Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Steve Jobs 1955-2011

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Steve Jobs 1955-2011
blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

That's a shame. :'(

Quote:

At a 2005 commencement address at Stanford University, Jobs shared the philosophy that drove him.

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life,” Jobs said. “Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Dam pickles could not even run the company and let the man enjoy what little time he had left. died right on the iphone 4s release

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

And the jokes are already coming.

"Steve Jobs is just like a Mac. Once a piece malfunctions, you have to replace the whole thing."

Anyway, yeah. That news kinda came out of left field; he was supposed to be stepping down as CEO ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I thought everybody realized he was about to die...

RIP... Sent from my iPad.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

he was supposed to be stepping down as CEO

He did step down as CEO.

I was never a diehard fan of Apple or Jobs, but it is saddening to hear of his death.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I thought everybody realized he was about to die...

Leo Fender (yes, Fender Guitars) sold his company in '65 because the doctor he had told him he was about to die. He switched to a doctor who cured him with a few antibiotics.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Wow! :(

I knew he wasn't doing well but I had no idea he was so close to death.

I did not expect that.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I got my start in Indie games due to his company, and they're still the biggest part of my (small) business. But on a personal level, I admired him. Really sad and unexpected for me.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

RIP sent from my galaxy tab :P

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Maybe Macs will become cheaper now. Then at least he didn't die for nothing,,,

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

torhu said:

Maybe Macs will become cheaper now. Then at least he didn't die for nothing,,,

Because the company will stagnate under the (lack of) leadership of suits.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/608176/929144#target

Maybe I should have been more clear so you guys knew what to expect. :-/

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

RIP and Thank You Steve Jobs :)

Thanks for PCs, Mac OS, iOS, NextStep, Colorful computers, Pixar, iProducts, and everything else you were part of, you truly were an inspiration and it is sad that you are gone.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Maybe I should have been more clear so you guys knew what to expect. :-/

You're going to die too, harsh but true...

Jim Morrison said:

"Ain't none of us gonna make it out alive"

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Let's hope they don't become cheaper, because for what you get in a mid range mac without loading it with extras, you'd be very hard pressed to find something as solid and with parts anywhere near as good as in the mac. In most cases it's the top notch parts and configurations you can get in a mac that set it apart, and a lot of times they aren't even available in competing products until a year later if ever. Mac's are high end machines with suitable prices.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

$200 for a 4GB RAM upgrade is highway robbery.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Mac's are high end machines with suitable prices.

{"name":"1095-chocolate-psshh.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/0\/80d52141d98738668fbef0b25c983682.jpg","w":311,"h":311,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/0\/80d52141d98738668fbef0b25c983682"}1095-chocolate-psshh.jpg

Now, let's not stray afar.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

You have no idea. You've probably never even owned a Mac.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I own a Mac and I can tell you every work that Trent says is true. Macs are high quality products.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

jmasterx said:

I own a Mac and I can tell you every work that Trent says is true. Macs are high quality products.

My 5 year old homebuilt (~$400) suffered one bad stick of ram, and I probably went through 3 or 4 keyboards and mice each. My current $400 e-machine with $80 video card and $100 psu is 6 months old and no hardware problems have occurred yet.

A new (but almost obsolete, therefore high priced) 1Gb stick of ram for the old machine cost $50, and the keyboards and mice were mostly from my pile of spares, although they're pretty cheap to buy new.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Damn! :'( I'll miss that man. He was the combination of innovation and marketing, and the representation of "believe in yourself and make it happen" phrase.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I mostly just hate OS X's window manager. I also am put off against the whole idea that to use OS X, you are expected to use an Apple monitor, an Apple mouse, an Apple keyboard, an Apple desk while wearing an Apple t-shirt while listening to Steve Jobs hum in your ear via your Apple earphones hooked into your Apple iPod.

And, oh, by the way, next year everything you use is obsolete and no longer backward compatible because the next great super port was engineered that is twice as small, twice as fast all while supporting the same number (0) of devices. >:(

But, yes, Apple products are well made these days. (Didn't use to be.)

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

People said great things about Richard Nixon after he died.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I own a MacBook Pro. Setting aside the issue that I had to exchange it for a new one four times to get one that didn't have a bad fan or screwed up screen (and then opened several more in store on the final time with the store manager, until they finally "brought me one from a new batch" that was acceptable), it's been high quality. Of course, it was also the most problematic machine I've ever owned as well, between the aluminum case starting to corrode (and subsequently having "$1600" in repairs done under warranty), battery swelling up like a balloon (to Apple's credit, they replaced the battery and it was over a year past warranty), etc.

Their desktop machine prices are hardly good prices though. Perhaps their high end machines are bleeding edge, but even the midrange machines are expensive. You can build a PC with the same specs for much less. But then again, most people will readily admit that. You don't buy an Apple because you want a bargain.

Go to: