Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Steve Jobs 1955-2011

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Steve Jobs 1955-2011
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Has anybody other than me noticed that the iPad 2 makes for an excellent mouse pad when it's got one of those leather covers on? :o

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

this post was made using my hackintosh

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I'm writing a hammer tester app that uses the motion sensors to determine if you've got a good solid hammer or a cheap flimsy one.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Has anybody made an app like that? You could get super rich by selling it! :o

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I read a Beetle Bailey strip back in the '80's (when the $600 hammer debacle procured by the military was occurring). Beetle asks Sarge the difference between the local hardware store hammer for $7 and the $600 military hammer. Sarge gently taps in a nail with the civilian hammer, saying "This cheap hammer takes all day", and then drives a nail in with one mighty blow while using the other hammer, saying "This good hammer is fast!". Beetle walks away satisfied while Sarge wipes his face with a hanky.

I have seen an article for an app that measures spinal curvature by running an iphone along the spine while accessing the accelerometers.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I have an android app that attempts to measure your heart-rate/pulse. It seems to be reasonably accurate. Have to be careful how you hold the device though, or it might double the count.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

{"name":"312811_10150340210013608_180256858607_7903536_2113424720_n.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/f\/bf63280d0abf9b7979c312c9763de99f.jpg","w":960,"h":816,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/f\/bf63280d0abf9b7979c312c9763de99f"}312811_10150340210013608_180256858607_7903536_2113424720_n.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I have an android app that attempts to measure your heart-rate/pulse. It seems to be reasonably accurate. Have to be careful how you hold the device though, or it might double the count.

How does it measure it? Are you sure it isn't just faking it? Did you try stressing yourself to watch it climb, and then sitting in a freezer to watch it drop? :P

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Has anybody made an app like that? You could get super rich by selling it!

No, but there is an app called Punch Force that measure your punching strength while you hold an iphone and punch at the air... I can imagine that's about as bad as using a wii without the straps.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

How does it measure it? Are you sure it isn't just faking it? Did you try stressing yourself to watch it climb, and then sitting in a freezer to watch it drop?

It uses the camera, you place your finger over the camera lense, and it attempts to measure the heart rate from that (I'm not sure exactly how it does it, but I assume its based on how much light comes back from the led lamp).

I've tried an "active" state (80-90+), a "resting" state (60+), and a "super relaxed" state (40-50~), and each time it measures a more or less realistic heart rate. (my heart rate has been rather low the past year or so, used to rev much higher).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

They've declared a "Steve Jobs Day". I hope govt. employees don't demand the day off, they get paid way too much for the few hours they work now.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Steve Jobs Day, an "Opportunist Startup" production.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

This is starting to get a little creepy. :-X

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

This is starting to get a little creepy. :-X

You want creepy? We got creepy!

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2011/10/07/steve-jobs-think-differently-is-lsd/#more-88718

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Late to the wake...

I knew he wasn't doing well but I had no idea he was so close to death.

I did not expect that.

Same. I wasn't saddened by it, but it was unexpected.

I respect his empire, and he created an interesting, unique, and purpose driven life. Even when he steps down as CEO, he goes all the way.

bamccaig said:

I imagine he just ended up taking credit for work that other people did, much like Bill Gates.

Uhhh... No. I actually don't think you could be any farther from the truth. He forced his own creativity upon others. It's what was so great about him, and also why I disliked his products so much. ;D

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Derezo said:

Uhhh... No. I actually don't think you could be any farther from the truth. He forced his own creativity upon others. It's what was so great about him, and also why I disliked his products so much. ;D

Exceptions occur, *cough* graphical user interface *cough*.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

@ Arthur Kalliokoski

But its so true.

You have to be pretty skilled to harness it though.
weed lets you analyse things in much much greater detail.

The key thing is being able to focus on what you want to focus on and blocking out the random detail of other things.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

OMG ! STEVE JOBS DEPART HAS MADE PICCOLO BACK !

(my best Steve Jobs death joke)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

piccolo said:

weed lets you analyse things in much much greater detail.

It also seems to improve your writing skills in the long run.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

01010010 01001001 01010000

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

[nil Why:@"Do you say that?"]

Longhand way to do same thing:

SEL s = sel_getUid(@"Why:");

typedef void (*foo)(id, SEL, NSString*);

((foo)objc_msgSend)(nil, s, @"Do you say that?");

Objective C isn't so bad, it has a bunch of parts that are actually quite cool. I particularly like the split between mutable and non-mutable objects, it allows for some cool interface setups.

And once you get used to nil being okay you can starting writing clean condensed code more often, where nil is the default for everything. It saves you from having to work as hard to test every input case for the chance of nil.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

01010010 01001001 01010000

It just occurred to me to convert that to ASCII. I'm slow sometimes.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

It just occured to me to guess the ASCII. The first number is two higher than the third one. And the second number is much less than the two others. I'm lazy sometimes.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

For the lazy...

perl -E 'say map { chr oct "0b$_" } qw(01010010 01001001 01010000)'

For the extra lazy: it's exactly what you think it is.

Objective C isn't so bad,...

Really? I can't even guess what your example code does. :P

Go to: