chose to have my final week of holidays on the week after Christmas. :-/ Seems I just missed it. Anyway, I've been wanting to finally code up a simple clone so I'd finally be able to say that I wrote a game. Perhaps this is a good opportunity to try... I'll likely be too demotivated/tired to try, but we'll see. :P

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Can't play, but the site looks cool!

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I'm waiting for the registration to begin, thanks BAF and Mark ^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I'm still going to attempt it :D Just waiting for registration :D

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Nice work on the site. But it seems I'm gonna be busy until the 22nd to start working on something. Damn finals. :(

Still, that leaves me with nearly 2-3 days to work on an entry. Given that I did the Speedhack one in two, I guess I can try. :P

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Ok, so I registered, even if I said I wouldn't. My wishlist is poor, though. Hope I have time to improve it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Registered. First wishlist idea is easy to do, the other 2 are a bit more complex for whoever feels like it.

It's gonna suck to turn my entry from a 7 day development to 3 days, but it'll be fun. Better than sitting around and complaining about not doing anything in the forum. :D

I have a feeling I'll bloat my application with XMLs this time tho... I just came from a project working with pretty much everything using XMLs. :P

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

I'll give this one a shot. I haven't done any game development in years, so this will let me get some experience with Allegro 5. :)

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I'm gonna give it a shot, dunno how much time I'll have to spare though :)

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

The problem with this Hack is that if I don't finish my entry (which is not unlikely) I'll feel quite guilty as I'm (theoretically) getting a present for not doing anything useful :X
PS I think I've made a very similar post to the previous attempt at organizing a ChristmasHack.

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

I just might participate...

But I really suck at developing things in a short time.
Ah well, I'll try.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Well they didn't do one for 2010 so I wonder if he didn't get tired of doing it. Not to mention the old site shows that the numbers started dropping for entrants so he may have just decided it wasn't worth the trouble anymore :(.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

The problem with this Hack is that if I don't finish my entry (which is not unlikely) I'll feel quite guilty as I'm (theoretically) getting a present for not doing anything useful :X

Well, since one of the purposes of these hacks is to provide motivation to finish a game... I think that's a feature, not a bug ;).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

Okay signed up and have set my 3 wishes but not sure if I done them correctly. Off to bed now :D

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I have set my 3 wishes but not sure if I done them correctly.

Well, bambam's first wish was "no globals," so I'm sure yours can be no worse. :-/

Go to: