Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » finally bought my pc parts

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
finally bought my pc parts
Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

This is what I opted for in the end (I found a sata2 HD and dvd writer going for free :)

Asus P8H67-M PRO R3 H67 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard
Core i5 2500 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Palit GeForce GTS 450 1GB DDR3 Dual-Link DVI, VGA, HDMI Graphics Card
CIT 750W Dual 12V Rail 12cm Fan PSU - 4x SATA 1x PCI-E
Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz i5 Memory Kit Non-ECC CL9 1.5V
Casecom MA-1199 Shiny Silver with Black Front MATX Tower Case

I probably should have got the slightly (£10) cheaper motherboard but I figured usb3 might be useful at some point....

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

So, how much? And how much could you have saved if you went AMD :p

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I bought a USB 2.0 PCI card. 5 ports baby!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I installed an eSATA bracket on my server last night to work around Grub2 not working with my server's disk setup anymore. Had to attach my external eSATA disk and write grub to that >:(

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

I just built a PC one week ago.

-Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54
-CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555
-DDR3: 1600 2Gb X 2
-SSD: 30GB SATA II this for the OS, my main board supports SATA III but the SSD was too expensive.
-A normal case ATX
-GFX: a simple GIGABYTE GeForce 8400GS, just because the M.B doesn't have one included.

for 345€... and it fly... I'm now using FL Studio with 2ms of latency, the minimum latency! ;D

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I'd like to buy a new PC but I don't need one.

I keep waiting for this one (AMD64 X2) to stop working. >:(

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Oh, the reason I bought the USB card is the computer (with the motherboard Matthew gave me :P) only has USB 1.1 or 1.0 and I'm trying to use it as a NAS. I get like 700KB/s throughput now. I also bought a new router (TP-Link TL-WR1043ND) which means I actually can get speeds over 500KB/s over the local wifi network. I have the external hard drive plugged directly into the router now, but the router is weak and NTFS for Linux is slow so.. I get about 1.8MB/s, still an improvement.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

I'd like to buy a new PC but I don't need one.

I had the same excuse, but then I start thinking, "and what if some day the PC stop working" the battery is already death, and the screen (laptop) get completely red sometimes, actually that doesn't matters because I'm using an external screen. I didn't wait to buy a new PC for many reasons, one of them is that I don't want to wait until someday suddenly the PC dies and then I would have to buy the new PC recover all the info an all that, and probably I'm going to be using the PC for something important.

Another reason is that I actually need a PC with more performance for programs like Photoshop, Illustrator or Blender, I get shock when I realize how slow was my PC.

But the biggest reason was that... Imagine that my HDD dies... :o

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I'm down to 3 computers now (not counting phones, ipads etc.) I've got my laptop as my primary computer, desktop for... almost done use it except to play bluray but that's rare. And I have the old beast I build using Matthew's mobo, which I'm using as a print server and NAS.

Oh, and if you recall I was planning on using Matthew's mobo for some A4 DOS programming, and I did get it all set up and was going to begin. But using that old Windows 98 and DOS stuff make me physically sick. DOS is not as much fun as I remembered it :(.

edit: Holy hell it's unbelievable how many tyops I make in the average post.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

But the biggest reason was that... Imagine that my HDD dies...

I have RAID5 set up, and I doubt my computer will ever fail. >:(

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Oh, and if you recall I was planning on using Matthew's mobo for some A4 DOS programming

Indeed. To be honest, when I read that I thought you must be crazy... Or a man with a loooooooot of free time... :P

I'm planing to buy a 2Tb USB 3.0 HHD but I don't have an excuse to spend that money now... I have read that the 3.0 port has a speed of 5GHz/s and SATA III has 6GHZ/s. So I could use an external HHD even to install my OS and have my entire system with me, Screw the cloud!. ;D

Edit:

and I doubt my computer will ever fail.

Yes... Until it happens...

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I have read that the 3.0 port has a speed of 5GHz/s

Giga cycles per second... per second? That's not speed... that's acceleration :o.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Yes... Until it happens...

Custom built desktops lost a long time, especially if they aren't used for gaming. I must have put my current one together in 2006, judging by when AMD 64 X2 chips were first made. I replaced the original hard drive with a RAID5 configuration, but other than that, it's the same thing as always.

I may replace the system drive with an SSD though, because running everything on RAID5 was kind of annoying to set up, and I know eventually some kernel update will screw it all up... :-[

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I want to buy a new PC to be able to play Red Orchestra 2, but it's kind of hard to justify spending $1000 for that reason alone :-/ That would make me an... idiot, I suppose :P

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Custom built desktops lost a long time, especially if they aren't used for gaming.

I admit they can, but only under two conditions:
1. you don't buy utter crap
2. you don't have dirty power

Get a decent motherboard, a good power supply, and if your power is dirty or flaky, get a UPS or power conditioner to protect against that.

My server has been absolutely rock solid, except for the SHITTY ass driver for the SAS card I have causing the raid array to lock up occasionally. I bought a $200+ motherboard, a $120+ 650w power supply, and a 1500VA(900W) UPS. Haven't even had the slightest bit of instability since I got it 3~ years ago.

My old Athlon XP systems were absolute crap, and it shows. They were unstable as all hell. Maybe it was caused by shitty power, I'm not sure.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

a good power supply, and if your power is dirty or flaky, get a UPS or power conditioner to protect against that.

I had actually written about both of those things, but removed it for brevity's sake. It's foolish to run a desktop without even a basic UPS that can run for a minute or two. You never know when the power is going to take a brief dump.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I need to test my UPS soon.. I've plugged so much crap into it just for the surge protection that it probably won't last 10 seconds.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I don't know much about hardware, all I do know is with all of my audio software running my poor dual core 1gb ram old-faithful sounds like a train passing, the hdd led is running at around 190bpm. I need new hardware; handouts are welcome. 8-)

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

kazzmir said:

So, how much? And how much could you have saved if you went AMD :p

AMD sucks nowadays.

That set me back £399. Remember you can't really convert £ to $ as things are always more expensive over here.

The motherboard was £80, the cpu £150 and the graphics card £70. Those were the main hits. Memory, case and psu were fairly cheap.

I was going to get the i5 2500k instead and try out the HD3000 (the 2500 only comes with 2000) but I figured it'll probably still only give me 20fps on low settings for most games so bought the 450. Was going to get the 250 but the 450 was the same price.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

AMD sucks nowadays.

Only if you're after raw performance. If you want to talk performance per $, that's a different story. Especially if you want features like VT-d and the like. AMD also has much MUCH better integrated video.

--

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

how many cores does the i5 have ?

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

It depends on the specific model, but OP's i5 has 4 cores.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

SiegeLord said:

Giga cycles per second... per second? That's not speed... that's acceleration

Ooooopss!...

I can't edit it... >:(

::) When Matthew doesn't have anything to do...............................

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Do I need more fans?

- There's the one sucking the air in for the psu (750w)
- There's the one attached to my cpu
- There's the one attached to my GTS450
- There's an 8cm one at the back of my case
- The mobo doesn't need fans apparently, it's got new fin technology

I'm monitoring the system, just wanted general empirical knowledge.

The rough spec of stuff important is i5 2500, nvidia gts 450

Neil.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Is the PSU built at the top or at the bottom of the case? If it's at the top it will eat all hot air and probably overheat quite easily, so adding a rear fan can help a lot.

If it's at the bottom the PSU will be warm, but you don't have any fan to create air flow, so you may need one (but check temperatures, it may be ok without fan).

- The mobo doesn't need fans apparently, it's got new fin technology

new technology? I've never had a mobo with fans :P. (I know some ones have a fan in the chipset).

<edit>
I'd probably remove that 8cm fan, it's probably noisy (I guess it spins at a very high RPM) and useless.

1   2 

Go to: