Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » finally bought my pc parts

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
finally bought my pc parts
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

- There's the one sucking the air in for the psu (750w)

It's actually expelling air.

You may want to see if you can add a front fan to suck air in, so the rear fan's actually have some air to expel.

If it was I, I'd get new quiet fans from Noctua, Gelid, or Silenx (or possibly Yate Loon). They are generally great fans, and quite a bit quieter than most fans that come with hardware.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

so have one on the front and one at the back?

I went into the asus tuning system and it'll auto tune (i.e. overclock sensibly) the cpu and memory and stuff but suggests I add 'advanced cooling'.

btw, what's the difference between 'chasis fan' and 'power fan', I have these two on my mobo. The power fan is 3 pin 12v, and the chasis fan is 4 pin but no idea of the voltage.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, if you're over-clocking much at all, you want nice air flow, and generally want a better heatsink than the stock heatsink. And you definitely want some decent fans front and rear. Most air flow possible with the least amount of noise (nothing more annoying than a whiny fan).

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Four pin connector is newer, though I've only seen it with CPU fans. It's supposed to support speed adjustment natively or something too.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, that fourth wire is a PWM signal IIRC. Third is the tach signal IIRC. PWM gives greater control over the speed of the fan (vs voltage control). Most 4 pin fans will work fine on a 3 pin header, so don't worry about that. 3 pin fans should also work fine on a 4 pin header.

--

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

hmm, getting a bit confused. Half the forums I'm reading say the power fan (PWR_FAN) is to supply a fan with monitoring capabilities and the other half say it's to connect a PSU lead for monitoring if the PSU has one.

Also, random addition. I've got a GTS450 and an i5 2500. Should I let the card or the cpu do physx?

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

hmm, getting a bit confused. Half the forums I'm reading say the power fan (PWR_FAN) is to supply a fan with monitoring capabilities and the other half say it's to connect a PSU lead for monitoring if the PSU has one.

If your psu doesn't have a monitoring signal, you can just attach any old fan to that port AFAIK.

--

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Also, random addition. I've got a GTS450 and an i5 2500. Should I let the card or the cpu do physx?

GPU.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

BAF said:

Four pin connector is newer, though I've only seen it with CPU fans.

...Neil, are you sure you haven't swapped the cables/fans? Though I can't imagine any serious issues.
BTW pretty specs :D What kind of monitor you've got hooked up?

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

For testing it's a hp lp2065 (20inch rotable monitor).

But it's going onto a desk where space is premium so there no room for a monitor, instead it'll be using the 25inch lcd TV, I just hope the refresh rate is ok.

I think I read the GTS450 was tuned for 1600ish resolution so I'll probably not bother going to 1920.

Being new to the 64-bit world, I've been looking for 64bit Firefox and can't seem to get it, I guess it's either still beta or mozilla are hiding it well. the main and 7/8 releases seem to only want to give me 32bit.

Neil.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I wouldn't bother with a 64-bit browser. Then again, I wouldn't bother with firefox either.

I'd also run native resolution on the LCD if possible, it will look like ass otherwise.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I have a dilemma. On the wall is a 1080p 26inch tv (5ms response time) that is used for the xbox and it's great. I have to now double this as the monitor as there's no room for two (used to have a laptop).

But while games play nice, normal Windows running on this screen, sitting this close, is just too big and I bet it'll give headaches and eye strain (it looks ok, runs at 1920x1080 60hz).

What to do....

Neil.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Sit further back.

Or get a 17-21" LCD and put the computer somewhere that will fit.

I have a 24" LCD monitor thats been doubling up as my TV and desktop screen. It's a bit annoying to move it around, but I rarely use my desktop anymore, so its not that big of an issue.

--

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

The fonts are just not right, just not crisp enough. I've been looking around and I was going to go for a Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 which said it had almost no lag. http://www.digitalversus.com/samsung-syncmaster-xl2370-p357_6587_36.html

Or, anyone recommend a 24inch monitor with low response and input lag?

[edit]Actually monitors are crap. Why do they only ever provide 1 hdmi (or other) port and why do none of them have vesa mounts? hdmi splitter boxes just never work.

Neil.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Um, monitors often have vesa mounts. Better ones have more than one HDMI, but mine was a el'cheapo, so it only has 1 HDMI, 1 VGA, and 1 DVI.

Since I have more than one HDMI device now (media box and cable/digital tv box), I splurged for a $40 HDMI switch from a place called XS Cargo. I saw the same exact switch at SuperStore's electronics section for like $80+. I laughed and laughed.

--

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I'm thinking now the best thing is to plug the xbox via hdmi and the pc through dvi.

But, I'm a spaz when it comes to audio. If I got something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Phono-Selector-Switch-Red/dp/B000LARTHQ/

Would I be able to plug in my powered headphones (turtle beach X11, but I have various converters) to the switch's output and it would be ok? I'm a bit confused over whether it takes amplified or line level and what the xbox outputs (pc has line, rca and headphone out).

Neil.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

(pc has line, rca and headphone out).

That RCA is likely actually a coaxial spdif (digital) line, rather than analogue RCA, unless it actually has a left and right RCA jack, then its possible. Though you can always get a mini-jack to RCA cable to convert the main out to RCA.

I think headphone prefer headphone jacks. But often they work with the regular "front/rear" plugs (not sure about the line-out, that is often not amplified at all, and may not work with higher impedance headphones).

This is all based on possibly wrong assumptions on my part, I'm not an audio expert by any stretch of the imagination.

--

1   2 

Go to: