Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Google rolls out Web 2.0 interface

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Google rolls out Web 2.0 interface
blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

How do I change my language/locale back to United States/English? The invite from Goalie defaulted everything to French ???

{"name":"Oops%20kid.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/5\/35a13f9062a3744b19ddd2d8410a1193.jpg","w":375,"h":500,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/5\/35a13f9062a3744b19ddd2d8410a1193"}Oops%20kid.jpg

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

1. Click the gear icon on the top right.

2. Choose the first option.

3. Click the language link on the left sidebar. (Fourth option with a blue speech bubble)

4. Select English.

Or just learn French. That's what I did. :o

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Polly voo fransay?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

An old co-worker actually has a + account, so at least one person I know is there.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

Le best bug evarrrr

{"name":"604440","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/e\/be48909aa16d128b37457486cc87e032.gif","w":301,"h":301,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/e\/be48909aa16d128b37457486cc87e032"}604440

-------------
Bah weep granah weep nini bong!

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

They're seriously going by invites again? They didn't learn from Orkut?

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Invites worked well enough for GMail.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Yes, but Gmail simply plugged into an existing structure: if you wanted to communicate with someone else, they didn't need a Gmail account - they just needed an e-mail account. No need to worry about the network effect.
With Google+, this is not the case. Look at Orkut and Wave: the invite-only system made sure the projects never achieved critical mass.

Nowadays, they might have enough hype to draw people in regardless, but it's still a shitty tactic to kick-start a social networking system.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I agree with gnolam. I think it's a major buzz-kill to join and not have anybody to connect with... Of course early adopters are likely to be nerds without friends, so maybe it is irrelevant.

Now the major (and only real) difference between Google+ and Facebook is that you can follow anybody. So I suppose, even if you don't connect with anybody as a friend, you could still use it to follow people like you might with Twitter. That is, even if you don't use the service yourself, you may use it to keep tabs on other people who do.

I do think Google+ has a major advantage in that it has been able to learn from Facebook and Twitter and start something slimmer that works better. But I don't know if that will be enough for it to catch on. Especially because the longer Google+ is around, the more Google will complicate it to the point where it is just as spammy and messed up as any other social networking site.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

{"name":"comic.php","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/e\/4ef8441de20bd5162eae3f5535086c70.gif","w":700,"h":485,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/e\/4ef8441de20bd5162eae3f5535086c70"}comic.php

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'm tired of duckduckgo already. <sigh>

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Google+ is extremely beta right now. They are even having trouble keeping up with what little traffic they already have. I wouldn't expect much from Google+ for quite a while.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I've setup my search as duckduckgo, but I have some concerns. If I search a location, it doesn't give me a map. It doesn't give me weather information. It sometimes lists a huge number of unrelated "related" stuff at the top. Sometimes it's really cool, because I like random things with insignificant shared associations, but sometimes it's bulky and annoying. Example: Search for "Firebug".

Image search is also something I use daily. :-/

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Google rocks. Simple.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Matthew said:

Or just learn French. That's what I did.

You're now ready for a 'Côte du Rhône' stage at my house ;-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Quote:

Example: Search for "Firebug" [duckduckgo.com].

What's the problem? The first few hits are:

• the official website of the firebug plugin

• the myspace page of the band 'FireBug'

• the official mozilla plugin page for the firebug plugin

• the wikipedia page of the insect called firebug

• firebug.co.nz, a web site promoting a yacht type that goes by the name 'firebug'

I'd call that bull's eye.

On Google, the first 5 results are all about the mozilla plugin; of the first 10 results, only three are not about the plugin.

Dizzy Egg said:

Google rocks. Simple.

I've spent the better part of this work day wading through the Google AdWords API, and my appreciation for Google as a company has suffered considerably.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

It wasn't a reference to the results being poor, it was the unrelated information in the "meaning" block, where it guesses the meaning of your query.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Duckduckgo said:

Get results for different meanings of Firebug: [Dictionary]

Firebug, a common insect of the family Pyrrhocoridae.

arson, fire-based vandalism
pyromania, an impulse-control disorder related to fascination with fire
Firebug (comics) - Firebug is the name of 2 DC Comics supervillains.

Firebug (computer game) - Firebug was a computer game by MUSE Software for the Apple II computer.

Firebug (web development), an extension for Mozilla Firefox
More meanings...

To me, it looks like it worked very well. I'm not sure what you are complaining about. If you are simply saying that the information box shouldn't exist, I suggest you turn it off by going to the settings screen.

-----------

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I searched for piza and it returned results for pizza. ::)

The UI is so distracting. There's more than one thing to click on.

Time for a new search engine. >:(

Quote:

How do I improve my rankings?
The best way is to get links from high quality sites like Wikipedia.

Hahahaha...

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I'm not sure what you are complaining about

The gist of the post was that it tells me lots of irrelevant things at the top, but it fails at showing me relevant things that are actually useful. Ie. Maps, images, or results weighted by the amount of data available on the percievable internet rather than an attempt at "pidgeon holed" algorithms.

Of course, I'm comparing it to Google, which really isn't fair at all.
These guys don't dabble in even 5% of the markets that Google does.

Again, this isn't a shot at the results. So far those are good. It's the extra stuff, which disabling doesn't always improve (albeit, you're right, sometimes it does). There is a lack of integrative features.

I may have made up a new word in this post.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'm trying to upload a profile picture to Google+, but it keeps getting resized to tiny for no reason.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

It looks huge to me. :o

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I figured out the problem. Now I just need to figure out why my profile picture isn't showing up when I make comments. ???

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Google+ appears to have a very aggressive and arbitrary cache. And it's buggy.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Gotta love pre-beta software \o/

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Go to: