Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » TR progress.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
TR progress.
AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Hi there,

This is what I have been doing to my project.

video

Wa ya think?? :) I'm very happy with the results so far.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Cool title screen!

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Looks nice.

What did you use for the GUI?.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

My own GUI... I see you're very interested in a GUI library, aren't you?

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Nice... is it a screen saver?

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Hahaha ;D for now, that's what it is. I guess I got exited with the background animation... hohohoho.

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

I want Jugar, not Salir! :)

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Despite the first impression that may give you, isn't an adventure game or something... it's going to be just a questions and answer game, you know, like trivial pursuit.

So if you like those kind of game, I hope when I finish this one, start doing one but with an Allegro 5 database. My game also include different categories so I might include also two categories like Allegro 5, and General Programming, so if you get bored of one of those you can start with the other one, or you can play with both all mixed.

Obviously it's going to depend in how many people will want to contribute with the questions, and if someone is interested in Allegro 4 (E.R) there could be another category too. I have a maximum of 5 categories currently on my game so I guess we could come up with 5 funny categories about the Allegro community.

Like:

"What's the real name of Arthur Kalliokoski?"

a- No one knows
b- Michael kalashnikov
c- AK-47
d- Arthur Kalliokoski

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

"What's the real name of Arthur Kalliokoski?"

My camera batteries would undoubtedly take several hours of charging to post an image of my driver license, but rest assured that's my real name.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

My own GUI... I see you're very interested in a GUI library, aren't you?

I've tried to write my own GUI and I know how hard is to get it right, that's why I'm surprised to see yours working so well. I can see from the video that you have implemented at least text fields, checkboxes and sliders. It also looks nice. I'm really impressed.

Right now, I'm rewriting my GUI code once again and yet it still looks rather primitive when compared to other GUIs posted or demonstrated here in the forums, like Matthew Leverton's or jmasterx's and even though I haven't seen the coding style for your GUI, it also looks nicer than mine.

I want a GUI to use in my projects and even though I could use jmasterx's Agui (as it's the only one officially released for Allegro 5, I think), I still plan to finish my own (somewhat of a personal programming challenge).

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

GUIs are fun to work on. In fact, you must write one before you can advanced to the next level of Allegro.cc membership. :o

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

I've tried to write my own GUI and I know how hard is to get it right

It might also depend on the way you program. For example if you're a procedural programmer, in my opinion creating a GUI could be more difficult than if you were an object oriented programmer.

When I started learning programming even C++ was a very old language, for that reason I started with it, and since then I try to imagine everything in my program as objects.

My windows need to be objects that contain objects inside of it and communicate each others.

Actually in this game I'm doing what I consider a very bad practice(since I started when I was very noob), and it's that I'm so obsessed in objects and the way they communicate each other that if I tell an object the mouse coordinates, then objects that are inside that object need to know about the mouse coordinates from that object, instead of just send a "state" object to all my objects and that's it.

Instead of send the events directly to my objects I'm calling each object function from outside, that's another problem.

In my next games there is a lot of things that I'm going to change. But if I were going to program a GUI I would make use of O.O.P even more.

My greatest objective before getting into threads a lot more, is to end up with a simple linked list container with all the objects inside of it, and an engine controlling all those objects, try to reach the maximum of encapsulation, polymorphic and inheritance.

But if you're going to program a GUI I think you need to separate everything into little objects that are derived from others and make use of inheritance a lot. Windows have lots of things in common, without inheritance you might end up rewriting a lot of things.

But I wouldn't spend much time making a GUI, I have to disagree with Matthew in this, working on a GUI is very boring, I mean, I see GUI everywhere, and once is done... it's just a static box with letters and arrows..., why to create another one? and for me is a waste of programming skills :-X. I would rather create an online action game! ;D

I did one, first because my game per se is too simple, so I wanted to add a little bit of sugar, and secondly because I want to use it as portfolio so a little GUI give you some points... I hope...

Anyway try to separate things in modules and connect them each other, my game currently has just two global variables, if you got more than 15 there is something wrong :o. I'm still being a noob so take this info very carefully :D.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

GUIs are fun to work on. In fact, you must write one before you can advanced to the next level of Allegro.cc membership. :o

... hey I wrote my own GUI, I never got any membership privileges. Matthew lies!

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Images of '1) start the game' followed by using std::cin do not count as a GUI!

Go to: