Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Are news inactive?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Are news inactive?
Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Some weeks ago I send a notice about the release of my Allegro's wrapper but it isn't published. Are news inactive? ???

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

Off-topic: News isn't plural, even though it looks like it is.

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

taron  said:

News isn't plural, even though it looks like it is.

If you mean that I can't send news, you're wrong. I've send almost all Allegro.pas updates and all they where published as news.

-----------------

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Niunio said:

I've send almost all Allegro.pas updates and all they where published as news.

How did you send it, and to where?

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Niunio said:

If you mean that I can't send news, you're wrong. I've send almost all Allegro.pas updates and all they where published as news.

He just meant that "Are news inactive?" is incorrect English. It should be "Is news inactive?".

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

How did you send it, and to where?

I use the "Report News" button at the bottom of the main page.

[off-topic]

He just meant that "Are news inactive?" is incorrect English. It should be "Is news inactive?".

You, the Anglophone people, have a pretty strange language. :P

BTW, I thought that "the news" could be "a set of news", so it's plural. I mean, what's the plural of "news"? ???

-----------------

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Niunio said:

I use the "Report News" button at the bottom of the main page.

I thought that was automatic, like a forum post, but I guess it's moderated. Matthew sometimes lets hist queues slide.

I also think "Is news inactive" is a funny way to say it. Generally you want to add more detail. like "Is the news submission feature working?" or something along those lines.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

News is an uncountable noun. There are lots and lots of them, for example:

water
information
electricity
bread
work*

Niunio said:

BTW, I thought that "the news" could be "a set of news", so it's plural. I mean, what's the plural of "news"?

No, that is wrong. If you want to refer to a finite quantity of an uncountable noun, you must quantify it. For example: "a piece of news", "a bucket of water". Here's another uncountable noun:

Advice. :P

(*) However, works is also correct when referring to work as a countable noun, as in "a work of art" or "multiple works of art".

[edit]

Those were bad examples I suppose, since both water and bread can be used as countable nouns: "let's sail to calmer waters" or "we bake a variety of breads".

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

(*) However, works is also correct when referring to work as a countable noun, as in "a work of art" or "multiple works of art".

Waters is also valid. ie: "The waters of the gulf coast".

--

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Send an email to Matthew Leverton and GullRaDriel, as well as a PM. They are mods. Send them messages at least once a day, this will guarantee a response.

Also bamccaig might be able to help, send him 3-4 messages.

Hope this helps.

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Send an email to Matthew Leverton and GullRaDriel, as well as a PM. They are mods.

Enfoiré va ;-p

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

updated my sig, hope this helps

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Who reads news anyway. Off-Topic is where it all happens.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Thanks to the replies. I'll mail and see what happens. :)

-----------------

Go to: