Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Found out I'm a little Sexist.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Found out I'm a little Sexist.
superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

This kinda relates to the hurricane but on a different level thus a new thread topic.

So, I realized that I wasn't taking this Hurricane too seriously because its named "Irene" a feminine name.

I think subconsciously, I'm thinking that's a girl hurricane, girls aren't scary, they can't do damage.

Then when I started realizing how bad this might be, I'm like I think I would have taken this more seriously if it was hurricane Andrew or Daniel.

Yea seems kinda silly, but i know that's what my mind was doing, somehow downplaying the storm because its has a girly name.

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

but i know that's what my mind was doing

That's what it wants you to think.

Er, that's what you wants you to think.

Errrr...

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

pics or it didnt happen

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Irene \/

images

Daniel \/
{"name":"sports-geek.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/4\/f4b167bb07e08b2a5ae84c1a3471a672.jpg","w":281,"h":374,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/4\/f4b167bb07e08b2a5ae84c1a3471a672"}sports-geek.jpg

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

eeewww

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

eeewww eeewww

So long all wet dreams in the future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

You're not the only one X:

<MftS> Who the fuck is the one naming hurricanes?
<MftS> They somehow manage to give them the least threatening names ever.
<MftS> If I turned on the news and heard that Hurricane Erin was coming I'd think to myself, "Erin? I could take that slut."
<MftS> If I turned on the news and heard that Hurricane Dicksmasher was approaching, I'd grab all the money in the house, shove it in my pockets, and get the fuck out of there.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

<MftS> Who the fuck is the one naming hurricanes?

Says someone who's name is "MftS" :-X

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I just got done watching Colombiana. At this point in time I do not share your cognitive bias.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

And its 911's fault!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Presumably the logic behind the naming is that some women are actually quite a force to be reckoned with if you ever end up in an argument with them.

We probably have a distorted view here because our brains are all a cut above average, so we naturally seek out nice women and then forget about the bad ones.

I wish I had more time to write more and get myself in even more trouble, but I have to rush off ;D

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

My bet is that it's down to male meteorologist referring to women in their lives with "stormy" characteristics. :P

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Personally, I find working in environments filled with other men preferable to working with female co-workers, as female co-workers tend to be more moody and rain unpredictable shit storms.

OTH guys that dont get laid and work in male dominated work environments can be just as finicky.

-----

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

My experience of women in the workplace is that they're lovely to me, and bitchy to all their female colleagues. If you're moody towards you, chances are you're a bit of a woman yourself. ;)

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

When it comes to work, i'm asexual, i'm there to make money and do quality work (and I'm already attached&engaged to a beautiful woman), i've noticed that often, a woman will have a crush on me, she will notice that her advances do not work and her frustration may turn into jealousy and resentment. Essentially, the few that get moody, do so because I wont give them any. This is one of the perils of being attractive, and I'm used to it.

Not that it affects me, I tend to be indifferent and go on about my day.

-----

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Women in the work place can be just as catty as men, or is it the other way around? I try to concentrate on my job, but there are some real cuties there. There were a couple of girls that had a bit of a crush on me but I never acted on it. I think I regret one.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Essentially, the few that get moody, do so because I wont give them any. This is one of the perils of being attractive, and I'm used to it.

That's womanish thinking; I bet that's exactly what they're thinking about you. :P

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

What would you have thought had they named the hurricane Big Bertha?

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

What I found funny is that superstar4410 used the smiley face icon for the thread, so I guess he's happy about being sexist ??? :-X.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

Big Bertha?

I would have picture big, slow, and laying flat everything in her path,
kinda like these previous Berthas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Bertha

The smiley for the thread post is more with my personality, kinda like come join me as we discuss this topic.

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

I figured, it does suit your personality :).

On the subject of hurricane naming; just once I want them to go out on a whim and name a hurricane something completely ridiculous.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

In Australia, cyclone gender alternates, so only 50% are women, every other one is male. I had assumed that everyone did it that way.

Are all the cyclones in America named after women?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I think it would be a big step forward for fearful naming if we just called them cyclones :o.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

{"name":"oGdNl.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b707f548ea24a83e3d764948bf03109f.jpg","w":548,"h":420,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b707f548ea24a83e3d764948bf03109f"}oGdNl.jpg

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

North~
Member #12,192
August 2010

^ this

If I turned on the news and there was a Hurricane Zoidberg coming, I would laugh and cry while packing my stuff.

--------------------------------------------------
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/04/always-initialize-your-memory/

If this is possible if you don't correctly initialize memory, it should be a priority of the highest order.

1   2 

Go to: