Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Bobby - Allegro 5 iPhone game

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Bobby - Allegro 5 iPhone game
Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I can test any version. It's more of a second set of eyes thing.

Tomoso
Member #3,128
January 2003

I just bought this from the app store for the iPhone and so far so good. I watched your video first and thought it looked quite easy, then I played it and started to cry. Only played it for 10 mins or so though, only another 60 levels to go!
Good job =)

Lazy Noob - Blog

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Thanks Tomoso. It takes a good deal of practice but you learn good strategy if you play it enough :).

Tomoso
Member #3,128
January 2003

Played it for a while longer and have some more feedback.

If you press the 'on/off/lock' button on top of the iPhone while the game is running, it doesn't stop running. The music still plays and when you come to unlock it the game is not paused. Which brings me nicely on to my second point which isn't really a bug. When you press the 'Home' button and then relaunch the game it is paused (as I would expect), but the text reads "Touch to continue" with a button below to retry. Took me a while to work out I had to touch the little pause button in the corner which I didn't notice at first. From reading the text I was expecting to be able to press anywhere on the screen except for the retry button.

Lazy Noob - Blog

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Oh, I wonder what trigger I get from that lock button... have to look into that. And the second one is probably stale code from an older version I forgot to update. Thanks for the reports!

edit: I must have fixed the second bug already, as when I leave the game and come back to it it says "Tap pause to continue"... so you may have an old version, or the bug was fixed in 1.2 which I submitted to the App Store yesterday.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I've played it now on my iPod and while there's nothing wrong with the implementation and for the most part it looks great, I just find the game to be incredibly annoying to play due to the touch controls.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

There's a Linux version if that suits you. You could at least try the Lite version and see if you like the controls any better... then I can send you a serial so you can download it.

BTW, I just released 1.2, and while trying to finish the brutally difficult level 66, the game crashed due to a memory leak causing an out of memory error. I must have played 100 games or so so you have to play a lot for it to happen. I fixed it now and I'm going to release 1.3 hopefully early next week with that fixed, fullscreen iPad support, and fullscreen support on PC/Mac/Linux.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I'll take a serial for the Linux version...

It crashes by default:

mkdir("/home/matthew/.config/Nooskewl/Bobby", 0755) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Creating the directory by hand of course fixed it.

Unrelated, but you should put your order forms on SSL. I know they post to SSL, but people may get paranoid if the page itself isn't.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Ah, that bug... I fixed it for Mac but not other platforms. Damn. Well 1.3 is coming out very soon. I'm just about done with it. PM me your email address because the thing works that way.

1   2 

Go to: