Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Linux music player that doesn't suck?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Linux music player that doesn't suck?
Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

I use Winamp v2.95. Newer is not always better.

Sometimes it is. No linux version though, for the OP. Maybe it works with wine.

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

At first, I was really put away by gmusicbrowser too (I hated the default UI and wanted to throw it into the garbage immediately), but then I gave it another try and found a feature that made this program amazing for me: layouts. You can hardly say that this program has one UI, because it's so amazingly modifiable. You can make it look completely different from the default UI, and there are a number of layouts that do exactly that.

Nowadays I happily use gmusicbrowser with the Shimmer Desktop layout, and perhaps you could like the Shimmer Netbook layout, if you want to find a media player that's suitable for usage on a netbook.

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Until you realize that gmusicbrowser thinks that "search" == "immediately switch". Yes, that's right. Start typing to try to queue a song, and it'll filter the playlist (so far, so good)... and then immediately switch to the first song on the filtered list as soon as the currently playing song disappears from it. In other words: UI full of fail. :P

(Also, while some of the layouts are usable, the configuration dialog still has a humongous minimum size (why, Linux developers, why?), so I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to see all the options :P)

I guess I'll give Audacious a try. But I'm not hopeful.

[EDIT]
And I was right not to be.
Audacious apparently lacks even a rudimentary search function. Or, well, you can press CTRL+F and get a search box - it just doesn't do anything...
Oh, and the Winamp interface's playlist is unresizable. :P

I hereby conclude that my search is futile. :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

I take that for granted in any music player.
Not having search => UI full of fail.

[EDIT]
Oh, that category also includes players without a random play function. I.e. the ones that can only shuffle the playlist, not the actual playing order (gmusicbrowser fails at this as well). :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

What's wrong with wine + winamp 5?

You don't deserve my sig.

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

Did you try pressing 'j' in Audacious? I think I remember that this brought up a search window.

Too bad that you find gmusicbrowser 'full of fail', but I wish you good luck finding something that more closely suits your requirements.

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

I could bring up a search window. It just didn't do anything. :P

Too bad that you find gmusicbrowser 'full of fail'

• Search function with such deliberately broken behavior that the developer should be ashamed of himself

• Dialogs with minimum sizes (larger than my screen) for no goddamn reason

• No random play

So yes. Full of Fail.

--

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

For what it's worth, Ctrl-f works here (audacious 3). You can also use the j key for a different search.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I think it would be good for graphical UIs to abstract away from specifics and just describe what is necessary to interact with the program. You don't need to specify pixel-by-pixel images, etc. You need to specify labels and inputs. That's all. That can be done very abstractly, leaving the implementation up to the platform in question, which knows its bounds and actual user shell. The only need for graphics is commercial "one-size fits all" brand-name software, which on a whole doesn't even fucking work anyway. I'm not all that impressed with GUIs in Linux either. Fortunately, there's numerous very effective and practical command shells which work very well. :) I use the GUI very little on any platform. I am satisfied with Amarok, but that's because I buy only good music (I throw away the CDs that I'm not satisfied with) so for the most part I'm satisfied regardless, even if that means software shuffling randomly throughout my entire library. I rarely care to skip a track.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Except that the look of an auto-generated form is shit.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

99% of software attempts to mimic a basically accepted design anyway. The problem is that most companies/organizations have programmers attempting to build these UIs instead of designers. The end result is pixels that work on a developer's machine and not on the users'. A generic solution can move from CLI, to GUI, to phone portable (and beyond). The UI should be able to easily appear native to the platform. Basic UIs (including GUIs) are only composed of a few standard components anyway.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

What do you think would be a good basic approach?

For websites, it seems like the HTML/CSS abstraction is exactly that, as long as the HTML author knows to program with no design intention.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm not a designer so I don't know. I'm a programmer. I know the very least of HTML/CSS to get by. It's a rather poor abstraction, if you ask me. Most HTML/CSS authors (in my experience) don't understand the model and use pixels and various hacks to make things "work" on their given platform (e.g., <table>).

I only have very little experience with very rudimentary UIs, but with Qt it seems you can basically layout a form with various panels that automatically orient "children" a certain way. The result is that they are automatically mapped to a certain layout and size/move accordingly with the container.

I imagine it's far more complicated than it looks and probably breaks down with more complicated UIs (though as we all know, complicated is the wrong direction anyway). In any case, I rather liked the concept. There was no need for coordinates or pixels. It was just foo and bar and the layout was automatic. I rather liked it.

I haven't bothered to study it, but I imagine that XForms is an attempt to bring something similar to the XML-based world. Unfortunately, AFAIK, no browser currently supports it.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

The biggest problem with HTML/CSS is that you can't completely separate document structure and layout. CSS3 is a huge step already, but you still can't arbitrarily reorder items on a page without resorting to fixed layouts. For example, given this simple document:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head><!-- yadda yadda --></head>
<body>
<p id="paragraph1">
Paragraph 1 (dynamic content)
</p>
<p id="paragraph2">
Paragraph 2 (also dynamic content)
</p>
</body>
</html>

...I don't see any way to make paragraph 2 appear before paragraph 1 while still retaining a flowing layout (that is, if paragraph 2 gets longer, paragraph 1 slides down to make room) through CSS alone, without changing the HTML.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Thanks Matthew, that looks promising. How about browser support for this shizzle?

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

None, as far as I know. The flexbox solves your stated problem more directly and is implemented by Webkit and Gecko.

But quite frankly, trying to turn HTML into an ambiguous XML document is silly.

1   2 

Go to: