Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Google rolls out Web 2.0 interface

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Google rolls out Web 2.0 interface
blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

A lot of you have probably started seeing the new interface being rolled out as part of their new social-networking service.

Also known as Google+

{"name":"604409","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/b\/7b6db659295fabb286653b51bcaa87f1.png","w":1366,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/b\/7b6db659295fabb286653b51bcaa87f1"}604409

Welcome to the new age 8-)

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Con-sarned whippersnappers always changing things around! Why, back in my day...

{"name":"googleclassictheme.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/5\/c56f5c1f5a62c3f79f1c7264efb76843.png","w":650,"h":440,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/5\/c56f5c1f5a62c3f79f1c7264efb76843"}googleclassictheme.png

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Why is the bar across the top so gray? ???

In gmail it's always been much less conspicuous.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

What's different about that, google maps has been like that for years? or are you talking about just that black strip across the top? matthew's had this for 3 years at allegro.cc :)

also, why black out your fetish sites, isn't it easier just to open google maps in a new window ;)

btw, anyone noticed in ff5 you can right click a tab and pin it to the top. Never noticed before and quite a good idea to save on toolbar space.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

Anyone have any invitations they can send out?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It also seems they have a new web site called "What do you love?"

http://www.wdyl.com/#

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

btw, anyone noticed in ff5 you can right click a tab and pin it to the top. Never noticed before and quite a good idea to save on toolbar space.

It's also available in FF4. I tried it briefly, but I don't entirely like how it shrinks the tab down. In particular, Gmail offers useful information in the page title that Firefox displays in the tab. If I pin it as an app tab then that information is hidden and I have to actually switch tabs to see if the status has changed (e.g., new mail or chat messages).

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

If the title bar changes, the app tab will be highlighted. So if new mail and chat messages changed the title bar, it would turn blue (at least on Windows)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

• Use an addon that shows the number of unread messages as part of the icon

• Use desktop notifications for new email

• Use a proper chat client

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

I can send out invites. Apparently they are down (well the direct method) but if i make a wall post with your email contacts you can click the "learn more" and find your way in. It's what i did.

-------------
Bah weep granah weep nini bong!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Considering I got bored with Facebook, I'm not sure if I want this or not.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

I'm definitely keen to give it a go - hopefully the good bits of FB without annoying games, surveys etc.

How are they doing it, is it invites from current users only like gmail was in the early days?

Pete

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

That's what it sounds like, but they may have handed out too many.

---
MiquelFire.red

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

I'm still getting people in by posting something on my wall that only they can see (ie: limiting access to someone with that gmail address). They get an email and then follow the links to sign up. If you want.. just send me your gmail.

-------------

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Just add @gmail.com for my name. Might as well see what's up with this.

---
MiquelFire.red

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

I'd like to give it a try too. oginer is my gmail account.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

You can add leverton@, I need something new to mock. >:(

Does anybody really think that Google is serious about this? Most of the things they do are just disorganized messes that get shutdown a year later.

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

Does anybody really think that Google is serious about this? Most of the things they do are just disorganized messes that get shutdown a year later.

They're serious about killing facebook.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Steve++ said:

They're serious about killing facebook.

An arbitrary collection of half-baked ideas loosely integrated together marketed with silly little info-videos won't do that.

People need well defined structure. They search for facebook.com on Google, go to the site, log in, and never leave.

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

They search for facebook.com on Google, go to the site, log in, and never leave.

Which is the only reason Google is still number one on Alexa.

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

Goalie Ca said:

If you want.. just send me your gmail.

My username @gmail.com, if you're willing.

I'm really curious to see what it is.

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

Okay. so i just added everyone who PM'd me or posted here. You should all get the invite shortly.

PS: Happy Canada Day (july 1st) to all you hosers!!

-------------

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I got my invite, but Google says they're full. Guess too many people want to see what Google is doing to attempt to kill Facebook. Then again, I saw that message since I first saw the page.

---
MiquelFire.red

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I'd be interested in seeing it as well, so if you're still doing the wall-post-signup thing... my gmail username is 'karadoc'[1]

References

1. in fact, my gmail username is karadoc regardless of whether or not your are still doing that!

-----------

Go to: