Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Moai v1.10

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Moai v1.10
Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

I got bored this year and put my previous project on hold just long enough to finish Moai, my attempt at creating a pixel editor to replace Autodesk Animator. I'm happy with how it turned out.

I kept most of the tools, ink, and interface sensibilities from Animator, and filled in the gaps where I added new features. I also streamlined some of the processes related to pixel editing, while cutting out most of the animation features. Some of the latter may make a return in future versions. The cel scaling and rotating bugs are now gone, for example. The editor will import and export graphics in multiple formats (gif,bmp,pcx,png,jpg,lbm), although it automatically promotes everything to 32bpp. Alpha editing isn't present yet, although I suspect that may happen in the near future.

{"name":"moai_sc_01.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/1\/11aedd145ea2d55db7edf6e2f1e4cd27.png","w":320,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/1\/11aedd145ea2d55db7edf6e2f1e4cd27"}moai_sc_01.png
{"name":"moai_sc_02.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/5\/95fac3cba1229d62859e9f50a8a18d8c.png","w":320,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/5\/95fac3cba1229d62859e9f50a8a18d8c"}moai_sc_02.png
{"name":"moai_sc_03.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/1\/f13c83b95cf1f278a8ecda34447469b0.png","w":320,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/1\/f13c83b95cf1f278a8ecda34447469b0"}moai_sc_03.png

Moai is available for Windows in zip and installer form.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

How do we save work ?

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

At drawing screen: Pic, then save

Or you can use the F5 hotkey.

-->

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Is the UI a copy of Animator? It looks vaguely familiar...

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Sirocco said:

I kept most of the tools, ink, and interface sensibilities from Animator, and filled in the gaps where I added new features.

Yup.

-->

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I need a chance to use it before I can comment. Looks great though. How long did it take to make ?

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

I started April 1st and worked on and off in my spare time for about four months getting the program feature complete. After that it was just testing and polish as time allowed. By November, I figured it was bug free and ready for use.

-->

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Is there going to be Linux port?

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

Awesome!

It seems to run flawlessly in Wine (including clipboard copy/paste), btw, but I will need to play with it some more.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Moai v1.2 is now available in zip and installer form.

Please note that this version is incompatible with all previous versions. Don't install over an existing version and expect it to work. Export any frames you wish to keep, and start fresh.

[ CHANGES FROM 1.1 to 1.2 ]

- Optimized spiral tool; less lag when previewing large spirals
- Spirals can be grabbed and repositioned like other shape tools
- GUI sliders have been redesigned to have better contrast and responsiveness
- When saving a JPG, an initial quality preview will display automatically
- New themes added; several existing themes updated
- Fixed GUI bug in JPG quality menu

- User's last settings preserved for the following actions:
- Cel rotation
- JPG quality setting
- Rpoly tool
- Spiral tool

- Several hotkeys fixed
- Color select, brush tip, favorites, ink and brush tool select menus fixed
- User can now enter and exit these menus with their assigned hotkey

-->

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

I really like it, a lot of programming skills over there. I would appreciate a more modern GUI, though.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

I really like it, a lot of programming skills over there. I would appreciate a more modern GUI, though.

Ah, thank you very much!

I'll admit I had quite a time setting up the GUI, specifically because I wanted to preserve as much of Animator's GUI as possible, so people familiar with it could jump right in and get to work. It certainly comes at you from an odd direction, to put it bluntly. I think in time a few things will be streamlined further, but it's unlikely to have any major changes at this point.

I'm contemplating a few additions for v1.3, but that won't crop up this year.

-->

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Wow! This is really impressive...I would like to be able to choose a bigger 'draw' option though...

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Dizzy Egg said:

I would like to be able to choose a bigger 'draw' option though...

If you're looking for a larger brush, click on the white button right beneath the brush color button in the center of the menu. You can select a different brush from there. This affects all non-filled drawing operations as well.

-->

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

you're talented

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Go to: