Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Linux music player that doesn't suck?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Linux music player that doesn't suck?
gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

A Linux music player that doesn't suck: is there such a thing?

My requirements are basically:

• Light-weight. No "we want to be iTunes so bad we also need to waste resources like it" behemoths. Playing an mp3 takes a negligible amount of resources. The player should reflect this.

• Usable on a netbook (seriously, what the fuck is up with Linux GUI developers and hard-coded minimum sizes?).

• A UI that isn't full of fail (gmusicbrowser, I'm looking at you).

• No obvious annoying bugs (*cough*Exaile*cough*).

So. Does such a program exist? :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

If I want to listen to a single .mp3, I just click on it and the associated Mplayer brings up a little applet thingee. If I want to listen to a list of songs or an album in a directory, I use Amarok, although one time I tried associate Amarok with a directory without thinking for a second and thoroughly messed up Konqueror.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Amarok falls squarely into the iTunesey Behemoth category. :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Wine + Foobar2000.

That's all. Linux players sucks.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

I assume you've already looked at and ruled out VLC, but if you haven't might as well look into that.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

vlc isn't well designed to play musics.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

What types of features are you looking for in a music player?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

If you don't mind using a service sign up for a google music beta account and upload your stuff there. You can play your music from the site anywhere (also on android devices). I expect it to be a paid service later but for now I guess you can consider it an option. ::)

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I personally use Amarok, but I usually hear good things about Audacious.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

I just use whatever it is that came with Ubuntu. It's not too heavy and does everything I need. (Which is WMP but that can play every audio file and isn't filled with all of the crap they added since XP days.)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I just tried Amarok on 11 mp3's at once and Mplayer on a single mp3 while watching a graphical system monitor thing, didn't notice any activity on the graphs except a slight spike when opening the directories with Konqueror, and there was a huge chunk of one core while Amarok showed the splash screen thingee which went away after 5 seconds. While watching the memory number in the monitor status bar while closing Amarok, I saw it go from 0.69G used down to 0.63 out of 3.9G total. The CPU was randomly fluctuating between 3.0% and 0% while the music was playing, just as it does when it's idle as possible. [edit3] Most of that 3.0% is the system monitor app by itself. :P

I do remember a few years ago doing the same thing while listening to OGG vs mp3 on an old computer, IIRC the mp3 took about 14% CPU and the OGG took about 40%. How old is your computer anyway, gnolam?

[EDIT]

Now I selected all 11 files and opened them all at once with Mplayer, it seems to be doing fine except it's playing them in reverse order. :-/

[EDIT2]

I wanted to listen to them in order, so I closed Mplayer and fired up Amarok again. Apparently it and/or the songs was still in the buffers as the splash screen only flashed briefly for a fraction of a second.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

VLC kinda works for music, but I hate that it starts software amplification when I push the volume up button on my keyboard... I actually hated it enough that I stopped using it.

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

Write one.
(Yes, I hate when people tell me that too.)

Edit: to try to be perhaps a little more helpful:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-great-alternative-linux-music-players/

I would try the fifth on the list, if I used Linux.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I use Amarok too. It's pretty fully-featured, but for the most part you can ignore the extra features. It depends if you're one of those people that likes to have multiple windows visible at once (e.g., have your current task window on a portion of your screen with the media player always visible). I maximize all my windows and switch between them so a large windowed application isn't much of an issue for me. It can be annoying on my netbook, but I only use that if I absolutely must... I don't remember if I've ever used Amarok (or any other music player) on it though.

When I first started using Linux ~6 years ago I think I used XMMS. It's relatively minimalistic, AFAIK, but the UI is pretty cluttered/ugly. I wouldn't be surprised if it was skinnable though. I haven't used it since I discovered Amarok. IIRC, it worked OK, but it did have some bugs. In the past 5 years they may have been worked out though... :-/

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I use XMMS.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I use Audacious. It uses GTK which is a big plus point in my case.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

I got amarok to segfault like a dozen times in two days. Trash.

Now I just use mplayer on the command line.

Myrdos
Member #1,772
December 2001

Yes, XMMS is probably what you're looking for.

{"name":"pdaXqtrom-xmms.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/f\/8fc9f2b7a548daa285303bc0c93945c2.jpg","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/f\/8fc9f2b7a548daa285303bc0c93945c2"}pdaXqtrom-xmms.jpg

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

あ!ペンギンになっちゃったにょ <3

Another vote for Audacious here - or XMMS if you can still get it and there's some reason to favour it over Audacious. I'm not clear on the difference but they both look the same and have always worked fine for me.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Probably because I think Audacious is XMMS2 renamed. XMMS itself is mainly discontinued.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I used to use xmms, but it was unmaintained and derelict five years ago at least. I never did find a replacement that I liked, but for the past few years I also haven't looked very hard.
These days, when I want to play an audio file, I just use mplayer. That's on a Mac though...

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

I use mpd (Music Player Daemon) with ncmpc (a curses client, but there are graphical ones) and the xfce mpc plugin to control it from the xfce panel. I have the multimedia keys on my keyboard set up to control mpd as well.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I use rythmbox and hate it!! >:(

I might give foobar2000 + wine a shot... I love foobar2000

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

That XMMS screenshot looks like the player that I use...

I use Winamp v2.95. Newer is not always better. :)

-----------

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

That's probably because its basically a Winamp 2 clone. Even loads Winamp 2 themes.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

1   2 

Go to: