Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Games that should be remade...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Games that should be remade...
Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Some games have potential, yet the implementation sucks.
In other words.. the basic idea is good but the game fails..

These are candidate for a decent remake.
I can think of one in particular:

{"name":"ts","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/f\/bf74a35578baf95b2f092d1d605ed2e2.jpg","w":340,"h":500,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/f\/bf74a35578baf95b2f092d1d605ed2e2"}ts

according to some reviews , the worst game ever made, but the idea has potential I think... A FPS like game placed in the Dune universe could be very nice.

Lets post a list of these good idea bad implementation games. Maybe some of us will get some inspiration...

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Fury.

A game that tried to be the successor for Guild Wars competitive RPG PvP, but failed miserably for a lot of reasons (unpolished gameplay, trying to charge monthly fees for a PvP-only game (that even had fewer PvP game modes and maps than Guild Wars), completely ignore the community by committing some changes nobody wanted, making the not so many players/guilds to rage quit the game).

It was also way too much newbie unfriendly, since the unlocking of skills and armor was very slow, so at the beginning, with inferior armor and a very limited skill-set, all you did was lose, and it required a lot of playing until you had decent gear (but still crappy skills).

I've always loved Guild Wars PvP, unique and unmatched yet. The only game that has tried so far to mimic it, did it so wrong.

/wait for GW2 and hopes its PvP is just half as good as its predecessor.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Pong

QWOP

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Interstate '76.

Nice over-the-top story, great atmosphere, classic American cars, with guns, what more do you want? Too bad the graphics engine was buggy as shit, with terrain popping up and down all over the place, and completely unbelievable textures. I loved playing it regardless.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Miami Vice (Amstrad)
Free roaming (driving through Miami) in real-time, the game has many places that you can visit on foot anytime (clubs, bars, hotels..), but the goal is to arrive at the right time and place to arrest a suspect in the middle of a deal. The game manual gives a starting lists of rendezvous for Day 1 (some true, some false), and each arrest and successful interrogation gives a hint on another deal.
The game was sold before being finished, many things from the game manual were never implemented and the game is unwinnable.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Nostromo, zis is Oktoberfest! And it is unseasonably varm.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I'd love a remake of Carrier Command.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Crono Trigger. Awesome as it was, it suffered from being crammed onto that old SNES cartridge. Could use a combat system upgrade too IMHO. Ah, for that 3D fan remake to have been completed ...

video

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

dejaime
Member #12,984
June 2011

Final Fantasy Tactics...
It was awesome when I was a child with my psx...

But after you realise some stuff like poor (really poor) class balance, super skills (you can kill the last boss with one char in lvl 1) and probably the worst difficulty scaling I've ever seen (first battles are easy, mid game is harder, last game's parts are easier than the game's beginning), bugs...

Well, if it got remade:
- some bugs removed
- rebalance
- scale the difficulty
- fix a little some abuse-able combos... and so on
Who knows? would be really better, I'm sure of it

@23yrold3yrold
http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/
Sadly :(

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Well, FFT has 2 sequels: FFT: Advance (for GBA), and FFT: A2 (for DS). I've played this last one and it's pretty good. On the other hand, Tactics Ogre was a much better game than FFT.

I've just found out that FFT: A2 was developed by the same guys who made Tactics Ogre (they got hired by Square).

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

Final Fantasy Tactics did get remade, for the PSP. I'm not sure if they re-balanced the game at all, but they did add a few new classes as well as CG cut-scenes. Also, you may want to check out the v1.3 patch for balance issues.

dejaime said:

probably the worst difficulty scaling I've ever seen (first battles are easy, mid game is harder, last game's parts are easier than the game's beginning)

It really depends on how you play. The way I play, the beginning is actually somewhat difficult. I mostly focus on JP farming. By Dorter or Thieve's Fort, I'll prolly be using Lancers (I don't think you can even buy lances until like midway through 2nd chapter at earliest, it's been a while). And then a couple battles later, either Miluda 2 or Weigraf 1, I'll have a (or hopefully several) dancer(s) and then all of the rest of the game is pretty much a cake walk, especially if you don't do at least some of the "War of the Gods" cheats (post 3). I think I normally do Enemy JP Bypass, Hard Mode, and Enemy Equips Best Items.

Well, FFT has 2 sequels: FFT: Advance (for GBA), and FFT: A2 (for DS).

I played (some of) FFT:A, and really hated it. I can't remember why, specifically, maybe just because I think it didn't live up to the original. Someday I'll probably go back and play it again.

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Monster 1. Oh wait, I'm already planning on doing that, for xbox 360 Indie.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Yeah, I know. Incidentally, one of the recent Image of the Day entries is a screenshot of my FFT demo. :) I liked FFT too, but there were too many classes, too much grind, and everything was simultaneously generic (Stasis Sword spam) and unnecessarily complicated (I completely ignored Brave and Faith in my setups).

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

unnecessarily complicated (I completely ignored Brave and Faith in my setups).

97 Brave + Blade Grasp + 3 Faith = basically immortal. Heh.

I liked the Brave and Faith system. I don't think it was really that complicated. Higher Brave means more physical damage as well as a higher chance of using your reaction ability. Higher Faith means you deal more magic damage, but in turn are more susceptible to magic damage.

Though, I will admit that they are perfectly reasonable stats to just ignore.

The really complicated stat was alignment. To this day, I can't recognize the alignment symbols nor can I even remember which alignments they are good against. But, for the all the complex-itude, alignment is even less significant that Brave and Faith.

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I forgot alignment even existed. And I thought Bravery and Faith were like mirror images of each other, like more of one made you take and deal more damage to the other or something. Shows how much it mattered, I guess.

I just read up on an FAQ for them. I guess that's neat, but I never noticed much difference. I still have FFT in my PlayStation because I started a new game for "research"; maybe I should try abusing those stats ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Constructor, I loved the basic gameplay. But once the problems started accumulating and the competitors started sending saboteurs I did not like it. I'd like a version without the street war part.

It's also pretty hard to get it to run on any computer, I was just lucky enough to have it work on the computer I had when I got the game, since then I've never managed to get it working anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructor_%28video_game%29

Elverion
Member #6,239
September 2005

This.
{"name":"604412","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a8011914750e6074df7e3b5d5b97e960.jpg","w":640,"h":460,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a8011914750e6074df7e3b5d5b97e960"}604412
I hope I'm not the only one that thought this was one of the best games.

--
SolarStrike Software - MicroMacro home - Automation software.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I actually couldn't get into Secret of Evermore too much. Wasn't bad, but not my favorite Square game TBH.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I loved that game. Got stuck late into it on another planet or something with weird aliens in this alien base or something like that. Had to return it (it was a rental). It was physical dexterity that was the problem, I think hitting some beams or something like that.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Warning: Incoming mini-rant!

I thought it was a deeply flawed game. From the near-obsessive dependence on mazes throughout the game to the easily-b0rked magic system (get that first fire spell to level 9 with about 30 minutes of grinding, and ~90% of the game is a cinch), I felt awful for having bought it, and even worse for finishing it.

Really, whoever thought up the tree maze should be banned from making games for life. Eww... I actually enjoyed Robotrek and Brainlord more than Secret of Evermore ^__^ That says a lot.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Elverion
Member #6,239
September 2005

Sirocco said:

From the near-obsessive dependence on mazes throughout the game

I wouldn't exactly call it a dependence. The game had a lot of other stuff going on. Besides, most of the mazes had some sort of trick to them. For example, in one of the sewers, you could, literally, just not push any buttons at all and the water would push you and complete the "maze" for you. Others had tell-tale signs of which way to go.

Quote:

to the easily-b0rked magic system (get that first fire spell to level 9 with about 30 minutes of grinding, and ~90% of the game is a cinch)

You don't see the problem there? Grinding anything in a game with a leveling system is going to make it easy. I don't see where you're going with this.

I do agree, though, that the forest maze was kind of annoying. Still, even with just taking random directions, it shouldn't take you longer than 10 minutes to get through to the boss.

--
SolarStrike Software - MicroMacro home - Automation software.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

97 Brave + Blade Grasp + 3 Faith = basically immortal.

As a monk with two swords and max AT+ equip ;D

FFT has been my favourite game since the day I played it. It's the only game I have deemed worthy of being listed on my Facebook profile ;)

It's a little unbalanced. My super awesome and amazing one-man-coded MMORPG with Allegro was dreamed up as a multi-player game that resembles FFT. ;D

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Polybios: seconded!

Other than that... Master of Magic. Update the user interface, add some of the good civ features (yes, MoM shamelessly copied Civilization) that have been invented since the original, and fix the balance issues and it would be awesome.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

gnolam said:

and fix the balance issues and it would be awesome.

At least this can already be done, since a remake is unlikely. The game's data structures have been well mapped out, making modding easy.

1   2 

Go to: