Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Black Sprites

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Black Sprites
therpgmaker
Member #13,412
August 2011

Ok, so I was working on a map editor, and had it nearing completion when I decided to make the switch from allegro 4 to allegro 5. After much hardship, I finally got it to compile, and it mostly works, except for some major problems. Some of the sprites are black. I am at the moment completely baffled, because I made two scroll bar objects, one vertical, and one horizontal. On these scroll bars, I have a button object with a sprite attached to it for both arrow buttons. The sprite is simply something I created through code. Now the vertical scroll bar looks fine, but the horizontal scroll bar, the right arrow button is black except for the border. No little triangle sprite that coded it to have. The weird part is that the code for the creation of all four directional buttons is virtually identical except for the positions and the relative coords of the triangle on the button. I tried to look for any differences in the code, but to no avail. The only thing that I figured out is that if I reverse the order that I create the left and right buttons, it is the left button that becomes all black rather than the right one. As well the text on the buttons appears as all black, and same with the tiles on the map window.

Here's the horizontal scroll bar code for the creation of the left and right arrow buttons:

#SelectExpand
1//Create left button 2 ALLEGRO_BITMAP *leftArrow = al_create_bitmap(BUTTONWIDTH,height); 3 al_set_target_bitmap(leftArrow); 4 al_draw_filled_rectangle(0,0,BUTTONWIDTH,height,al_map_rgb(255,0,255)); 5 al_draw_filled_triangle(5*BUTTONWIDTH/8,height/4,5*BUTTONWIDTH/8,3*height/4,3*BUTTONWIDTH/8,height/2,borderCol); 6 leftButton = new PushButton(x,y,BUTTONWIDTH,height,leftArrow); 7 leftButton->setBorderCol(borderCol); 8 leftButton->setHorizontal(false); 9 10 //Create right button 11 ALLEGRO_BITMAP *rightArrow = al_create_bitmap(BUTTONWIDTH,height); 12 al_set_target_bitmap(rightArrow); 13 al_draw_filled_rectangle(0,0,BUTTONWIDTH,height,al_map_rgb(255,0,255)); 14 al_draw_filled_triangle(3*BUTTONWIDTH/8,height/4,3*BUTTONWIDTH/8,3*height/4,5*BUTTONWIDTH/8,height/2,borderCol); 15 rightButton = new PushButton(x+width-BUTTONWIDTH,y,BUTTONWIDTH,height,rightArrow); 16 rightButton->setBorderCol(borderCol); 17 rightButton->setHorizontal(false);

And here is the code for drawing the button. There's a lot of stuff in the middle for highlighting/darkening the button depending whether the mouse is hovering over it or it is being clicked. That works just fine and the problem still occurs even if it is commented out.

#SelectExpand
1if(visible) 2 { 3 ALLEGRO_COLOR newForeCol = foreCol; 4 ALLEGRO_COLOR newBackCol = backCol; 5 ALLEGRO_COLOR shadowCol = decrementColour(backCol,SHADOWR,SHADOWG,SHADOWB);//Find darker colour on bottom half of button 6 ALLEGRO_COLOR newBorderCol = borderCol; 7 8 ALLEGRO_BITMAP *newSprite; 9 10 if(sprite != NULL) 11 { 12 newSprite = al_create_bitmap(al_get_bitmap_width(sprite),al_get_bitmap_height(sprite)); 13 //rectfill(newSprite,x,y,newSprite->w,newSprite->h,makecol(255,0,255)); 14 al_set_target_bitmap(newSprite); 15 al_draw_bitmap(sprite,0,0,0); 16 //al_draw_bitmap_region(sprite,0,0,al_get_bitmap_width(sprite),al_get_bitmap_height(sprite),0,0,0); 17 al_convert_mask_to_alpha(newSprite,al_map_rgb(255,0,255)); 18 } 19 20 //Hilight button if mouse is over 21 if(highlighted) 22 { 23 newBackCol = incrementColour(newBackCol,0,0,HIGHLIGHT); 24 shadowCol = incrementColour(shadowCol,0,0,HIGHLIGHT); 25 newForeCol = incrementColour(newForeCol,0,0,HIGHLIGHT); 26 newBorderCol = incrementColour(newBorderCol,0,0,HIGHLIGHT); 27 if(sprite != NULL) 28 incrementColour(newSprite,0,0,HIGHLIGHT); 29 } 30 31 //Darken button if pressed 32 if(pressed) 33 { 34 newBackCol = decrementColour(newBackCol,PRESSSHADOWR,PRESSSHADOWG,PRESSSHADOWB); 35 shadowCol = decrementColour(shadowCol,PRESSSHADOWR,PRESSSHADOWG,PRESSSHADOWB); 36 newForeCol = decrementColour(newForeCol,PRESSSHADOWR,PRESSSHADOWG,PRESSSHADOWB); 37 newBorderCol = decrementColour(newBorderCol,PRESSSHADOWR,PRESSSHADOWG,PRESSSHADOWB); 38 if(sprite != NULL) 39 decrementColour(newSprite,PRESSSHADOWR,PRESSSHADOWG,PRESSSHADOWB); 40 } 41 42 al_set_target_bitmap(buffer); 43 al_draw_filled_rectangle(x+1, y+1, x+width, y+height-1, newBackCol); //Draw the button 44 if(horizontal) 45 al_draw_filled_rectangle(x+2, y+1+height/2, x+width-2, y+height-2, shadowCol); //Draw the button darker part on bottom half 46 else 47 al_draw_filled_rectangle(x+1+width/2, y+2, x+width-2, y+height-2, shadowCol); //Draw the button darker part on right half 48 49 if(sprite != NULL) 50 al_draw_bitmap(newSprite, x+width/2-al_get_bitmap_width(sprite)/2, y+height/2-al_get_bitmap_height(sprite)/2,0); 51 //draw_lit_sprite(buffer,sprite, x+width/2-sprite->w/2, y+height/2-sprite->h/2, 64); //Highlight sprite 52 53 //Draw the border 54 al_draw_line(x+1, y, x+width-1, y, borderCol,0); //Top 55 al_draw_line(x+1, y+height, x+width-1, y+height, borderCol,0); //Bottom 56 al_draw_line(x, y+height-1, x, y+1, borderCol,0); //Left 57 al_draw_line(x+width, y+height-1, x+width, y+1, borderCol,0); //Right 58 if(pressed) //Thicken border if pressed 59 { 60 ALLEGRO_COLOR lightBorder = incrementColour(borderCol,BORDERINCR,BORDERINCG,BORDERINCB); 61 62 al_draw_line(x+1, y+1, x+width-1, y+1, lightBorder,0); //Top 63 al_draw_line(x+1, y+height-1, x+width-1, y+height-1, lightBorder,0); //Bottom 64 al_draw_line(x+1, y+height-1, x+1, y+1, lightBorder,0); //Left 65 al_draw_line(x+width-1, y+height-1, x+width-1, y+1, lightBorder,0); //Right 66 } 67 68 //Draw text 69 al_draw_text(myFont,newForeCol,x+width/2,y+height/2-al_get_font_line_height(myFont)/2,ALLEGRO_ALIGN_CENTRE,caption.c_str()); 70 71 if(sprite != NULL) 72 al_destroy_bitmap(newSprite); 73 }

Also, I attached a screenshot.

David Couzelis
Member #10,079
August 2008

Were you able to figure out what was wrong?

I'm interested in this problem and would like to look in to it. Could you provide either all or a piece of the source code that's able to compile so I could try it out?

Just to confirm, there were no "black sprites" when you were using Allegro 4?

therpgmaker
Member #13,412
August 2011

Yeah I figured it out. It ended up just being stupid mistakes I made from not being used to Allegro 5. Some of it (the arrow buttons and tiles) were from not setting the target bitmap (I liked the old way better in this case...) in the main function and then calling the clear to colour function. The text on the other buttons was because I forgot to change which font I was loading, and was instead loading an allegro 4 font. I figured that out by messing with the colour the draw text function was passed and realized that I could make the text show up with a pink background if I set it to white. So yeah, all my own stupid mistakes.

EDIT: One question. Am I correct in assuming that allegro 5 coords start at (1,1) instead of (0,0)?

David Couzelis
Member #10,079
August 2008

I switched to Allegro 5 only a couple of weeks ago, but from what I can tell everything is still (0, 0) based. Are you experiencing something different?

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Coords start at 0/0 - but Allegro 5 uses continuous instead of the A4 pixel coordinates. So 0/0 is not the pixel in the upper left corner of the screen, but the position of the upper left corner of that pixel. Position 0.5/0.5 is the center of that pixel. Position 1/1 is on the intersection of 4 different pixels.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

therpgmaker
Member #13,412
August 2011

Ok, but then why is it that when I create a bitmap, and then draw a rectangle to it for a border from (0.5,0.5) to (width-.5,height-.5), the border doesn't show up at all on the top or left?

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Is it a memory bitmap? OpenGL or D3D? Which platform? Can you give a code example?

therpgmaker
Member #13,412
August 2011

ALLEGRO_BITMAP* mapWindow = al_create_bitmap(width,height);
al_set_target_bitmap(mapWindow);
al_draw_filled_rectangle(.5, .5, width-.5, height-.5, backCol);

EDIT: And that might be the problem... that's not me drawing the border, ;D

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

The 0.5 offsets are for outlined shapes only. For filled shapes, don't use 0.5 offsets. To understand why, read up on it in the manual, it explains it pretty clearly. I understand you just made a simple mistake, though.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Yes, what Trent says - if you draw a bitmap you usually want it to spawn the complete pixels so you don't want an offset of half a pixel.

--

therpgmaker
Member #13,412
August 2011

If (x+.5,y+.5) is the centre of the pixel, if I make a rounded square border, it should look like this:

oxxxo
xooox
xooox
xooox
oxxxo

Rather, it looks more like:

oxxoo
xooox
xooox
ooooo
oxxoo

With the following code:

al_draw_line(x+1.5, y+.5, x+width-1.5, y+.5, borderCol,1); //Top
al_draw_line(x+1.5, y+height-.5, x+width-1.5, y+height-.5, borderCol,1); //Bottom
al_draw_line(x+.5, y+height-1.5, x+.5, y+1.5, borderCol,1); //Left
al_draw_line(x+width-.5, y+height-1.5, x+width-.5, y+1.5, borderCol,1); //Right

I could easily make it look right, but it doesn't this seem consistent at all.

EDIT: Wow, those diagrams were hard to format correctly...

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Look at the pictures here, especially the two al_draw_line calls in the second one: http://www.allegro.cc/manual/5/primitives.html

--

Go to: